REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #126
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
how come everyone think jovo is gonna ask for 6+. Hes UFA
hes 35 he wants the cup that guy probably will accept 3.5 and still be a 40pt physical defencemen with grit
Advertisement

Last edited by shawn79; 06-17-2011 at 07:42 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #127
Fanboy

I don't think the nux will keep Chris Higgins. He was nowhere near consistent as second line players on other teams.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #128
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Higgins will be the scapegoat for 2011/2012 if we keep him. he's inconsistent and hasn't hit 20goals for a long while now.

Ya he had flashes of great play during the playoffs but won't be effective over a long regular season.

Maybe we can trade for him again at the deadline?

Lappierre I would keep tho.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 06-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #129
Fanboy

Does anyone have a video of Aqualini throwing F bombs at the media after the game?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #130
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
sedin sedin burrows
gagne kesler jagr
torres lahotra hansen
higgsin lapierre oreo

bieksa hamhuis
weber jovo
ehrhoff edler

ballard scheoder (played with colin wilson to get gold for team usa U20)+ 1st round pick for weber rfa negotion rights
LOL I love that Weber, who will probably win the Norris this year...is on the second pairing and the guy most likely to win a Norris on the Canucks before he turns 30 is playing on the 3rd.

You are amazing.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #131
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
Higgins will be the scapegoat for 2011/2012 if we keep him. he's inconsistent and hasn't hit 20goals for a long while now.

Ya he had flashes of great play during the playoffs but won't be effective over a long regular season.

Maybe we can trade for him again at the deadline?

Lappierre I would keep tho.
Agreed. Higgins is good but not good enough IMO...we need an upgrade there of a skill guy that can play grindy minutes on the 4th line like a Tambelini but better.

Lappy gets resign I hope. Have him play 8-10 minutes as 4th line center and have him beast the fuck out in the playoffs again. He did it for the Habs. I have to believe he can do it again.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #132
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
No way Hoff takes $4.5. He scored 50 points. He had like 44 last year. He's 28, which is the verge of defensemen prime, which most hockey experts tell you is later than forward prime. He's almost completely injury free for his entire NHL career and has consistently been a solid all around defenseman that has no edge into the top end of blueline scoring.

No way he takes a $1.4m raise. He'd get $6.5 on the open market easy. The best we should hope for is he takes $5-$5.5,
I honestly dont think Ehrhoff can get $6.5 at all. Yes hes a 40-50pt defencemen, but when u play on the highest scoring team in the league and top PP ur gonna rack up points. I dont wanna take anything away from Ehrhoff but im hoping he doesnt pull an Anson Carter here.

Remember, we were only 1 Game away from winning it all, we dont need to make any drastic changes here. Just little tweeks here and there. Im thinking we'd be making that big splash on deadline day so we can make that push for a deep playoff run again so it doesnt hurt us salary cap wise
Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #133
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Neither will get more than hamhuis.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #134
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Neither will get more than hamhuis.
Posted via RS Mobile
Erhoff and Bieksa will get way more than that in the open market, esp with so many teams (including the Wings) looking for good D-men. It would be an absolute steal if we can get get both (or even one) at Hammer's rate
Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #135
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
sedin sedin burrows
gagne kesler jagr
torres lahotra hansen
higgsin lapierre oreo

bieksa hamhuis
weber jovo
ehrhoff edler

ballard scheoder (played with colin wilson to get gold for team usa U20)+ 1st round pick for weber rfa negotion rights
Old 06-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #136
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,105 Times in 5,001 Posts
Quote:
how come everything think jovo is gonna ask for 6+. Hes UFA
hes 35 he wants the cup that guy probably will accept 3.5 and still be a 40pt physical defencemen with grit
Have you forgotten so quickly how many times he would be last man back, skate out from behind the net and make a move right in front of the goalie/try to deke out the forechecker and lose control?????? Bieksa does it sometimes and it gives me a damn heart attack... Jovocop is not the answer.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #137
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
Erhoff and Bieksa will get way more than that in the open market, esp with so many teams (including the Wings) looking for good D-men. It would be an absolute steal if we can get get both (or even one) at Hammer's rate
if we keep our core D next year, i think we have a likelihood of making a winning team. if erhoff and bieksa are smart and really want to win the cup, they'll probably stay. sure, it's a hit on their potential earnings, but you can't put a price on winning the cup.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #138
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm not disagreeing as to them wanting to stay. They probably do and I certainly hope that they do. I was only suggesting that it would still prob take more than Hammer's salary to keep either of them. Closer to $5m would be my guess and that would still be a homer's discount.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #139
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
thread merged ... welcome myself to next season
Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #140
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Don't want Jovo.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #141
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
So guys do you think teams in the NHL will give the Canucks respect and consider them to be an "elite team" or do we need to win a cup or two before we're considered elite.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #142
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
So guys do you think teams in the NHL will give the Canucks respect and consider them to be an "elite team" or do we need to win a cup or two before we're considered elite.
We'll need to win a cup.

