REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2011/2012 Canucks Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647779-official-2011-2012-canucks-thread.html)

Durrann 12-08-2011 07:27 PM

Are they replaying the game on sports net ?
Posted via RS Mobile

punkwax 12-08-2011 07:42 PM

Surprised Lu didn't get the hook after the 3rd goal, but after the comeback win I'm happy he didn't. Hopefully that does wonders for his confidence. His celebration after the last save in the shootout told the story. He wanted it bad.

Go Nucks.
Posted via RS Mobile

InvisibleSoul 12-08-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seakrait (Post 7719870)
What's Luu's career record for shootouts?

On TV, they said Luongo was 24-28 going into tonight's shootout... so that should make him 25-28 now.

Incredibly, you can actually get career shootout stats on NHL.com

2011-2012 - Regular Season - All Skaters - Active Goalies - Career - Wins - NHL.com - Stats

It really is a fact that Luongo is bad at shootouts. He is tied with Kiprosoff for most shootout losses all-time.

There are other "good" goalies that are notoriously bad at shootouts though.

Niklas Backstrom is 15-25.

Tomas Vokoun is 21-26.

Nikolai Khabibulin is 13-22.

Cam Ward is 10-20.

punkwax 12-08-2011 08:18 PM

Shootout record of 25-28 isn't too bad considering the lack of faith people have in Lu. Shootouts are a completely different animal. Case in point, look at the Sedins. If they had 53 shootout attempts they'd be probably be 3-50 lol
Posted via RS Mobile

fliptuner 12-08-2011 08:18 PM

http://www.nhl.com/stats/shootout_report.pdf

Pg. 13. It's now 24-28.

seakrait 12-08-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7720055)
On TV, they said Luongo was 24-28 going into tonight's shootout... so that should make him 25-28 now.

Incredibly, you can actually get career shootout stats on NHL.com

2011-2012 - Regular Season - All Skaters - Active Goalies - Career - Wins - NHL.com - Stats

It really is a fact that Luongo is bad at shootouts. He is tied with Kiprosoff for most shootout losses all-time.

There are other "good" goalies that are notoriously bad at shootouts though.

Niklas Backstrom is 15-25.

Tomas Vokoun is 21-26.

Nikolai Khabibulin is 13-22.

Cam Ward is 10-20.

Are they just considered good due to their team's defensive play around them though? So that when it comes down to a one-vs-one situation, their true skill level comes through? Or do some goalies suck at the shootout because it's just not something they practice for very often?

AzNightmare 12-08-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 7719939)
how did Cody make AV look bad?

I think Cody didn't get a single shift during OT? Despite having a pretty good game, then getting the goal in shootout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seakrait (Post 7720089)
Are they just considered good due to their team's defensive play around them though? So that when it comes down to a one-vs-one situation, their true skill level comes through? Or do some goalies suck at the shootout because it's just not something they practice for very often?

I believe it's a different skill set. If you flip the question around, some shooters suck in shootouts, while some are good. ie. either Sedin vs Wellwood.
But there's so much more than just being good at the one-on-one's vs being a complete player / goalie.

I mean for Luongo specifically, he uses his big body to cover the net during the game, and plays his angles well with good rebound control.
But his weakness is slower lateral movement, which makes him more vulnerable to breakaways if it's against players with really soft hands.
(Today, none of the montreal shooters deked)

While some other goalies are maybe smaller, but more flexible. They can stretch out and make crazy saves, but are more vulnerable to quick shots cause
of more open space in the net. That's just an example.

twitchyzero 12-08-2011 08:56 PM

i actually had time to watch hockey for once...neither spotsnet channel had it on though (channel 22-23..i have basic analog shaw cable)

AzNightmare 12-08-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7720139)
i actually had time to watch hockey for once...neither spotsnet channel had it on though (channel 22-23..i have basic analog shaw cable)

gotta use this next time:
http://www.justin.tv/sortsall_35#/w/2158480768/2

I prefer to watch my games online only so I can post in here while watching.
:fullofwin:

seakrait 12-08-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7720131)
I believe it's a different skill set. If you flip the question around, some shooters suck in shootouts, while some are good. ie. either Sedin vs Wellwood.
But there's so much more than just being good at the one-on-one's vs being a complete player / goalie.

I mean for Luongo specifically, he uses his big body to cover the net during the game, and plays his angles well with good rebound control.
But his weakness is slower lateral movement, which makes him more vulnerable to breakaways if it's against players with really soft hands.
(Today, none of the montreal shooters deked)

While some other goalies are maybe smaller, but more flexible. They can stretch out and make crazy saves, but are more vulnerable to quick shots cause
of more open space in the net. That's just an example.

Good points. I guess that's why we trust Schneids more in net during the shootout though I'd have to look up his record too.

TheKingdom2000 12-08-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

I think Cody didn't get a single shift during OT? Despite having a pretty good game, then getting the goal in shootout.

Ahh icic.
But, doesn't AV get to pick who takes the shoot out?

And in regards to cam ward! EFF that guy.
I can not believe the Carolina has a freaking Stanley Cup.
are you kidding me?

