REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
I don't get it

Golf mk6 TDI

im thinking about getting a golf TDI.
Anybody had experience with it?
Feedback would be good.
exterior, interior, reliability, worth the money?
something in that price range would u get something else?
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
cant go wrong however if your spending that much i would just get the mk6 jetta, the price difference is not that much and you get the same shit plus more.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
cant go wrong however if your spending that much i would just get the mk6 jetta, the price difference is not that much and you get the same shit plus more.
except in a Golf you'll get much better build materials. Compare the two side by side yes the Jetta is better value. But for some of us ... just can't look past the cheap plastics

Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Great for highway driving, excellent fuel economy. Excellent build quality, the Jetta doesn't come close. A $600 chip will give you 220hp and 296lb/ft of torque. But if your driving is more city oriented I'll save the money and get the 2.5 as it costs considerably less. Also if a TDI engine doesn't get up to highway speed regularly the intake manifold may be clogged, do a search on the issue and you'll see what I mean.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
except in a Golf you'll get much better build materials. Compare the two side by side yes the Jetta is better value. But for some of us ... just can't look past the cheap plastics

dislike the guages in the jetta...., on the other hand, the the golf guages are gangster
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Great for highway driving, excellent fuel economy. Excellent build quality, the Jetta doesn't come close. A $600 chip will give you 220hp and 296lb/ft of torque. But if your driving is more city oriented I'll save the money and get the 2.5 as it costs considerably less. Also if a TDI engine doesn't get up to highway speed regularly the intake manifold may be clogged, do a search on the issue and you'll see what I mean.
Are you sure those power figures are for the TDI? If so, that's impressive.

Does the clogged intake manifold problem still occur if you mostly drive in the city, but wind it out once in a while?
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
IMO the passat from the states is the best deal, brand new with the 2.5 which is more than enough power for $20k base already has dual zone climate control, bluetooth, etc. Don't forget our exchange rate, although the prices aren't out yet for canadian passats I don't think.

The tdi has been pretty reliable for my uncle who got both the mk4 and mk5 jetta tdi, also the resale value on these cars are really good. Be prepared to wait a while to get one though. TBH you can't go wrong with any of the engines they offer, the 2.5 is silky smooth and more than enough power, and the 2.0T is legendary lol.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
Are you sure those power figures are for the TDI? If so, that's impressive.

Does the clogged intake manifold problem still occur if you mostly drive in the city, but wind it out once in a while?
Iirc Unitronic makes the chip, contact PG Performance for more details. Right after having the car chipped, on my first drive home,

If your "once in a while" is at least once a week you should be fine. Also the DSG transmission is impressive. And be prepared to wait for the car (my order took about 4 months to arrive, factory order).
Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #9

Copied from their website: 180HP / 295LB-TQ - $550

That's still an unbelievable combination of performance, fuel economy and price. Do want.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:

That's a GTI interior. Not a TDI interior.

TDI interior is much cheaper:

Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
I don't get it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martijn...4984/lightbox/
Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Copied from their website: 180HP / 295LB-TQ - $550

That's still an unbelievable combination of performance, fuel economy and price. Do want.
You might be right, if so I stand corrected. But the increase in torque is what really makes the car

Interior is nice with the leather seat option (highline), feels better than my C300
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
Media Officer / MOD

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...440623335.html

awesome!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #14

the jetta's interior isnt THAT much cheaper quality than the golf...more or less the same.

imo the jetta looks wayy better and you get more bang for your buck for only 2-3g difference and its roomier and easier too sell

here is a good one.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...418997832.html

with 0k...not 100 not 1000 not 3000

oh and if your into modding then...

Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If you look at the new jetta, they actually cut a lot of corners to lower the price to compete with the lower price range vehicles like the fit, yaris, etc. Materials are cut around the engine bay like battery tray, engine covers, spare tire insulation, covers for various places in the trunk.

The most important difference between the mk5 and mk6 jetta is the rear suspension set up. The mk6 jetta does not have a multi-link rear suspension like the old one did. However the mk6 Golf does retain the mult-link set up.

Interior as well material on the dash is much better than the jetta.

Secondly definitely get the TDI over the 2.5 engine. Base price to TDI price is a huge increase at first, but in terms of fuel economy there is a substantial difference. TDI per tank of 55L ~ 800-1000 km whereas the same 55L in the 2.5 5 cyclinder gets a measly 400-500 km. The price of diesel is cheaper than gasoline in the lower mainland as well.
The 2.5L is harsh and undefined compared to the TDI and 2.0T, which both has received an update to "TSI" based in 2009+. The 2.5L has been the same one since 2004~2005. No vw fan/tech really recommends it as it makes less power, less economical and more harsh than any of its counterpart alternatives.

I organized a mk5/mk6 dyno day last year at evolution. There was two 2.5L rabbit, were automatic, one being 2006 model and one being 2008 model. I understand there are 2 versions of the 2.5L .. one made 150hp and one made 170hp. One had bolt ons (heads/exhaust/intake) with a chipped ecu ~ under 160whp. the newer 2.5L made under 150whp. Whereas the new TSI based TDI can get 200 bhp+ and almost 300btq using a revo software for $500 ... a difference of 50 hp from stock ... that's $10 for 1 hp .... best bang for the buck

Last of all .. you can't get the DSG in the 2.5L which means you're left with a 5 speed automatic slushbox. The 5 speed is really terrible as it's not smooth nor is it have any sporting potentials.

Last edited by vdub604; 06-19-2011 at 04:55 PM.
vdub604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
the jetta's interior isnt THAT much cheaper quality than the golf...more or less the same.

imo the jetta looks wayy better and you get more bang for your buck for only 2-3g difference and its roomier and easier too sell

here is a good one.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...418997832.html

with 0k...not 100 not 1000 not 3000

oh and if your into modding then...

notice how the rear wheel is pushed forward?

that's the rear trailing arm suspension for you.

I like the new Jetta, but i struggle with how my mk4 had better interior materials then it.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #17

If you're buying new, don't go to cowell or clarkdale. Go to Goldkey for the best price.

Capilano for service
Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #18

Quote:
notice how the rear wheel is pushed forward?

that's the rear trailing arm suspension for you.

I like the new Jetta, but i struggle with how my mk4 had better interior materials then it.
im a german fan boy so i love everything german and the only model of jetta that was a really really big disapointment was the base model ( 2.0L ) thats absolute shit, i drove one to get gas at the end of my shift and when i was done and parked it. I sat in my car and drove off, i felt like kissing my steering wheel....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub604 View Post
If you're buying new, don't go to cowell or clarkdale. Go to Goldkey for the best price.

Capilano for service
OR come see a salesman by the name of "Pork chop" at maple ridge vdub, hes super nice and i will make sure he gives you a dope price.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub604 View Post
The 2.5L has been the same one since 2004~2005. No vw fan/tech really recommends it as it makes less power, less economical and more harsh than any of its counterpart alternatives.

The 5 speed is really terrible as it's not smooth nor is it have any sporting potentials.
Your comments on the 2.5 surprise me. I rented a 2010 earlier this year, 2.5, AT. I put 1000 km's on it.

The engine was plenty powerful, broad torque, and got great mileage. I filled up after 600 km of highway driving and it would probably do another 100 km's before running dry. That is pretty good for a 55L tank. It also had a surpisingly sporty burble for an inline - perhaps that's the roughness you're referencing.

I agree about the automatic. No sporting potential.

Last edited by Mancini; 06-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
The inline-5 configuration is what makes it sound sporty. It's half of a Gallardo V10, don't you know? :wink:

The 2.5 is a little rough compared to the other two, IMO, and not very impressive. Get the TDI if you can - it's an awesome little gem.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #21
I don't get it

i dropped by clarkdale on main street. not the best customer service i had. Especially when there was a bunch of workers in there not doing anything
Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Your comments on the 2.5 surprise me. I rented a 2010 earlier this year, 2.5, AT. I put 1000 km's on it.

The engine was plenty powerful, broad torque, and got great mileage. I filled up after 600 km of highway driving and it would probably do another 100 km's before running dry. That is pretty good for a 55L tank. It also had a surpisingly sporty burble for an inline - perhaps that's the roughness you're referencing.

I agree about the automatic. No sporting potential.

Yeah it was surprising to me too ... I had it as a loaner when my gti went in to the shop. City driving is where it really sinks down below the other two motors. It just has this coarse feeling that I didn't expect from a relatively big motor. It feels like it gets out of puff, which is no good considering its not a scrawny motor.

Highway driving the 2.0t gets over 700km for sure. I went on a seattle cruise for a 6 hour drive straight highway, on tuned software passing people and slowing then passing and i got over 650km. Conservative driving will do it a lot more justice.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #23

If you're accustomed to a chipped gti any NA 2.5 is going to feel sluggish and your smaller motor is going to have less vibration. I think VW really struck a great balance between performance, mileage and dynamics with the 2.0T that is not possible in a naturally aspirated design.

I've owned three different 2.5's and I think VW's engine is in the ballpark.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #24
I don't get it

so i guess its a thumbs up for 2.0 tdi
Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w8ie-aler View Post
so i guess its a thumbs up for 2.0 tdi
Cool. If you get one post your impressions.