REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   N thought (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648045-n-thought.html)

sebberry 06-20-2011 01:20 PM

N thought

"I got a ticket for not having my N because it was stolen off the back of my car"

"I got a ticket because my N is behind my tinted window and it wasn't 100% visible"

"I got a ticket because my trunk is aluminium and nothing magnetic sticks to it"

etc...

Here's an idea. Many "N" drivers have their own car. Why not a different coloured licence plate, or an ICBC issued "New Driver" licence plate frame? This would greatly reduce the number of "My N was stolen/fell off" cases and eliminate the problem of not being able to affix the N sign to the back of certain vehicles.

MindBomber 06-20-2011 01:35 PM

What about N drivers who don't own a vehicle dedicated entirely to their use, but instead just borrow a parents car occasionally, would both parents need to have the different plate?

What if a N driver rented a vehicle or drove various company vehicles, would they all need to have different plates as well?
Posted via RS Mobile

sebberry 06-20-2011 01:51 PM

I'm not saying do away with the magnetic N, but give people an option.

You could still have the magnetic one for when you're going to be driving a different car, or your parent's car.

But if you're an N with your own car, there's no reason to not have something more permanently affixed to the car, like a plate frame, etc...

gars 06-20-2011 02:08 PM

Who's going to pay for it though? When the GLP first came out in BC, you had to pay to replace your N sign. I lost mine once, had to pay to get a new one - never lost another one because I didn't want to pay for it.

People bitched that they were being stolen too much, so ICBC gave in and started giving them out for free. They hand them out like candy - yet people still manage to get tickets.

sebberry 06-20-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7483497)
Who's going to pay for it though? When the GLP first came out in BC, you had to pay to replace your N sign. I lost mine once, had to pay to get a new one - never lost another one because I didn't want to pay for it.

People bitched that they were being stolen too much, so ICBC gave in and started giving them out for free. They hand them out like candy - yet people still manage to get tickets.

Right, so now ICBC hands out hundreds, thousands of free N signs because they're being lost, stolen, etc..

$5 for an official ICBC New Driver plate frame when you pass your Class 7N test and you'll never have to worry. And ICBC won't have to give away as many free N signs.

Mining 06-20-2011 02:27 PM

On top of what MindBomber said, what if someone else is using your "N" car and that person has class 5?

gars 06-20-2011 02:29 PM

keep in mind as well, that it's actually illegal to cover your licence plate with anything... The MVA does say,

Quote:

Plates to be unobstructed

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.
It would be silly for ICBC to give you anything that is technically illegal, even if the police are more lax about this.

sebberry 06-20-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodeus (Post 7483522)
On top of what MindBomber said, what if someone else is using your "N" car and that person has class 5?

There's nothing preventing a Class 5 driver from driving a car with an N sign on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7483528)
keep in mind as well, that it's actually illegal to cover your licence plate with anything... The MVA does say,

It would be silly for ICBC to give you anything that is technically illegal, even if the police are more lax about this.

Many licence plate frames don't cover the letters and numbers of the plate.

gars 06-20-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7483535)
Many licence plate frames don't cover the letters and numbers of the plate.

no, but the law technically states you can't keep a frame on it at all.

Trinity 06-20-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

There's nothing preventing a Class 5 driver from driving a car with an N sign on it.

I believe there's actually a fine for driving with an N sign when you have a class 5... I could be wrong, though. It's because you're misleading other drivers on the road or something.

sebberry 06-20-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 7483559)
I believe there's actually a fine for driving with an N sign when you have a class 5... I could be wrong, though. It's because you're misleading other drivers on the road or something.

If that was the case, driving instructors wouldn't be able to drive cars with "Student driver", "L" and "N" plastered all over them.

sebberry 06-20-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7483555)
no, but the law technically states you can't keep a frame on it at all.

It has to be unobstructed so that the letters and numbers are clearly visible.

zulutango 06-20-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 7483559)

As a retired career Traffic Member and a current driver/rider instructor I can tell you that you are not correct. There is NO prohibition from having a L or N on your vehicle if you are not a L or N. My YD car has both on the back, along with "student driver"...even when I drive it alone.

ilvtofu 06-20-2011 08:40 PM

Lol having a license plate that doubles as an N sign sounds silly, considering that N drivers probably only keep it for about 1 or 2 years before they become class 5. Seems like a waste of metal, numbers, labour, and money. It's honestly not that hard to make your car a bit more of an eyesore to keep an N displayed, and if you're too lazy to try to protect it/display it consistently you deserve to be ticketed. Not that I agree that a simple sign makes much of a difference to the public when you already have your class 7N

FerrariEnzo 06-20-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

BUT who in the right now with a class 5 would drive with an N sign.. haha i know i would rather take the bus if i cant take off the N sign...

it would be too confusing and costly to having switch to a plate system... not to mention that the N has to be clearly vision for other drivers.. if its too far down, not many people will see.. Do you drive around town and look at every plate # on the cars?

Slifer 06-21-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7484027)
As a retired career Traffic Member and a current driver/rider instructor I can tell you that you are not correct. There is NO prohibition from having a L or N on your vehicle if you are not a L or N. My YD car has both on the back, along with "student driver"...even when I drive it alone.

Thanks for the clarification. I've always wondered if thats legal or not.

ecchiecchi 06-21-2011 08:13 AM

My N sign got stolen again. Getting really troublesome. When I go to ICBC, they refuse to give me more than 1. =[

Matlock 06-21-2011 09:59 AM

Rub dog poo all over your N sign as a deterrent if you it is outside of the car

why no just put the sign inside?

Posted via RS Mobile

sebberry 06-21-2011 10:04 AM

That's mature.

Seriously. A plate frame would be an option for people who own their own car or parents who don't mind having one on theirs. It would be much less likely to be stolen and you would never have to worry about it being placed in the wrong location. Refundable $10 deposit when you drop it back off at ICBC for someone else to use when you take your class 5 test.

MindBomber 06-21-2011 10:24 AM

I have an even better solution, just get rid of N signs altogether. Police are the only drivers on the road who pay attention to them anyway.
Posted via RS Mobile

Mining 06-21-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7483575)
If that was the case, driving instructors wouldn't be able to drive cars with "Student driver", "L" and "N" plastered all over them.

They might have an exception since they are driving instructors.

sebberry 06-21-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodeus (Post 7484777)
They might have an exception since they are driving instructors.

Wait for it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7484027)

xilley 06-23-2011 10:32 AM

to be honest i dont even see the point of having an N sign law
its just to tell the cops that your a new driver, and that you should pull them over more often and keep an eye out for tiny mistakes the driver may "accidentally" make and slap them a fine
atleast thats how i see it
and when you get pulled be more of a dick to them cause their likely to be teenagers.

sebberry 06-23-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7487368)
to be honest i dont even see the point of having an N sign law
its just to tell the cops that your a new driver, and that you should pull them over more often and keep an eye out for tiny mistakes the driver may "accidentally" make and slap them a fine
atleast thats how i see it
and when you get pulled be more of a dick to them cause their likely to be teenagers.

It can become a bit discriminatory, can't it.

I still maintain the N is a bit like wearing your baseball cap all cockeyed. It's a statement of youth that empowers the wearer to act a bit more foolishly than he would if he was wearing a suit and tie.

I feel as if N bearers think they can get away with being a little more arrogant on the road.

jlenko 06-23-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7487382)
It can become a bit discriminatory, can't it.

I still maintain the N is a bit like wearing your baseball cap all cockeyed. It's a statement of youth that empowers the wearer to act a bit more foolishly than he would if he was wearing a suit and tie.

I feel as if N bearers think they can get away with being a little more arrogant on the road.

Funny you should mention that... I notice an awful lot of N-equipped cars (usually those with black electrical tape, or other hand-made illegal sign, instead of the proper N sign), that are being driven by kids wearing cock-eyed baseball caps...