Vansterdam 12-08-2011 09:37 PM

was hoping there was a link or replay for tonights game somewhere!

spoon.ek9 12-08-2011 09:56 PM

^ search for CanucksHD on youtube for highlights in HD! tonight's goals and shootout are already posted.

chin3se604 12-08-2011 10:00 PM

saw this on Stargate SG1 the other day lol

b0unce. [?] 12-08-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7720199)
was hoping there was a link or replay for tonights game somewhere!

noots 12-08-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Lappy didn't get a shift in OT as well while Raymond and Manny had 1, Hansen had 2 and Burr, twins and Kes had 3. With the twins going on followed by Burr and Kes, it doesn't leave much time for anyone else. Cody probably did earn himself a shift but the play was going back and forth too.

Also Luongo's shootout numbers MAY (not making excuses) look a little bit worse than they really are due to the lack of shootout aces on this team for so many seasons. One of the big problems this team has had in the past couple of seasons was the lack of a "sure goal." Wellwood could deliver but the last consistent scorers I remember were Morrison and Linden.

sonick 12-08-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chin3se604 (Post 7720231)
saw this on Stargate SG1 the other day lol

The Canucks of Vancouver - YouTube

Nerd!!!!!!!!!!!

AzNightmare 12-09-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noots (Post 7720297)
Lappy didn't get a shift in OT as well while Raymond and Manny had 1, Hansen had 2 and Burr, twins and Kes had 3. With the twins going on followed by Burr and Kes, it doesn't leave much time for anyone else. Cody probably did earn himself a shift but the play was going back and forth too.

Also Luongo's shootout numbers MAY (not making excuses) look a little bit worse than they really are due to the lack of shootout aces on this team for so many seasons. One of the big problems this team has had in the past couple of seasons was the lack of a "sure goal." Wellwood could deliver but the last consistent scorers I remember were Morrison and Linden.

lol, yeah... Linden, B.Mo, and Wellwood were guys you expected to get a goal in the shoot out.
But other than those 3 mentioned, I don't think there has been anyone that I can recall on this team since the shoot out system.

I actually think Daniel only scored once (or maybe two) times in his shootout career.
Although AV doesn't send him out to shoot too often, probably for good reason...
:pokerface:

On another note... Found this video of some guy trying to show people how to pronounce players names properly.
Think he's just trolling, but I nearly spat my drink out...

sonick 12-09-2011 12:16 AM

^ lol it's a spinoff of PronunciationManual, who was a spinoff PronunciationBook

PronunciationManual:

PronunciationBook:

Bonka 12-09-2011 12:39 AM

Here's an interesting article regarding Luongo's belly flopping. I am still in the camp that he's battling in between 2 styles physically and on a mental level.

Quote:

When they are upright in their traditional butterfly stances, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider look - stylistically speaking - nearly identical in the Vancouver net.

Where the techniques diverge is when their pads drop to the blue ice, according to hockey writer and goaltending analyst Kevin Woodley.

"The big difference - and the measuring stick in terms of their mobility - is the way their legs drop when they are on the ice," said Woodley, who operates the online goalie bible, InGoal Digital Magazine (ingoalmag.com). "When Cory goes down, his legs spread across in what we'd call a wide butterfly. His pads almost go across in a straight line." Luongo, a three-time Vezina nominee, has a narrower butterfly, Woodley says, and it cuts into his lateral recoveries.

"Roberto has the ability to get wide but he is somewhat bowlegged, so his skates naturally fall in behind his knees," he said. "In addition to having to now move his skates further from this position in order to get an edge to push with, it leaves him with less coverage, or width, along the ice. And the quickest way to get more extension out of your legs is to tilt your torso forward, which can leave him on his belly. Try getting down on your knees and extending your leg as far as it will go. Now fall forward, and you will see your leg will stick out about a foot further." It's a save technique that's taught, said Woodley, though when he's not reading the play well early in a season Luongo can overuse it. The other major difference between the two goalies is also physical. Luongo wears a size 13 skate, Woodley says, while Schneider wears a nine.

"Turning size 13 skates can be like turning a battleship - they weren't made for dancing," he said. "This isn't meant as a criticism of Luongo, because he is a top goalie in the league and capable of winning a Stanley Cup, but he's just not going to be as good a skater as Schneider."
A tale of two 'No. 1' goalies

Posted via RS Mobile

7seven 12-09-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noots (Post 7720297)

Cody just got 10:40 of ice time, even after he scored his goal in regulation AV sat him for a couple shifts missing his regular shifts with Manny getting out there instead.

CorneringArtist 12-09-2011 07:01 AM

Mark Lee needs to watch those pronunciation videos.

Hondaracer 12-09-2011 07:07 AM

Cody > Manny
Posted via RS Mobile

7seven 12-09-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Kaberle traded to Mtl for Spacek. Done deal.
Carolina unloads payroll for an expiring contract, not bad. Kaberle was a disaster in Car.

7seven 12-09-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7720489)
Cody > Manny
Posted via RS Mobile

Yup, AV seems to be very hard on Cody, some even speculate he hates Cody.

From what I've gathered, some seem to think AV resents guys like Cody, Grabner and Shirokov because they had all this offensive hype before earning regular roles in the NHL, so AV is extra hard on them because it annoys him. Whereas AV is easier on guys like Rome, Alberts, Bolduc & Desbiens because they remind him of himself when he was a player.