You should see the amount of hate our team got throughout the entire playoffs on all the different forums online. It was quite mind blowing.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #143
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Canucks have had a horrible reputation across the league (and all of sports) since the Griffiths stopped owning the team. It doesn't help that the current owner went on a classless tirade after game 7, and of course the riots.

But the team itself, which is famous for diving and embellishment and classless and stupid acts across all lines (even the goalie), will continue to have a bad rep even if they do with the cup. Hell, especially if they win the cup (but at least then they can say "hey, at least we won the cup!")

But they're our team, so it doesn't matter!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #144

Yah, I heard about the owner going off and media saying how classless the Canucks were. What exactly happen?

And on the topic of hate, according to some Boston media guy who talked to the team after the cup win, the Boston Bruins said they never hated another team as much as they hated the Canucks for their on and off the ice antics. Yes, they hate the Canucks more than the Habs, lol.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #145
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
IMO they should embrace the reputation. Bring back guys like Ruutu and Cooke and just goon it up for a season!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #146
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
what did the owner do/say?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #147
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Eh the way I see it, Boston just built a team similarly to Anaheim's team in 07.
Big canadian style hard hitting physical team riding a hot goalie in the playoffs. WTB team like that

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #148

Here you go.

Quote:
Canucks owner vented frustration at losing Stanley Cup to reporters following Game 7

Vancouver’s loss in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals managed to bring out a lot of the worst in everyone. While the lasting memory will be of Canucks fans and local hoodlums who decided that burning the city down and rioting was the right way to grieve after a loss, the ugliness wasn’t just just kept on the outside of Rogers Arena as it turns out.

Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini was in attendance at Game 7 and while that’s a home game for him and not all too surprising, he apparently wasn’t in the greatest of moods following Vancouver’s 4-0 loss to Boston in Game 7. While that much would be understandable, about the last people you’d want to lash out at or near would be the hordes of media who descended upon Vancouver to see the Stanley Cup handed out.

As it turns out, Aquilini missed that day in PR class according to legendary Edmonton Sun writer Terry Jones. Jones’ scathing column dressing down Vancouver for their fans’ antics both in burning the city down and being perhaps some of the least friendly fans on the Internet also took Aquilini to task for being less than cordial.

Like the Canucks, who told us again and again that they’d learned their lessons, Vancouver claimed they’d learned theirs from 1994. Neither learned a thing.

It wasn’t just the idiots who rioted. Reaction from the exceedingly large lunatic fringe of fans from the other side of the mountains was unbelievable via Twitter, email, etc. throughout the playoffs. Rude. Obnoxious. Begging to be blocked. These are the same people who harbour conspiracy theories, who reportedly threw projectiles at Gary Bettman on the ice during the Stanley Cup presentation and one who shouted out while rioting that “this is all Bettman’s fault!”

It ended with Vancouver owner Francesco Aquilini telling multiple members of the media in the Canucks dressing room to go fornicate elsewhere.

Well isn’t that just lovely.

There are many very cool and wonderful Canucks fans to be found out on the Internet and real life. Heck, most of you post here for comments (note: we’re shameless) there’s an obvious disgusting underbelly of fans who bring shame to the rest of the lot. From those who decided to torch downtown Vancouver to those who verbally harangued former Calgary Flames star Theo Fleury via Twitter who had the audacity to say that he didn’t think Roberto Luongo could win them the Stanley Cup this year, the ugly side of fandom was out in force in Vancouver.

With all the disgusting comments thrown Fleury’s way it would ultimately be Fleury who got the last laugh as the Canucks came up short of winning their first Stanley Cup and Luongo would be front and center of the discussion. Life has a funny way of working out that way. Sometimes when you see a fan base take a loss as hard as a Stanley Cup Game 7 can be you feel sympathy for them for being so close to coming out on top only to fall short.

