REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #26
mpr
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
So are you trying to imply the tires are the only reason why it's faster? Never mind the changes to the suspension, the new wheels that are 5lbs lighter, the new aerodynamics and rear spoiler, different transmission gear ratios and modified traction control system.
Quote:
I think he's trying to say that the Corvette cheated by using half-decent tires

No, I am not implying the tires is the ONLY reason the ZR1 is faster by 6 seconds nor did I state chevrolet ZR1 is cheating by using michelin sport cup tires.

I do think it is fair game and creative on chevrolet part to put the sport cup "r-compound" tires as an option for Z06/ZR1. I also think the cup tires are the major factor for the ZR1 to reduce the 6 seconds off nurburgring time. 1 - 1.5 seconds from a standard track ( 1:10 to 1:40 second per lap) is equivalent to about 4 -6 seconds at nurburgring.

Hence the reason I was curious how much time the GTR will run with the same spec tires. Can it reduce ~ 4.5 seconds from the 7:24.2. Some of the other items you listed may not make the ZR1 quicker example the changes in taller gears in the transmission only applies to 5th and 6th gear for fuel economy on highways.

My guess if the GTR is using the same spec tires would be very similar to the ZR1 but with about 100 hp less and 400 lb more.
Advertisement

Last edited by mpr; 06-11-2011 at 07:27 AM.
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #27
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
the interior of corvettes still disappoint me.

but crazy video none the less
Looks pretty good to me, inside and out.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
My guess if the GTR is using the same spec tires would be very similar to the ZR1 but with about 100 hp less and 400 lb more.
And you just proved my point. More excuses for why the ZR1 is faster than the GT-R. If the GT-R had xxxx then it would be faster by yyyy blah blah blah.

Also interesting is that GM went out of their way to list the specs of the car making sure people understand it's not only a stock car as you would buy in the showroom, but even going so far as to say things like the alignment settings were stock. They did the same thing back in 2008.

Do you know why they did this? Because when the GT-R first ran the 'ring Nissan was being very vague about the specs of the car simply saying it was "stock". Nobody could get a straight answer out of Nissan about the tires they ran, octane of the gas, whether the alignment was stock and so on. Nissan has a history of this going back to the R-34 that first cracked 8 minutes at the 'ring and then refusing to let anyone examine the car afterwards.

GM was taking a clear shot at Nissan by listing every possible thing someone could claim was "tweaked" so there would be no doubts as to the condition of the car they ran (factory stock).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
mpr
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Typical bench racer reply. what point is that.
Should we measure our dicks with rulers now.

Seriously, I'm pointing out the fact that the sport cup tires used on the ZR1 in this comparison will be the equalizer for the GTR. Correct me if I'm wrong, I assume you haven't used michelin sport cup tires before.

I personally own corvette for 7 years. I autocross and tracked them. I have nothing against them. I love my car. And if anyone one of you guys out there does have a ZR1, please bring it out to autocross or track days, I'm curious to see how it perform on track with my eyes.

Tomorrow VCMC autocross
June 22nd Pacific Raceway Track
June 23rd Portland Raceway Track
July 8th VCMC Mission Track
July 16th Oregon Raceway Track
Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #30
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ Bench racing? Oh the irony. Did you not just say 1-1.5 seconds on a standard track equals 4-6 seconds at Nurburgring? Or that using Cup tires the GT-R would match the ZR1? Do you know what tires Nissan used on the GT-R? Have you used them and the Cups so you can form an opinion as to how much of a difference in lap times there are between the two? Seems like you're the one bench racing here.

And saying GM is being "creative" using Michelin Cup tires is hilarious considering how "creative" Nissan is with the cars they run.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Ease of driving it around or to the max would both be easier than in a zr-1. Since you seem to know so much about racing, in the purest enthusiast "run what you brung" competition I know of... One lap of America.
What corvette has EVER been as far ahead as the GTR was this year?
With the GTR your paying for innovation. With the ZR1 your paying to join the hair club for men, air vents that belong in a sunfire and nothing new unless you want to consider run flat technology a godsend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Ah, the predictable response of the fanboy. Come up with some ridiculous parameters to try and change the rules of the contest, which is Who's Faster. Now it becomes "which is easier to drive", "which car can carry 4 people", "which has the nicer interior" or even something as stupid as "who will win an endurance race".

Seriously? An "endurance type race"? That's the best comeback you can come up with? I know when I'm shopping for a sports car the top two items on my list are "is it easy to drive" and "will it run good in an endurance race".

BTW, have you even followed the GT-R in any racing series? Not those Best Motoring rigged races, I mean actual sanctioned races. It doesn't do well at all, getting its ass handed to it by Corvettes, Vipers, 911's and even the Cadillac CTS-V. If you don't believe me, head on over to www.world-challenge.com or www.gt1world.com where there are results of the various races they've run in.

Bottom line: the car isn't competitive at all. Just because you can run a fast lap at Nurburgring doesn't mean the car is actually a good base for a race car, as several teams are finding out. Cuz, you know, race series have rules that everyone must adhere to, so Nissan can't send a juiced up car like they can when they run Nurburgring.

All of which makes your endurance comment all the more entertaining.

Last edited by Death2Theft; 06-11-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Fuck this shit. Nobody here owns a ZR1 and nobody owns a GTR and who are willing to gou head to head. Persoanlly ythe zr1 is a better vehicle, i'd take a zr1 over a buncvh of computer shit dubbed into thinking they are a car. Fucking horseshit
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #33
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'm sure thats what horse riders thought when the model t came around, glad to see you and dragonay share the same train of thought.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote