REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Anyone heard of Strellson?

I'm about to buy a new suit and it's from a brand called Strellson. It was started by the sons of Hugo Boss and I've purchased quite a few things from them before. They're only sold at higher end men's stores and their prices certainly reflect that. Before I spent a $1000 on another suit, I wanted to know if anyone has heard about them or have any insights.

Here is the suit I'm looking at:



It's straight cut and very slim fit, something I haven't found from Hugo Boss.

http://www.strellson.com/
Advertisement
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 490
Thanked 111 Times in 63 Posts
They're popular in Europe and found in high end department stores and boutiques there as well. I would say they're in the same class as Hugo Boss, but imo they're brand logo of a cross reminds me too much of Victorinox which sells outdoor gear. If you're spending 1000 bucks on a suit I would stick with Hugo Boss and if you can shell out more, Zegna's the way to go.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,115
Thanked 185 Times in 118 Posts
They have Strellson at "the bay" downtown in the "west end" of the store. They have suits, shirts etc by Strellson there. Go have a look !!
king_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Alphamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 9,441
Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Insights?

As much as a name plays a role in a good suit, look for quality of materials and fabrication to justify costs as much as possible. Just cuz it's brand name don't mean shit (for the most part). Of course, it has to feel comfortable on you, too.

There are many sources for which you can learn about thread counts and other quality indicators.
__________________
Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
RESN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,014
Thanked 967 Times in 226 Posts
Got a Strellson suit today. For me, it fit better compared to some Hugo Boss ones I tried
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,046
Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
tried checking out their e-store

so stupid they block the website to canadians -_- at least let me check it out

who knows maybe i have a shipping address to somewhere that you do market to.


according to their site though Dunns and Staccato carry them
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
tried checking out their e-store

so stupid they block the website to canadians -_- at least let me check it out

who knows maybe i have a shipping address to somewhere that you do market to.


according to their site though Dunns and Staccato carry them
Ya I find that annoying too. Then again, most designer label websites are the same. You cannot browse the store unless there is one officially in your country.

I have been buying my Strellson stuff from Grasby's Menswear in South Surrey. I called the Bay as well, only downtown location carries them. I really liked the bicycle suit because it's dirt repellant, water repellant and has an inside zipper pocket.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,742
Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,085 Posts
Honestly most people see "Hugo Boss" and think the suits will be amazing but most Hugo Boss suits I've had a chance to try on were awful. The only suit from Hugo Boss that I liked was a suit I tried on at the Hugo Boss store in LV, it was actually made in Italy and the fit was amazing but the price tag was around $2200.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 490
Thanked 111 Times in 63 Posts
^Agreed. Italian made suits are of a much higher quality in terms of fit and quality of material. You would have to pay more than $1000 though if you're buying it here.

When I try on Hugo Boss suits, regardless of what the line was, they are always boxy leaving too much room at the body, except for their Hugo line. Although the fit was better, I didn't like the styles as it was more fashion forward and more for parties. I prefer something more classic. Some of the materials even feel like what they sell at Mexx. The higher cost is just for the label.

When I was in Milan, I wish I got a suit made. All the big brands were there and everything is cheaper than if you were to buy from another country except for the US. I don't know why but it seems possible for for the US to sell at lower prices. I was looking at some Ferragamo shoes and the States are selling them for $500 when they are 500 Euro.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 577
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
strellson is a great bang or your buck suit. i buy them on sale from the west end shop at the bay downtown u can get one for around $500. at the price i like them more than trying to get lucky at somewhere like the hugo boss outlet.

i have one that ive been wearing for two years, still in great shape minor wear on the elbows only.
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
^Agreed. Italian made suits are of a much higher quality in terms of fit and quality of material. You would have to pay more than $1000 though if you're buying it here.

When I try on Hugo Boss suits, regardless of what the line was, they are always boxy leaving too much room at the body, except for their Hugo line. Although the fit was better, I didn't like the styles as it was more fashion forward and more for parties. I prefer something more classic. Some of the materials even feel like what they sell at Mexx. The higher cost is just for the label.

When I was in Milan, I wish I got a suit made. All the big brands were there and everything is cheaper than if you were to buy from another country except for the US. I don't know why but it seems possible for for the US to sell at lower prices. I was looking at some Ferragamo shoes and the States are selling them for $500 when they are 500 Euro.
You're exactly right...That's why I find that I never wear my suit jacket but I love wearing the pants...When I go out to functions, I avoid wearing my Hugo Boss jacket because it's too boxy and squared out. The Strellson suit was nice and straight cut, proportionate to my body.

Serves me well for going to Harry Rosen...Those commissioned salesman will sell you anything. I spent $1800 on a suit from Hugo Boss when I was in high school years back and turns out it is the largest cut made by Hugo. When you see me, you would unanimously agree that I am far from a large cut.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #12
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,742
Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,085 Posts
Suits really depend on your body type despite what you read and what you're told. Like for example, most Hugo Boss are supposedly "slim cut", this is what most of the sales guys at Harry Rosen will tell you but this isn't true at all because I'm lean and every Hugo Boss suit I've tried on felt baggy. The other thing is there's so many body types it's nearly impossible to find the prefect suit unless you go custom or find the right suit for your body type. You also want to stay away from suits that need a lot of alternations.

I just got a Burberry suit from Holts and I specifically asked to see only slim fit suits and the sales guy didn't waste any time and showed me the only 3 suits that truly had a slim cut. The three were Burberry, Dolce & Gabanna "gold" and Gucci, I went with the Burberry because the fit was superior compared to the other two plus I have a Dolce suit which I was never impressed with.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 490
Thanked 111 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
You're exactly right...That's why I find that I never wear my suit jacket but I love wearing the pants...When I go out to functions, I avoid wearing my Hugo Boss jacket because it's too boxy and squared out. The Strellson suit was nice and straight cut, proportionate to my body.

Serves me well for going to Harry Rosen...Those commissioned salesman will sell you anything. I spent $1800 on a suit from Hugo Boss when I was in high school years back and turns out it is the largest cut made by Hugo. When you see me, you would unanimously agree that I am far from a large cut.
Yeah, sales ppl are too aggressive here. In Europe, they sometimes don't even say hello to you when you walk in the door. At high end department stores, you can try on almost whatever you like without getting bothered. Their products are not locked up. They carry almost every size and colour saving you the time of going to the particular boutique to hunt for the item.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 490
Thanked 111 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Suits really depend on your body type despite what you read and what you're told. Like for example, most Hugo Boss are supposedly "slim cut", this is what most of the sales guys at Harry Rosen will tell you but this isn't true at all because I'm lean and every Hugo Boss suit I've tried on felt baggy. The other thing is there's so many body types it's nearly impossible to find the prefect suit unless you go custom or find the right suit for your body type. You also want to stay away from suits that need a lot of alternations.

I just got a Burberry suit from Holts and I specifically asked to see only slim fit suits and the sales guy didn't waste any time and showed me the only 3 suits that truly had a slim cut. The three were Burberry, Dolce & Gabanna "gold" and Gucci, I went with the Burberry because the fit was superior compared to the other two plus I have a Dolce suit which I was never impressed with.
Good call on the Burberry. The fit is amazing for off the rack. Compared to other English brands like Paul Smith, I prefer Burberry for the quality in material. Have you tried on their trench coats? Amazing. I'm a small guy at 5'6" and 145 pounds so I don't have many choices with off the rack either. Other brands that fit me well are Balenciaga and Giorgio Armani but they're more expensive.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
So I picked up my bicycle suit from The Bay downtown any to my surprise, this suit that had JUST come out was on sale! I saved about $500! I called up the store I usually purchase my suits from, Grasby's, in South Surrey and filled them in on the situation and told them, even though I have my size and a better price at The Bay, I would prefer to purchase it from them as I have dealt with them for many years. He confirmed the price and told me that he would match the price.

My friend and I decided to purchase the Strellson suit at The Bay JUST IN CASE but didn't think it would be an issue at Grasby's. When I arrived there today, they decided that they were no longer going to honor the price match! Owner of Grasby's told me that "The Bay was NOT supposed to be selling this suit for any cheaper than the set price" and that he called the President of the company about the Bay and he is going to stop them from carrying their products.

Furthermore, he said the reason why it may have been on sale was because they didn't have any sizes left, let alone a 36, which is what he knew I needed. I explained to him that when he called they wouldn't have had a 36 left because I had already purchased it, at which point he started to yell at me telling me that he didn't want to match the price.

LOL I tried explaining to him that he didn't have to any that there wasn't any argument. I didn't need them to match the price, after all, I had already had the same suit, in the same size, for a cheaper price in my possession! I was only asking them to match the price so I could be loyal to their store and give them the business instead. Clearly they didn't see it that way.

Anyways, after being a loyal customer to this store since 2004, I would like to retract my original recommendation of going to Grasby's in South Surrey as their service is far beneath that of The Bay's :S
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net