REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Solar lights for the Garden

I am looking to get some solar lights that I can put in for my backyard garden.

Any recommendations in what are some decent choices? I don't want to spend too much on them, something cheap and long-lasting.
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Are you looking for ones that you can use around the edges of pathways and such? If so, I bought a bunch for my parents house and my patio @ Rona.http://rona.ca/shop/~light-gladiator...lar-light_shop

$2.49 ea.

They aren't super bright, but they have other ones in store for not too much more.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I got some at costco last year that are a bit prettier but were much more expensive.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
This is a bit of a stretch but would these solar lights prevent rodents such as raccoons and skunks from entering ones yard?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
not for racoons. my friend has a motion detecting light and it gets triggered by racoons walking around the yard. they just walk through like a boss.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post
Are you looking for ones that you can use around the edges of pathways and such? If so, I bought a bunch for my parents house and my patio @ Rona.http://rona.ca/shop/~light-gladiator...lar-light_shop

$2.49 ea.

They aren't super bright, but they have other ones in store for not too much more.
Thanks, I'll go to Rona and check it out.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This is a bit of a stretch but would these solar lights prevent rodents such as raccoons and skunks from entering ones yard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
not for racoons. my friend has a motion detecting light and it gets triggered by racoons walking around the yard. they just walk through like a boss.
I agree, these animals aren't afraid of light. Only thing I see them fearing are animals like dogs/cats depending on the specie and humans.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
RS Veteran

I have raccoons living next door every year around this time of year. Luckily I haven't seen them yet.

Thinking about getting some lights for the front lawn.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:

I have raccoons living next door every year around this time of year. Luckily I haven't seen them yet.

Thinking about getting some lights for the front lawn.
Since these solar lights don't seem to be expensive, get a few and see what happens. I am going to get a few myself for my backyard, I have rats/mice coming from my damn neighbourhoods house
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I agree, these animals aren't afraid of light. Only thing I see them fearing are animals like dogs/cats depending on the specie and humans.
the cats basically stopped and looked at the racoon when he walked by, it was like showing respect to the racoon while it was walking like a boss. only in vancouver you'd have cats and racoons acting all street with each other lol

i'm guessing if you dont want racoons around you'd need to put stuff around your property that leaves a scent that they don't like. my friend is screwed b/c the neighbour leaves cat food out for strays which the racoons get in on too.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
A motion detecting lawn sprinkler might keep them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated/dp/B000071NUS
Old 06-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
RS Veteran

^
LOL!

As much as I want to get rid of the raccoons, I don't want to get wet when my family and I get home late.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I bought some last summer and never used them. Around the garden is a perfect place to put them
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
The motion-detector water mechanism (aka ScareCrow) does not work. It's the biggest waste of money and isn't cheap! All the experts will tell you the same thing; any animal with half a brain will figure out the ScareCrow and trigger it so it can drink water from it instead of being scared of it.

There are only a few things you can do for raccoons, opossums and large birds like herons (all of which I've encountered as I have a koi pond in the backyard.)

First you can try a small mirrored ball and place a few of them throughout the yard. When an animal approaches, it gets scared of the reflection and thinks it's seeing a predator. These can be purchased from Art Knapp or Potters Nursery.

You can also add a REAL scare crow as it resembles a real person. These animals usually aren't afraid of many things; especially if they're nesting nearby. A scare crow however can act as a deterrent.

Lastly, these animals do have natural predators. Spreading the urine from a wolf (which can be obtained from your local pest removal company) will act as an effective deterrent.

These are the cheapest and easiest ways to remove a pest without having to trap the animal.

As for garden lights, if you're just using them for decorative purposes, I would suggest getting the solar LED color-changing lights with bubbles. They work great, look the best, last long and are cheap! Available at JYSK for $5.99
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

This will also keep them out of your yard and it looks like you can control it with a laptop.

minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote