REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 06-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Pets vs. Stratas

Friends of mine made the local paper: http://www.bclocalnews.com/tri_city_...123398038.html
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

Interviewed on CBC Radio this evening too! http://www.cbc.ca/onthecoast/episode...verheight-dog/
Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
I hate stratas and I love dogs. However, with that said, these bleeding heart bullshit news stories piss me right off.

#1 - It's not like their dog is a freak of nature, looking at the mix of breeds of that dog, it is pretty damn clear that the dog is not going to be a small dog.

#2 - It's not like their dog is 1cm over the limit, it is damn near 1.5 times as tall as the rule.

#3 - It's not like the rule is unclear or new. It was there when they moved in. It was there when they got the dog. THEY chose to ignore it, and they are paying the consequences.

What did they really expect would happen?

This is literally as retarded as getting a ticket for doing 150 in a 100 zone (1.5 times the limit) RIGHT after passing a giant 8' bolded bright yellow sign clearly stating that the speed limit is 100 and anybody going higher than that will be fined.

The dog clearly is important to them, so they need to move. Simple. Again with the bullshit bleeding heart crap "we cant move in 30 days" - they got a notice 2 months earlier that they chose to ignore. Moving in 3 months is not an impossible task.

Mark

Last edited by lowside67; 06-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I hate stratas and I love dogs. However, with that said, these bleeding heart bullshit news stories piss me right off.

#1 - It's not like their dog is a freak of nature, looking at the mix of breeds of that dog, it is pretty damn clear that the dog is not going to be a small dog.
Boston Terrier, beagle, and most varieties of bulldogs are all short dogs, any of which on their own would have come in well under the 14" limit. The boxer component is the only one that accounts for the height... and anyone who knows anything about mixed-breed dogs knows you can't tell in advance which traits will assert themselves where - case in point are my two Pom/Yorkie crosses, both from the same litter, one of which has a Yorkie's body and face with the Pom fluff, the other with the Pom body and face and long straight Yorkie hair.

Quote:
#3 - It's not like the rule is unclear or new. It was there when they moved in. It was there when they got the dog. THEY chose to ignore it, and they are paying the consequences.
Umm... they already lived there when they got the dog from a rescue. As a pup, he was WELL under the limit. The rescue vet told them (and provided a letter stating) that he didn't expect the dog to grow over that height. That he grew over the limit could not have been foreseen, especially when three of the four breeds he's a mix of are shorter-statured breeds.

Quote:
This is literally as retarded as getting a ticket for doing 150 in a 100 zone (1.5 times the limit) RIGHT after passing a giant 8' bolded bright yellow sign clearly stating that the speed limit is 100 and anybody going higher than that will be fined.
You want to consider the rest of the facts before making that analogy?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Oh... and no, they didn't "choose to ignore" the earlier notice - they've been fighting it since the day they first got it.

BTW, they also recently obtained copies of their strata meeting minutes... the strata wanted to do something to get rid of the dog *IN FEBRUARY*, and didn't bother to even send the first notice for two months. At that time, he WAS NOT over the limit... the only reason they can think of is that he looks a lot like a pit bull and the strata was looking for some other reason to turf him, because there's no "breed ban" bylaws.
Quote:
Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Boston Terrier, beagle, and most varieties of bulldogs are all short dogs, any of which on their own would have come in well under the 14" limit. The boxer component is the only one that accounts for the height... and anyone who knows anything about mixed-breed dogs knows you can't tell in advance which traits will assert themselves where - case in point are my two Pom/Yorkie crosses, both from the same litter, one of which has a Yorkie's body and face with the Pom fluff, the other with the Pom body and face and long straight Yorkie hair.

Umm... they already lived there when they got the dog from a rescue. As a pup, he was WELL under the limit. The rescue vet told them (and provided a letter stating) that he didn't expect the dog to grow over that height. That he grew over the limit could not have been foreseen, especially when three of the four breeds he's a mix of are shorter-statured breeds.

You want to consider the rest of the facts before making that analogy?
Doesn't matter he is over the height now. If they allow one pet to ingore the rule there will be others then what do the starta do? Rules are rules. As much as I hear the story this is one sides. I like to hear what the other side of the story is.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Actually, the way the bylaw is written, it doesn't specify the height "at full grown". One lawyer has already said they're clear on that point, because he WASN'T over-height when they brought him in... and apparently one strata council member had told them the same thing before they got Chewy.

If you listened to the CBC interview, you'll notice she says there are at least three other overheight dogs in the complex that aren't being targeted... which makes it appear there's some other reasoning at play.
Quote:
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #8

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150639581255402
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150640897170402
Quote:
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

IF they knew their strata had this bylaw, they should have looked into an appropriate breed.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
People move to these kinds of places with the sole purpose of avoiding pets. If you want to have a pet, you need to find out what kind of rules they have, and only go there if it's suitable.

