REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
lol

anyone else get this message?

Hi there
I'm a reporter at the Vancouver Sun, writing a story about stolen N signs. I saw your post from last year about how you were ticketed for not displaying your 'N' sign, but in fact you lost it. Would you be willing to do a quick interview with me today about stolen 'N' signs, and your own experience with yours being stolen?

Let me know asap, my number is 604 605 2193. Or you can e-mail me at slaw@vancouversun.com

My deadline is 1pm.

Best,
Stephanie
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
That's hilarious. Stolen N epidemic hitting the Vancouver Sun?
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
The "You'd Know" Moderator

So... did you talk to Stephanie Law?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #4

sounds like an intern.

they work hard, for free.

interns are hot.
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
lol wot?

http://twitter.com/#!/lawsteph
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #6

More like WAT...

What
A
Troll

She's not a hot intern at all. My theory is fucked.
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Anyone bet that the Sun story will show that the Cops are targeting young drivers and harassing them for no reason? Anyone with the intelegence required to pass the computer test and 1st road test to get their N should be able to figure out a way to follow the restrictions written on the back of their DL. I never ever issued a VT for the "L" not being displayed but often when stopping violators for other reasons, found that the N driver did not have the N there. Wonder why nobody ever steals/looses/forgets/ has it fall off/have it behind dark tint/have it flat on the rear deck etc...the required L new driver sign? Wonder if the investigative reporter from the Sun will ask those questions? Bet they don't unless they are reading these posts....and then I don't expect the facts to get in the way of their story.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Wonder why nobody ever steals/looses/forgets/ has it fall off/have it behind dark tint/have it flat on the rear deck etc...the required L new driver sign?
I think it's because when they got their N, they think if they drive like they have few years experience, cops won't bother them. So they just leave their N on the car and never check to see if its still there or not. Learners usually don't drive as often so they remove it everytime they finish "practicing".

When i was still an N, i never got pulled over. After i got my class 5, i got pulled over 5 times within 2 months checking to see if i was violating any restrictions. I was glad i had a habit of removing the magnet when i park and sticking it back on before i drive.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

I just googled the reporter's website..got this info.

Stephanie Law

@lawsteph coast salish territory

journalist, epidemiologist and firm believer in social justice. temporarily at the Vancouver Sun.

http://www.lawsteph.com/

Yep. No chance of any biases or pre-conceptions possible there. As expected, firmly in the typical extreme left wing camp. The company she keeps and the positions they support are very interesting, to say the least.

Last edited by zulutango; 06-08-2011 at 05:23 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyGreenTea View Post
I think it's because when they got their N, they think if they drive like they have few years experience, cops won't bother them. So they just leave their N on the car and never check to see if its still there or not. Learners usually don't drive as often so they remove it everytime they finish "practicing".

When i was still an N, i never got pulled over. After i got my class 5, i got pulled over 5 times within 2 months checking to see if i was violating any restrictions. I was glad i had a habit of removing the magnet when i park and sticking it back on before i drive.
I'm glad you were able to figure out how too comply with your restrictions. Wasn't very difficult was it? I believe that you have hit on the real reason for the differences between the N and L drivers, and how they handle the signs...attitude.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

just talk to her man
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #12

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
I have my N sign stuck up against the back windshield which is slightly tined (factory).
I do this because I have had 3 N signs stolen. I put my third sign slighty under the license plate thinking noone would ply my license plate to get my N, but they did. Came back to find out my license plate was half off ..... Which is why I keep my N inside my car
Posted via RS Mobile
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

So...how was the date
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Did the article actually make it to print?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Why doesn't stephanie just start a thread and ask questions ... builds a better relationship that way.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #16

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
After I got my class 5 I got pulled over for speeding with a warning...
The officer asked me, "did you just get this?"
I answered, "yes."
"Do you have your N sign displayed?"
"No, it's a class 5. Class 5 doesn't need an N."

Le sigh....
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Why doesn't stephanie just start a thread and ask questions ... builds a better relationship that way.
maybe b/c if the dialogue is out in the open on a thread there's less opportunity for her to spin it?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...134/story.html

Quote:
"We wanted to make them easier to read for other road users and enforcement officers — that was the primary design improvement we were looking for."
Actually the new Velcro system sounds smart. I had used those plastic pouches for my signs, because a few of my cars physically didn't have enough room on the outside truck - but in the summer they constantly melted away, and I would be sticking sticking them back up multiple times throughout the day.

Those damn things cost me a good $400 +-
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
RS Peace Officer

"Neither ICBC, the RCMP nor the Vancouver police department have estimates on how often these signs are stolen or how much the theft costs the system."

Why is the estimation of the costs involved in "stolen" N signs the job of the Police? I would have had to polygraph every single driver I stopped to see if they were lying to avoid a ticket (is that possible in today's world?) or investigate to see if they really were the victim of thef...but considering the N is actually the property of ICBC then the driver really isn't the victim. We have all heard of drivers who continually were the "victims of N theft" on repeated occasions. One would think they wouldn't leave them on at any time in high theft areas, and specially after loosing them previously? There is no practical way to calculate the value of "stolen N's" because there is no way to calculate how many were actually stolen and how many were lost, fell off or were never there in the first place. Maybe some investigative reporting by the Sun could supply us with that answer?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
How does being left wing create a bias on N theft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I just googled the reporter's website..got this info.

Stephanie Law

@lawsteph coast salish territory

journalist, epidemiologist and firm believer in social justice. temporarily at the Vancouver Sun.

http://www.lawsteph.com/

Yep. No chance of any biases or pre-conceptions possible there. As expected, firmly in the typical extreme left wing camp. The company she keeps and the positions they support are very interesting, to say the least.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
RS Peace Officer

She says that stolen N's are a problem that is costing taxpayers and the Police are not doing anything about it. She then infers that the Police should be doing something about it because it is costing money.

You don't need the Govt to spend our money to redesign the N becaue of theft. If N's are being stolen then a 4 year old can figure out that removing it when you park the car and reinstalling it just before you drive away, will prevent that. How about approaching it from that angle? Why are drivers not doing just that? Why didn't she ask Sam McDonald why he lost his N on "numerous occasions"?? "Sam, why didn't you catch on after the first theft. Did you ever hear about N's being stolen from parked cars? Why did you continue to leave them on the outside of your car and permit them to be removed".
Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

That doesn't answer my previous question in the least, I'm not sure if you were even trying to or if your last post is just part of an ongoing rant. I guess to many kids told you someone stole their N..

Regardless, I'd still like an answer to my question as to how her political bias has influenced her position in the article.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #23
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Regardless, I'd still like an answer to my question as to how her political bias has influenced her position in the article.
Posted via RS Mobile
i dont think zulutango implied that the article has bias at all. he just commented (before it was out) that it would have some sort of bias (albeit sarcastically )

i think it's challenging to write an article with absolutely no bias as usually some stance has to be taken, or will be taken when writing an article.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i dont think zulutango implied that the article has bias at all. he just commented (before it was out) that it would have some sort of bias (albeit sarcastically )

i think it's challenging to write an article with absolutely no bias as usually some stance has to be taken, or will be taken when writing an article.
Unless your writing for the finance section I can't imagine it being possible to write an article without a bias, the question is what bias is present.

I'm young, so I'm biased towards supporting the young drivers.

Zulutango, given his career, is biased towards supporting the police position.

The writer, being politically left wing, is biased towards.. voting green? I don't see a connection between social politics and "stolen" N signs.

The solution to young drivers losing their Ns frequently is simple, stop giving them away for free!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

best solution put it in the car or nail it outside the car then no one will steal it ! and don't understand why people steal it they can just get it for free at ICBC lol..
ImKai is offline   Reply With Quote