REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Carbon parts ?

I'm sick and tired of the shitty parts I have from Seibon. I've had my hood less than 4 months and it's already cracked from being parked in a heated garage. The epoxy and aftercoating is uneven in many places, the carbon coloration is fading (and I make it a point in not parking in the sun). I purchased from them directly and they are giving me terrible customer service (not replying to e-mails, giving me the run around, etc). Has anyone else experienced this ?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good reputable carbon company other than Seibon and Vis ? My current car is a 2012 STi.
Advertisement
Onassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
If you want better quality, go for authentic.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

2012 STIs are out already?
iamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
this may not apply to you directly, but ARK makes some pretty good stuff in terms of CF hoods, trunks, lips and other parts for my car (genesis coupe)

i've heard of STi's that are running ARK's coilovers. since that's the case i'm under the assumption they have other parts for your car too. might be worth a look

good luck!
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
If you want better quality, go for authentic.
I'm all for supporting JDM tuners but Subaru & STi never produced a stock carbon hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamed View Post
2012 STIs are out already?
Sorry I meant a 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
this may not apply to you directly, but ARK makes some pretty good stuff in terms of CF hoods, trunks, lips and other parts for my car (genesis coupe)

i've heard of STi's that are running ARK's coilovers. since that's the case i'm under the assumption they have other parts for your car too. might be worth a look

good luck!
Thanks for the tip ! But they don't seem to have any carbon parts for the STi on their site.
Onassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
you have other options other than seibon,

ive always found VIS higher quality than seibon, but of course, its more expensive.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

OEM aluminum hood? color match the CF hood?
iamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i've had my seibon hood for over a year. i park outdoor in the sun/rain/snow all through this year .. hit a couple trips down to washington, whistler and daily ~ 80km a day and i've had no issues with fading or cracking.

I think you either had a bad defective product or just a guess maybe you didn't give it the TLC you should have?

I've always made sure to clean it as frequently as possible and give it a nice wax every 1-2 months. But mind you my hood had to endure all the weather vancouver has to give.

VIS and seibon hood is very similar in price .. i've heard bad stories on VIS as well before i made my purchase and they included bad clearcoat or uneven weave. I think it's a 50/50 shot. Just depends on the batch of materials they were using at the time ... carbon's never identical right? VIS was $550 and seibon was $600 when I picked up mine ... but it's a vw maybe pricing is weird.
vdub604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Just get the stick on stuff. Or enjoy being not covered by inusrance if you get into an accident with a CF part.
REAL CF on a street car with full interior is the ultimate poser lolz. Most people do it for looks, it makes no practical sense to "save weight" when you can gut your interior and drop more than cf could ever hope to accomplish.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

vdub is right.

Go look at the super-high end OEM carbon fiber parts on an audi/lambo/porsche and find out what they cost... then compare to how much you are willing to spend and understand that you will NOT get the same quality of weave and clear coat.

Also, all of seibon parts are "wet carbon" which means they are laid by hand just like fiberglass. When you roll/brush the resin on, it's fairly uneven and moves the weaves around. Even after vacuum bagging you won't get a perfect distribution of resin and strength. Most super high end clean OEM carbon parts are "dry carbon" aka "pre-preg" parts, which means they have the resin pre-impregnated into the carbon weave and when you bake it in a pressurize autoclave, you get an even distribution of resin, perfect finish with insane strength and super lightweight. Pre-preg is generally 3x-4x the cost of wet carbon.

I think Seibon has a 6month warranty. call them if you are unhappy.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Even the best carbon fiber parts from manufacturers like Porsche will show discoloration and fade. If one have a chance look at a well driven Carrera GT from the South, a lot of them have color fade and weave showing through paint etc.

The finishing has to do with the gel coat not as much as the resin. The problem is the compound is extremely expensive, more than gold / oz. In the end, they still fade.

The cost of prepregs is not too bad, their problem is their short use by date and storage (2 weeks). I've converted a freezer to transport mine from Seattle when I need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
vdub is right.

Go look at the super-high end OEM carbon fiber parts on an audi/lambo/porsche and find out what they cost... then compare to how much you are willing to spend and understand that you will NOT get the same quality of weave and clear coat.

Also, all of seibon parts are "wet carbon" which means they are laid by hand just like fiberglass. When you roll/brush the resin on, it's fairly uneven and moves the weaves around. Even after vacuum bagging you won't get a perfect distribution of resin and strength. Most super high end clean OEM carbon parts are "dry carbon" aka "pre-preg" parts, which means they have the resin pre-impregnated into the carbon weave and when you bake it in a pressurize autoclave, you get an even distribution of resin, perfect finish with insane strength and super lightweight. Pre-preg is generally 3x-4x the cost of wet carbon.

I think Seibon has a 6month warranty. call them if you are unhappy.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onassis View Post
I'm sick and tired of the shitty parts I have from Seibon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good reputable carbon company other than Seibon and Vis ? My current car is a 2012 STi.
I think you've just gotten unlucky. I've had carbon pieces from both companies on my car now for a long time and not had a single issue. I park every day in the sun, rain, snow, and i swear i live in cat town. Hood and trunk still look new, and I couldn't ask for more of a quality fiberglass backing for the parts either. Even my muffler is still fine and it's a muffler. I'd definitely be calling Seibon back though, maybe it's just a weak batch, since the car is brand new.
http://i.imgur.com/98sur.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/kL24e.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/bo5jk.jpg
Joreus is offline   Reply With Quote