REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #11226
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Durrann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E. Vancouver
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 301 Times in 136 Posts
Are they replaying the game on sports net ?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Durrann is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #11227
Waxin’ Punks
 
punkwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South Surrey
Posts: 6,066
Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,623 Posts
Surprised Lu didn't get the hook after the 3rd goal, but after the comeback win I'm happy he didn't. Hopefully that does wonders for his confidence. His celebration after the last save in the shootout told the story. He wanted it bad.

Go Nucks.
Posted via RS Mobile
punkwax is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #11228
The RS Freebie guru
 
InvisibleSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: East Vancouver
Posts: 22,032
Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
What's Luu's career record for shootouts?
On TV, they said Luongo was 24-28 going into tonight's shootout... so that should make him 25-28 now.

Incredibly, you can actually get career shootout stats on NHL.com

2011-2012 - Regular Season - All Skaters - Active Goalies - Career - Wins - NHL.com - Stats

It really is a fact that Luongo is bad at shootouts. He is tied with Kiprosoff for most shootout losses all-time.

There are other "good" goalies that are notoriously bad at shootouts though.

Niklas Backstrom is 15-25.

Tomas Vokoun is 21-26.

Nikolai Khabibulin is 13-22.

Cam Ward is 10-20.
InvisibleSoul is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #11229
Waxin’ Punks
 
punkwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South Surrey
Posts: 6,066
Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,623 Posts
Shootout record of 25-28 isn't too bad considering the lack of faith people have in Lu. Shootouts are a completely different animal. Case in point, look at the Sedins. If they had 53 shootout attempts they'd be probably be 3-50 lol
Posted via RS Mobile
punkwax is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #11230
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch
 
fliptuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 21,455
Thanked 14,918 Times in 4,131 Posts
http://www.nhl.com/stats/shootout_report.pdf

Pg. 13. It's now 24-28.
__________________
feedback

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad


RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #11231
SardaukarMod
 
seakrait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salusa Secundus
Posts: 11,306
Thanked 485 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
On TV, they said Luongo was 24-28 going into tonight's shootout... so that should make him 25-28 now.

Incredibly, you can actually get career shootout stats on NHL.com

2011-2012 - Regular Season - All Skaters - Active Goalies - Career - Wins - NHL.com - Stats

It really is a fact that Luongo is bad at shootouts. He is tied with Kiprosoff for most shootout losses all-time.

There are other "good" goalies that are notoriously bad at shootouts though.

Niklas Backstrom is 15-25.

Tomas Vokoun is 21-26.

Nikolai Khabibulin is 13-22.

Cam Ward is 10-20.
Are they just considered good due to their team's defensive play around them though? So that when it comes down to a one-vs-one situation, their true skill level comes through? Or do some goalies suck at the shootout because it's just not something they practice for very often?
__________________
2012 Volkswagen Golf Wagon in Candy White
2009 Triumph Street Triple 675
in Jet Black
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #11232
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,830
Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
how did Cody make AV look bad?
I think Cody didn't get a single shift during OT? Despite having a pretty good game, then getting the goal in shootout.


Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
Are they just considered good due to their team's defensive play around them though? So that when it comes down to a one-vs-one situation, their true skill level comes through? Or do some goalies suck at the shootout because it's just not something they practice for very often?
I believe it's a different skill set. If you flip the question around, some shooters suck in shootouts, while some are good. ie. either Sedin vs Wellwood.
But there's so much more than just being good at the one-on-one's vs being a complete player / goalie.

I mean for Luongo specifically, he uses his big body to cover the net during the game, and plays his angles well with good rebound control.
But his weakness is slower lateral movement, which makes him more vulnerable to breakaways if it's against players with really soft hands.
(Today, none of the montreal shooters deked)

While some other goalies are maybe smaller, but more flexible. They can stretch out and make crazy saves, but are more vulnerable to quick shots cause
of more open space in the net. That's just an example.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 12-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.
AzNightmare is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #11233
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
twitchyzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 20,214
Thanked 8,099 Times in 3,378 Posts
i actually had time to watch hockey for once...neither spotsnet channel had it on though (channel 22-23..i have basic analog shaw cable)
__________________
zenki S2000
chuki JT Escudo
kouki Roadster RF

