REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 06-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Need help with flash/club photography!

so my friend is having a birthday party real soon and hes renting out some place.. he said theres gonna be dj's, lasers etc so its probably gonna be themed like a club or even be at some club.. ive seen some pretty cool pictures taken by people in nightclubs locally.. i just want to take this opportunity to learn how to shoot these photos.

1) how did he get these light streaks?
2) i notice that people jump around and move alot so wont pics be blurry when people move around? how did he take these?

and this one. the dj's hands are clearly moving but howd the photographer get a clear shot of the dj?

also another thing is, i have a flash but i have no clue how to use it. are there any good guides out there online? i have a pretty old flash.. its a nikon sb-26.
or can i just use pop-up flash? i have a gary fong style puffer but when i use it wont the light spread out everywhere?

sorry, i probably asked alot of questions and i have many more. hopefully someone can help me haha.
Advertisement

Last edited by insomniac; 06-12-2011 at 04:56 PM.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,070 Times in 557 Posts
i am not sure how the first picture is taken, but the 2nd one is what you need a variable zoom lense, zoom in or out as you are clicking the shutter, with ur flash on

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Lightstreaks actually happen pretty naturally
I took these photos at a pretty slow shutter speed around 1/6 or 1/10 with a 580ex and lightsphere

Lol u have me on FB so just check them out from last year's valentines dance, the pics are really shitty resolution but you get the point, Imagine that in a much darker club, I was surprised at how clear faces were at that slow of a shutter speed with the flash

Last edited by ilvtofu; 06-15-2011 at 07:57 AM.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
i am not sure how the first picture is taken, but the 2nd one is what you need a variable zoom lense, zoom in or out as you are clicking the shutter, with ur flash on
second picture doesn't look like a zoom burst. to me it just looks like a slow shutter speed and an ultra-wide.

if your flash is capable, use second-curtain sync. this basically causes the flash to fire at the end of the shutter action, which will allow you to capture people more sharply in slower-shutter speed. it can also help you "freeze" motion with the background still displaying the motion blur.

I'd suggest playing around a bit with the flash to become more comfortable. I found this site to be particularly useful with flash photography in general, but it is quite a read:

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-pho...hy-techniques/

hope this helps!
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
second picture doesn't look like a zoom burst. to me it just looks like a slow shutter speed and an ultra-wide.
almost looks more software(PP) than lens.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
The first picture was taken with the flash set to the second curtain sync, I'm pretty sure.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
for the first pic, did he aim the flash straight at the people? how can you get just the people and not the ground etc? thanks alot everyone!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
ddr
Snapping away

look at the shadow and guess where the light is coming from, seem to me it's from camera left.