REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 06-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Nikon 85mm 1.8D; Hood & Cap

I acquired the Nikon 85mm 1.8D this past weekend and it came with the HN-23 hood. However, I find it annoying at times to pinch the cap in order to place it inside the hood to cover up my lens. I've read online that, some people use a 77mm size cap to cover up their lens as it fits directly on the lens hood. Anyone with this lens, what methods do you guys use that works well?

Also, would getting a filter be necessary for this lens because the hood seems to be deep, and protected quite well.

Any suggestions/recommendations would greatly be appreciated.
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Why not just take the hood off in between uses. It takes like .3 seconds to do. I keep three lens in my bag and one on the body and while I have them in the bag the hood is on backward. When I put one of these lenses on the body I take the cap off, flip the hood around and I'm good.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

the hn-23 is a metal screw on hood. when on backwards it doesnt mount to anything. just kinda rolls around in your bag.

i use a 77mm cap on mine, with the hood on. seems to work fine for me.
addicted is offline   Reply With Quote