REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #7076
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Weber fined $2500, no suspension
Ohhh! $2500!!

A fine anywhere less than 5 digits for an pro athlete??

Not to mention Weber makes 7.5mil a year.

A $50,000 fine at the very least... might make him feel that itch.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #7077
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
No, it makes sense.

Current CBA says $2500 is the maximum fine.

To cost a player any more money, you have to suspend him so he forfeits salary.

I think the Weber decision is correct. I didn't think it was a dirty play. He was obviously frustrated but still, it's just a penalty...not suspension worthy. Plus Weber doesn't have a dirty reputation so give him a warning and say "Next time..."
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #7078

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
lol, just read the Province proposed Luongo for Lecavalier

Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #7079
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
would you guys do this? haha

HIT THE ROAD WITH THE CANUCKS!

Trip is $999 plus $150 in taxes haha

expensive?
Pretty $$ considering lower bowl tickets to Coyotes cost what, $20?

Our 2 game roadtrip in Januray will be $1500 taxes in for 2 people to watch both games in the low-lower bowl, 4 nights accomo, rental car the whole time, and food too.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #7080
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
lol, just read the Province proposed Luongo for Lecavalier

Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #7081
Banned By Establishment

Schneider is starting again tomorrow. Considering how Lu is so sensitive to everything, its good that Schneider starts this afternoon game because Lu might not be able to adjust.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #7082
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
For the lazy who wants the whole Gillis vs the Province thing in one shot. Written by PuckDaddy and VancouverSun contributor Harrison Mooney. But dont worry, its a neutral view on the situation. It just summarizes it.

Im curious what happened tonight at that Canucks Place charity event at Bayshore between the two LOL

Quote:
The Province, one of Vancouver's two major newspapers, raised eyebrows this morning when they published a news editorial that espoused a trade sending Roberto Luongo(notes) to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Vincent Lecavalier(notes).
Again, that's a news editorial, not a sports column. It appeared on page A20 and was attributed to the paper, as most news editorials are, as opposed to one writer in particular.
It was an odd vehicle for a trade proposal, especially one that was no better than something you'd see on a message board. It's a wonder The Province avoided "throwing in a second round pick to balance things out."
It bemused many, but it annoyed Vancouver Canucks' GM Mike Gillis, and this afternoon, the reigning GM of the Year unexpectedly called the Team 1040, Vancouver's local sports radio station, to say something about it.
After allowing the hosts to try to guess what he wants for about ten minutes -- ten minutes of fumbling, groping questions and uncomfortably dead air -- Gillis finally brings up the editorial:
I'm having a lot of trouble with this. I don't see where there's any accountability, I don't see where this merits an editorial. If they want to weigh in and run the Vancouver Canucks, come on down here and do it.
Down here, of course, being Rogers Arena. And this was Gillis's biggest beef, apparently. Because it wasn't attributed to one of the sports writers he sees every day (or anyone, for that matters), he wasn't quite sure who to get mad at:
If [Canucks beat writer] Jason Botchford wrote this and he was down here I could go up to him and talk to him about it. And find out why. This, there's no accountability here.
It's beyond presumptuous to think that they have a say in how we operate this team in this manner. And I don't like it.
But the saga didn't end there. An hour later, Wayne Moriarty, The Province's Editor-in-Chief, appeared on the same program with some choice words for Gillis.
In response to Gillis's accusation that the editorial lacked accountability, Moriarty pointed out that most news editorials aren't attributed to a particular person:
There are very few newspapers in the world that sign editorials. The general undestanding is that it's the view of the editorial board and in this case our editorial board is three to four people, depending on the issue.
But Moriarty also added that the Province had spoken with TC Carling, the Canucks' director of communications, earlier in the day, and that Gillis was being coy on the accountability issue anyway.
He was aware very early in the day that basically I was responsible as the editor for the paper. Mike was playing a little loose with the facts there. He knew who wrote it.
And then Moriarty introduced the underlying issue here, which is that he and Mike Gillis don't care much for one another:
The only other time I've ever met Mr. Gillis, I'll be quite honest, he was quite rude to me. [...] He couldn't even reach out and shake my hand.
And then, a little lovetap:
But this wasn't about Mike. If I was Mike, I'd be more concerned that 14,000 of his premium customers were booing his number one asset.
And some posturing:
Mike's discussion around being accountable and going down to the dressing room, I mean, give me Luongo's phone number, I'll read him the editorial. That's just machismo garbage, it makes no difference to me.
Moriarty has to be the first guy in quite some time to accuse the Canucks of "machismo garbage."
And finally, a comparison Gillis would hate:
I can remember when I met Mike, thinking to myself, it was just a chip off what we'd dealt with with Mr. [Brian] Burke the previous years.
Finally, the hosts of the program, sensing some hostility, asked if the news editorial would still have appeared if, say, The Province and the Canucks were better friends. "I think we have a good working relationship with the Canucks," Moriarty responded.
I'll take your word on that.
To make things even more amusing, both Moriarty and Gillis were slated to be at the same charity event Friday night. I'll update if there's a rumble.
Mike Gillis, on Luongo-for-Vinny news editorial:
Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #7083
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !YaoShi View Post
Burrows got a bmw. Dunno which. Hansen got a Mini, non convertable.
Burrow's got an X5. Hansen the mini, and Coho picked up an FX50 with plate number starting with 999.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #7084
I'm invisible

Yup Burrows has 2 X5's and 1 Range Rover
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #7085
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
The Province, one of Vancouver's two major newspapers, raised eyebrows this morning when they published a news editorial that espoused a trade sending Roberto Luongo(notes) to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Vincent Lecavalier(notes).
Again, that's a news editorial, not a sports column. It appeared on page A20 and was attributed to the paper, as most news editorials are, as opposed to one writer in particular.
It was an odd vehicle for a trade proposal, especially one that was no better than something you'd see on a message board. It's a wonder The Province avoided "throwing in a second round pick to balance things out."
It bemused many, but it annoyed Vancouver Canucks' GM Mike Gillis, and this afternoon, the reigning GM of the Year unexpectedly called the Team 1040, Vancouver's local sports radio station, to say something about it.
After allowing the hosts to try to guess what he wants for about ten minutes -- ten minutes of fumbling, groping questions and uncomfortably dead air -- Gillis finally brings up the editorial:
I'm having a lot of trouble with this. I don't see where there's any accountability, I don't see where this merits an editorial. If they want to weigh in and run the Vancouver Canucks, come on down here and do it.
Down here, of course, being Rogers Arena. And this was Gillis's biggest beef, apparently. Because it wasn't attributed to one of the sports writers he sees every day (or anyone, for that matters), he wasn't quite sure who to get mad at:
If [Canucks beat writer] Jason Botchford wrote this and he was down here I could go up to him and talk to him about it. And find out why. This, there's no accountability here.
It's beyond presumptuous to think that they have a say in how we operate this team in this manner. And I don't like it.
But the saga didn't end there. An hour later, Wayne Moriarty, The Province's Editor-in-Chief, appeared on the same program with some choice words for Gillis.
In response to Gillis's accusation that the editorial lacked accountability, Moriarty pointed out that most news editorials aren't attributed to a particular person:
There are very few newspapers in the world that sign editorials. The general undestanding is that it's the view of the editorial board and in this case our editorial board is three to four people, depending on the issue.
But Moriarty also added that the Province had spoken with TC Carling, the Canucks' director of communications, earlier in the day, and that Gillis was being coy on the accountability issue anyway.
He was aware very early in the day that basically I was responsible as the editor for the paper. Mike was playing a little loose with the facts there. He knew who wrote it.
And then Moriarty introduced the underlying issue here, which is that he and Mike Gillis don't care much for one another:
The only other time I've ever met Mr. Gillis, I'll be quite honest, he was quite rude to me. [...] He couldn't even reach out and shake my hand.
And then, a little lovetap:
But this wasn't about Mike. If I was Mike, I'd be more concerned that 14,000 of his premium customers were booing his number one asset.
And some posturing:
Mike's discussion around being accountable and going down to the dressing room, I mean, give me Luongo's phone number, I'll read him the editorial. That's just machismo garbage, it makes no difference to me.
Moriarty has to be the first guy in quite some time to accuse the Canucks of "machismo garbage."
And finally, a comparison Gillis would hate:
I can remember when I met Mike, thinking to myself, it was just a chip off what we'd dealt with with Mr. [Brian] Burke the previous years.
Finally, the hosts of the program, sensing some hostility, asked if the news editorial would still have appeared if, say, The Province and the Canucks were better friends. "I think we have a good working relationship with the Canucks," Moriarty responded.
I'll take your word on that.
To make things even more amusing, both Moriarty and Gillis were slated to be at the same charity event Friday night. I'll update if there's a rumble.
TBH, you can't really count on Mike to be objective and critical about the assessment of Luongo. Signing him and spending the owner's money for that amount and that length was his call and to admit that there's flaws to his chosen investment is an admission of flaws in some of his management decisions. Historically, we've seen him make correct decisions, and we've seen him make incorrect decisions.

Whether there is merit or not, by protecting his investment, he's just protecting his stake as a manager. Regardless, it's not just the "uneducated unclassy Vancouver" fans who are echoing concern about Luongos stock. Just look around the league. Hear the voice of other fanbases and see how much intimidation the name "Luongo" wields (and compare that even to Sedin(s) or Kesler). When watching Canuck games, listen to what some panelists have to say, or even fellow NHL players.

So, to anyone who chooses not to buy into the "Luongo is elite" hype, or those who are vocal about the flaws in his game, does not make you "unCanuck" or "uneducated hockey fan." In fact, outside of Vancouver, there are many like you who are thinking the same thing.

At the end of the day... it could be worse. Win or lose, we could be one of those cities that just don't care (as per Trevor Linden); but luckily we're not. So the "homer" camp need to put in just as much perspective as the "so-called" bandwagoners that we're actually THAT KIND of a city.

Last edited by Noir; 10-21-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #7086
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
redwings 5-0-0

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #7087
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Capitals 6-0-0
Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #7088
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Holy carp, today's game is on at 1 PM????

Lions game at 4 PM?????

Shitmekanobbers, I'll have to get my weekend shopping done ASAP.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #7089
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
crap. gonna miss the game then

PVR will have to do heh. and avoid canucks thread..........
Spoiler!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #7090
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post

and avoid canucks thread..........
Dunno if you'll be able to do that while you're bored at work haha
Old 10-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #7091
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsZ24 View Post
bingo
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #7092
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Don't forget the Whitecaps game is also at 4. At least the Lion's game is in Hamilton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #7093
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,335 Times in 5,646 Posts
Whitecraps? Dgaf
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #7094
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
CBJ 0-6-1

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #7095
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
CBJ 0-6-1
6th highest spending team in the NHL!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #7096
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsZ24 View Post
Spoiler!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #7097
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Don't forget the Whitecaps game is also at 4. At least the Lion's game is in Hamilton.
Whitecaps?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #7098
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Anybody have streaming sites
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #7099
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

http://www.justin.tv/sortsall_35#/w/1950068784
Old 10-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #7100
Fanboy

What's up with the occupy Luongo sign, this is the second time I seen it at Rogers arena
Posted via RS Mobile
Closed Thread