BST feedback
twitchyzero is online now  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #11234
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,830
Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i actually had time to watch hockey for once...neither spotsnet channel had it on though (channel 22-23..i have basic analog shaw cable)
gotta use this next time:
http://www.justin.tv/sortsall_35#/w/2158480768/2


I prefer to watch my games online only so I can post in here while watching.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #11235
SardaukarMod
 
seakrait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salusa Secundus
Posts: 11,306
Thanked 485 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I believe it's a different skill set. If you flip the question around, some shooters suck in shootouts, while some are good. ie. either Sedin vs Wellwood.
But there's so much more than just being good at the one-on-one's vs being a complete player / goalie.

I mean for Luongo specifically, he uses his big body to cover the net during the game, and plays his angles well with good rebound control.
But his weakness is slower lateral movement, which makes him more vulnerable to breakaways if it's against players with really soft hands.
(Today, none of the montreal shooters deked)

While some other goalies are maybe smaller, but more flexible. They can stretch out and make crazy saves, but are more vulnerable to quick shots cause
of more open space in the net. That's just an example.
Good points. I guess that's why we trust Schneids more in net during the shootout though I'd have to look up his record too.
__________________
2012 Volkswagen Golf Wagon in Candy White
2009 Triumph Street Triple 675
in Jet Black
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #11236
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,457
Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I think Cody didn't get a single shift during OT? Despite having a pretty good game, then getting the goal in shootout.
Ahh icic.
But, doesn't AV get to pick who takes the shoot out?


And in regards to cam ward! EFF that guy.
I can not believe the Carolina has a freaking Stanley Cup.
are you kidding me?
TheKingdom2000 is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #11237
60420
 
Vansterdam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Above&Beyond
Posts: 22,934
Thanked 9,333 Times in 2,158 Posts
was hoping there was a link or replay for tonights game somewhere!
Vansterdam is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #11238
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer
 
spoon.ek9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 13,078
Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,328 Posts
^ search for CanucksHD on youtube for highlights in HD! tonight's goals and shootout are already posted.
__________________
1998 Honda Civic EK9 - GQ || 1990 Honda Civic Si ED7 - DD || 1990 Honda Civic ED6 - RIP
VCC Buy/Sell rating 60-0-0 || RS Buy/Sell rating 20-0-0 || HT Buy/Sell rating 1-0-0
IG: @spoon.ek9
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now  
Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #11239
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
chin3se604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,737
Thanked 1,391 Times in 270 Posts
saw this on Stargate SG1 the other day lol

chin3se604 is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #11240
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,480
Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
was hoping there was a link or replay for tonights game somewhere!
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #11241
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
noots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 321
Thanked 137 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I think Cody didn't get a single shift during OT? Despite having a pretty good game, then getting the goal in shootout.
Lappy didn't get a shift in OT as well while Raymond and Manny had 1, Hansen had 2 and Burr, twins and Kes had 3. With the twins going on followed by Burr and Kes, it doesn't leave much time for anyone else. Cody probably did earn himself a shift but the play was going back and forth too.

Also Luongo's shootout numbers MAY (not making excuses) look a little bit worse than they really are due to the lack of shootout aces on this team for so many seasons. One of the big problems this team has had in the past couple of seasons was the lack of a "sure goal." Wellwood could deliver but the last consistent scorers I remember were Morrison and Linden.
noots is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #11242
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,787
Thanked 5,398 Times in 1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chin3se604 View Post
saw this on Stargate SG1 the other day lol

The Canucks of Vancouver - YouTube
Nerd!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #11243
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,830
Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noots View Post
Lappy didn't get a shift in OT as well while Raymond and Manny had 1, Hansen had 2 and Burr, twins and Kes had 3. With the twins going on followed by Burr and Kes, it doesn't leave much time for anyone else. Cody probably did earn himself a shift but the play was going back and forth too.

Also Luongo's shootout numbers MAY (not making excuses) look a little bit worse than they really are due to the lack of shootout aces on this team for so many seasons. One of the big problems this team has had in the past couple of seasons was the lack of a "sure goal." Wellwood could deliver but the last consistent scorers I remember were Morrison and Linden.
lol, yeah... Linden, B.Mo, and Wellwood were guys you expected to get a goal in the shoot out.
But other than those 3 mentioned, I don't think there has been anyone that I can recall on this team since the shoot out system.

I actually think Daniel only scored once (or maybe two) times in his shootout career.
Although AV doesn't send him out to shoot too often, probably for good reason...







On another note... Found this video of some guy trying to show people how to pronounce players names properly.
Think he's just trolling, but I nearly spat my drink out...

__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #11244
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,787
Thanked 5,398 Times in 1,715 Posts
^ lol it's a spinoff of PronunciationManual, who was a spinoff PronunciationBook

PronunciationManual:

PronunciationBook:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #11245
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Bonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,802
Thanked 694 Times in 299 Posts
Here's an interesting article regarding Luongo's belly flopping. I am still in the camp that he's battling in between 2 styles physically and on a mental level.

Quote:
When they are upright in their traditional butterfly stances, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider look - stylistically speaking - nearly identical in the Vancouver net.

Where the techniques diverge is when their pads drop to the blue ice, according to hockey writer and goaltending analyst Kevin Woodley.

"The big difference - and the measuring stick in terms of their mobility - is the way their legs drop when they are on the ice," said Woodley, who operates the online goalie bible, InGoal Digital Magazine (ingoalmag.com). "When Cory goes down, his legs spread across in what we'd call a wide butterfly. His pads almost go across in a straight line." Luongo, a three-time Vezina nominee, has a narrower butterfly, Woodley says, and it cuts into his lateral recoveries.

"Roberto has the ability to get wide but he is somewhat bowlegged, so his skates naturally fall in behind his knees," he said. "In addition to having to now move his skates further from this position in order to get an edge to push with, it leaves him with less coverage, or width, along the ice. And the quickest way to get more extension out of your legs is to tilt your torso forward, which can leave him on his belly. Try getting down on your knees and extending your leg as far as it will go. Now fall forward, and you will see your leg will stick out about a foot further." It's a save technique that's taught, said Woodley, though when he's not reading the play well early in a season Luongo can overuse it. The other major difference between the two goalies is also physical. Luongo wears a size 13 skate, Woodley says, while Schneider wears a nine.

"Turning size 13 skates can be like turning a battleship - they weren't made for dancing," he said. "This isn't meant as a criticism of Luongo, because he is a top goalie in the league and capable of winning a Stanley Cup, but he's just not going to be as good a skater as Schneider."
A tale of two 'No. 1' goalies


Posted via RS Mobile
Bonka is online now  
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #11246
RS.net PIMP
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver/LA
Posts: 4,898
Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noots View Post
Lappy didn't get a shift in OT as well while Raymond and Manny had 1, Hansen had 2 and Burr, twins and Kes had 3. With the twins going on followed by Burr and Kes, it doesn't leave much time for anyone else. Cody probably did earn himself a shift but the play was going back and forth too.
Cody just got 10:40 of ice time, even after he scored his goal in regulation AV sat him for a couple shifts missing his regular shifts with Manny getting out there instead.
7seven is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #11247
"Entertainment" mod.
 
CorneringArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 4,925
Thanked 3,280 Times in 989 Posts
Mark Lee needs to watch those pronunciation videos.
__________________
MX73->B3->MX83->AE92->BL3FW->5K(MkVI)->UCF11->JZX110->AXA54H->RN131
CorneringArtist is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #11248
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 30,450
Thanked 9,995 Times in 3,578 Posts
Cody > Manny
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now  
Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #11249
RS.net PIMP
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver/LA
Posts: 4,898
Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Kaberle traded to Mtl for Spacek. Done deal.
Carolina unloads payroll for an expiring contract, not bad. Kaberle was a disaster in Car.
7seven is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #11250
RS.net PIMP
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver/LA
Posts: 4,898
Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Cody > Manny
Posted via RS Mobile
Yup, AV seems to be very hard on Cody, some even speculate he hates Cody.

From what I've gathered, some seem to think AV resents guys like Cody, Grabner and Shirokov because they had all this offensive hype before earning regular roles in the NHL, so AV is extra hard on them because it annoys him. Whereas AV is easier on guys like Rome, Alberts, Bolduc & Desbiens because they remind him of himself when he was a player.
7seven is offline  
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net