That brand of emotional outpouring was hard to come by in this case because there’s been so many ugly things surrounding this Canucks team and it starts from the top on down with Aquilini being unable to conduct himself as a professional. All of these reactions are inexcusable and it helps make life more miserable for those great fans in Vancouver and around the world who bleed blue and green. For them we feel sorry for for more than just losing their shot at the Stanley Cup. After all, when you’re saddled with such sad individuals as compatriots it makes being a fan that much more difficult.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...lowing-game-7/

This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #149

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
1) you're gonna have to trade a fuck load of 1st rounders + more to get weber
2) jovo?!?! seriously??? dun think we got cap space for his 7mil. now do i think i can handle his high risk high reward type of play. steady dmen that can play both ends like edler and ehrhoff are my type of players.
We don't necessarily need to trade our 1st rounders for Weber...there's a reason why we have prospects

There's no way in hell Jovo is going to get a raise from ANY team. He'll need to take a paycut if he wants to play in the NHL. His days from Vancouver are long gone.. He might get one from the Rangers since their notorious for signing underachieving players to ridiculous contracts

Quote:
No way Hoff takes $4.5. He scored 50 points. He had like 44 last year. He's 28, which is the verge of defensemen prime, which most hockey experts tell you is later than forward prime. He's almost completely injury free for his entire NHL career and has consistently been a solid all around defenseman that has no edge into the top end of blueline scoring.

No way he takes a $1.4m raise. He'd get $6.5 on the open market easy. The best we should hope for is he takes $5-$5.5,
Don't forget, Ehrhoff has hinted that he's willing to take a paycut to stay in Vancouver. When you're 1 game away from the holy grail, that experience is something he could use for a new run rather than starting fresh at another franchise.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #150
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Making an important point from the old thread here. I'll quote for context.

It's not as bad as you think, especially when you think of hockey economics.

But we can't give up on Lu at this point. No matter what, he's a top 3 NHL goaltender and they're not exactly growing on trees. Sure, we might've won if we had Tim Thomas in net instead but he is also a Vezina candidate. All things considered, we could've won with 3 goalies of the 30 starters in the league. Lu got us to game 7...we might've fallen shorter with someone else in net. Look at Philly and tell me that team isn't as good as the Canucks...but they had zilch for goaltending and got fucking swept.

Luongo is an asset. There may be one or two that are better but we could do a whole lot worse. Do we really want to go through the goalie graveyard era again where it's a revolving door in goal?

His contract gets better as the years go by as he makes less and less each year. Right now he is a $10m goaltender but when he becomes a $5m goaltender if his skills decline, we're only really paying him $5m under the cap. Aquaman doesn't give two fucks about the actual money. His contract REALLY tails off near the end of his career. If he is still awesome at 40, that's great. If not, then his contract makes him VERY tradeable.

Why? Because of the New York Islanders, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators and other teams that spend the cap floor. In the last 3 years of Luongo's contract, he makes under $2m but still has a cap hit of $5.333m. Trust me, that is gold to people like the owners of cap floor teams. They only really pay $1-1.6m but they get a valuable contract that allows them to reach the league minimum. These teams are looking for older, servicable and experienced players that can push young prospects that are most likely on their teams. Look at Dwayne Roloson in NYI. Remember, Lu's contract has out clauses on both sides. His NTC is limited. This contract is the best thing for the franchise right now.

Gillis and Gilman have shown us nothing but awesomeness since they've been here, fitting this awesome of a team under the salary cap. They got all our stars to managable contracts. Ask any GM in the league if they would take the Sedins, Kes or Burr's contracts. If you REALLY look at it, other than this year with the $10m bonus payday, Lu took a bit of a paycut from his previous contract. Ask any GM in the league if they would take Lu in a trade right now...even Boston would be interested.

Those two are geniuses...every decision seems to be made out of logic and math. I won't doubt them now. Watch them work magic on the Juice and Hoff contracts and we will all bow down, screaming that we aren't worthy. I have to believe they're smarter than we are and have already thought this through more than I have.

TL;DR: Lu's contract is awesome. You aren't looking at the big picture, dummy.
Ronin, I don't always agree with you but this time you are bang on 100%

Everyone says hes not a $10M goalie. Fuck who gives a shit how much he makes. I only care about the cap hit at $5.33M per year. he will retire or get traded towards the end.