REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Help with touch up paint!

Okay, i need some help with touch up paint. I bought OEM touch up paint and clearcoat today from BMW, but the thing felt like it had been sitting for a year on the shelf; it was really thick and didn't really match my paint. When i tried to fill in some road rash (small paint chips), the paint that i dripped into the center of the chip with a toothpick, it just stayed as a blob. Unfortunately i continued doing it to most of the chips thinking it'll flatten out later, but i realized i really fked up. Being an amateur at this, i also did some deeper and larger chips on my rear bumper... that did not turn out well at all. The paint is thicker than it should be and is noticeably bumpy. What should i do? Can i reverse my work by wet sanding it? Can i thin the paint with some acetone etc?

Stuff i have:
1. off-color alpine white oem paint and clearcoat
2. a set of 3M sanding paper 5 sheets ranging from "body work" roughness to "clearcoat/polish"
3. acetone (in form of nail polish remover)
4. for after the job is done: wax, claybar, polish and buffer <-- which will hopefully take car of the roughened paint from sanding

possible solutions:
1. take it to a shop and get it professionally done
2. reverse it by sanding it and buy some Dr.colorchip (which i heard and seen work really well)
3. a friendly rs-er wants to help and ill pay em gratuity
Advertisement
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
lol chill

just wait until its totally dry, it'll flatten down a bit, then wet sand it out and polish
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
When I did some touch up paint I used a pretty high grit of sand paper, you don't really need the rough stuff. The thing is it's pretty much impossible to do a seamless job, I wetsanded it so that I couldn't feel the bump when I ran my finger across it but the colour difference was such an eyesore for me. Probably going to get it professionally done myself later on
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
LW
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Considering the hours you're going to put in, it might be worth taking it to a shot. Depends on how much you value your time! Always pays dividends to be friends with a painter.
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

stop by a body shop with the touch-up pen and see if what they'd suggest. If you're out in the Langley area let me know, you can stop by my shop and I'll look at too.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

^pm'd
yea im probably gonna get the bumper done by a shop but the touch up i did on the hood didnt turn out too bad. im gonna sand out the excess and polish & buffer it... that takes out the sanding damage right?
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote