REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Repairing rust spots

Could anyone tell me, roughly, how much it would cost to repair the following rust spots? It's a car I might buy, so I can't take it in to a body shop and get an estimate just yet.

Advertisement
Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Sand it down and hope its just surface rust/bubbles.

If it is just surface rust get rid of it and maybe an inch around it or so.

Sand down - kill rust.
Wipe down with a cloth apply alcohol, then wipe off with a cloth that leaves no residue.

Proceed to prime it, 3 coats of whatever, then sand lightly the prime, wipe down again etc, apply color match paint of the body, then clear coat it, call it a day.
.Kev. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Based on the year of the car and what a quality shop would charge to fix it, it isn't worth fixing through a shop. You could get the shop to just duraglass over any rust holes but it will not last too long and would honestly be a waste of money. Shop's will do the repair anyway you want it done but will not warranty any of the work.

Right quarter isn't too bad, maybe 1.5 hrs repair plus paint
Left quarter looks rotted through. maybe 2.5-3 hours repair plus paint.
Save some money and find a used front door then paint.

Those are ballpark times based on grinding it down and fiberglassing right over any holes in the metal. Paint materials and labor are where you will probably decide not to fix it.
bad5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Based on what the picture shows I would guess that this car came into BC from the snowbelt back east where they use salt, lots of it, on the roads. Chances are there is a lot more not showing underneath, in wheel wells and in chassis areas etc. Once the stuff starts the only way to treat it is to cut the rust out and replace with new metal...if you want to keep the car. You will never stop it unless the metal is 100% rust free when you begin to repair it. If it's just a junker then body fill over it and go for it.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Honestly from personal experience.. just don't waste money on buying a cheaper rusty car. It's not worth it.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote