REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Business Idea

Hello all,

I am thinking about leaving my job and starting my own business. I never liked working for anyone and have always wanted to be self employed. However, I dont have any fresh ideas to bring to the economy. I have a little bit of money saved so that will not be an issue, but it would have to make serious sense. What do you guys think? It can be service, retail etc..

How about something like a lordco, but with JDM parts only :-)
I wish... lol

Anyways let me know.

Thanks,
Advertisement
RHMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

If someone had an excellent idea, why would they give it to you?
Secondly, if it's not your own idea, you won't be passionate about it and will have a higher failure rate. Find something you're very good at and explore ways to turn that into a business.

[edit] And if you're thinking about a JDM parts store, you are about 10 years too late and will fail miserably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHMadness View Post
Hello all,

I am thinking about leaving my job and starting my own business. I never liked working for anyone and have always wanted to be self employed. However, I dont have any fresh ideas to bring to the economy. I have a little bit of money saved so that will not be an issue, but it would have to make serious sense. What do you guys think? It can be service, retail etc..

How about something like a lordco, but with JDM parts only :-)
I wish... lol

Anyways let me know.

Thanks,
I hope you see the problem...

Since you have a little bit of money, I suggest you look at buying a business so you can operate it yourself. Something like a small coffee shop, or deli or pizza joint. Alternatively, you can be an angel to someone who has an idea but does not have the money.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

start ur own plumbing/construction company costs relatively low. and these guys make 2-300k per year once you get a good clientelle base
mr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

As someone who does book keeping for small business I will tell you seriously and honestly that most people have NO idea what sort of expenses come into running and owning a business.

Further, parts (or any retail) is an expensive way to go as you always have to have a LOT of expensive inventory lying around in the case that a customer wants it. This ties up a huge amount of cash, cash you'll have to pay up front because you won't have an established credit history with your supplier(s).

For the sort of business you're talking about, I would hope that a "little bit of cash laying around" is in the ballpark of at least 200,000 (though I would feel safe with more, much more).

TH's suggestion that you purchase an already existing company is a good one. Just make sure you do your due diligence. A better, but longer term plan is to go in as a manager at a business, with the option to eventually buy it out. The BIG plus here is you will know after a year if this business is viable. Something that's easy to mask on paper and accounting reports.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
lol, there is no way he can be an angel investor with a little bit of money saved, plus I doubt he even has any skills to assess whether a start-up company is viable or not. VC is extremely risky and is not for some average joe, plus the contribution is not a small amount, and the return is very uncertain and may take many years.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,342 Times in 3,438 Posts
Do you like working long hours 7 days a week than a small business is for you. If not keep your day job.