Whatever their motivations were for getting rid of chewy, he is over the 35cm limit that was established before they adopted him. It sucks, but the only solution seems to be to move or let someone else take care of him.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
IF they knew their strata had this bylaw, they should have looked into an appropriate breed.

Did you not watch the video clips?

They got a DNA test and asked their vet BEFORE adopting him. Their vet told them he was unlikely to grow that tall, because THREE of the four breeds he's a mix of were SHORT dogs.

They didn't go "breed shopping" - they chose a rescue dog.

Quote:
People move to these kinds of places with the sole purpose of avoiding pets.
There's no bylaw against pets... only limits on them.

Quote:
If you want to have a pet, you need to find out what kind of rules they have, and only go there if it's suitable.
They KNEW the rules, that's WHY they got DNA test done first.

Quote:
Whatever their motivations were for getting rid of chewy, he is over the 35cm limit that was established before they adopted him. It sucks, but the only solution seems to be to move or let someone else take care of him.
Then explain the other two people with overheight dogs who haven't been hassled?
Quote:
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
OK "People move to these kinds of places with the sole purpose of avoiding LARGE SCARY LOOKING pets."

Quote:
They KNEW the rules, that's WHY they got DNA test done first.
Obviously there is no way to be certain that the dog will be over height. Unfortunately for them, it did.

Quote:
Then explain the other two people with overheight dogs who haven't been hassled?
Why haven't they shown these dogs? Do they exist?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

I can't stand strata attitudes to pets. One of my friends has a dog that is about .5 lbs away from the strata limit of 15lbs. They asked the strata what would happen if the dog put on a pound, and the strata said that they'd ask the dog to leave.

People don't move into these places for the sole purpose of avoiding pets, and they especially don't move into a place that allows pets for the sole purpose of avoiding pets.

Many pet bylaws don't make sense. Size limits, weight limits, heck, it's usually the smaller dogs that cause the most disturbances. If think if you're going to allow dogs in a strata, you have to allow all sizes of dogs.

Soundy, as a dog lover I wish your friend the best of luck in this case. But I can't help but point out the irony here - "I didn't plan on going over the limit, can I have a break? It's not causing any harm to anyone".

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
OK "People move to these kinds of places with the sole purpose of avoiding LARGE SCARY LOOKING pets."

Obviously there is no way to be certain that the dog will be over height. Unfortunately for them, it did.

Why haven't they shown these dogs? Do they exist?

I highly doubt the "sole purpose" to move in stratas is to avoid 'scary looking pets'. It's all about money, they move there because it's cheaper than buying a house. I'm sure almost 80% of people would rather have a house if they can afford it. And the other 20% wouldn't move to stratas to avoid pets.

There should be rules, like a limit and what not. But if the pet is as gentle as what Soundy is saying I have no reason to believe he shouldn't stay.

Might as well say a cripple can't do this job because he's a cripple. At least see if he's capable. Sometimes rules are meant to bent in some circumstances. It's not the dog is fucking biting and barking. It's fucking 15 Inches taller or whatever, so just over a foot.

One thing I've learned is you can't always go with the books. You have to make judgement calls sometimes.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just read through this thread and I'm hoping that Chewy's owners can fight off the strata, if everything that's about it has been true. Sounds like the strata might have a couple of tight assholed fuckers on it that love to abuse their "power".

With that said, the rule is there for a reason, I get the dog lover argument in it of size doesn't matter etc. But some people just aren't comfortable around big dogs. I know in this case though that Chewy is apparently liked by all the neighbors, from what I remember watching on the news. So if they haven't, they should prepare a petition and get some support from their neighbors and not from people watching the news that have nothing to do with the situation. There's times when media exposure to an injustice is necessary and very helpful, this is not one of those times.
Fuhrėr-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrėr-Z View Post
Sounds like the strata might have a couple of tight assholed fuckers on it that love to abuse their "power".
When it comes to stratas, I always assume this is the case.

oh yeah:
FUCK Stratas!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
I highly doubt the "sole purpose" to move in stratas is to avoid 'scary looking pets'. It's all about money, they move there because it's cheaper than buying a house. I'm sure almost 80% of people would rather have a house if they can afford it. And the other 20% wouldn't move to stratas to avoid pets.

There should be rules, like a limit and what not. But if the pet is as gentle as what Soundy is saying I have no reason to believe he shouldn't stay.

Might as well say a cripple can't do this job because he's a cripple. At least see if he's capable. Sometimes rules are meant to bent in some circumstances. It's not the dog is fucking biting and barking. It's fucking 15 Inches taller or whatever, so just over a foot.

One thing I've learned is you can't always go with the books. You have to make judgement calls sometimes.
This. These strata people are obviously Nazis. The dog doesn't show any aggressive behavior and nobody is complaining. What's the fucking problem?

People getting scared of big dogs are fucking BS. The dog's size doesn't measure its aggressiveness level. These retarded stratas people should be ordered by the judge to take a fucking dog education course.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote