REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   would a smaller oil restrictor help this problem? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648111-would-smaller-oil-restrictor-help-problem.html)

Bath Tussue 06-21-2011 12:47 AM

would a smaller oil restrictor help this problem?

right now i am running a 0.065" oil restrictor that came with my turbo.
oil feed is a -4AN.
oil return is a -10AN, as short as i can make it and goes only downhill. maybe a small section that is horizontal.
engine oil pressure is 80~90 psi above 3500 rpm.

i was told there was blue smoke coming out from the exhaust when the engine was under load.
after a hard run, i can also see smoke coming from the turbo, and that smoke contains oil. the engine bay area around the turbo has a film of oil from this smoke.
i believe oil was seeping out the exhaust side. i have yet to take out the intake piping to check for oil in the pipe.

the turbo was brand new from Precision when i installed it.
it is a ball bearing turbo.

would using a 0.035" restrictor help?
or should i troubleshoot else where?
would high crank case pressure cause the blue smoke too?

Captain Bondo 06-21-2011 11:32 AM

Yep, improving crank case breathing it what I would look at first.

sdubfid 07-03-2011 09:07 AM

I would run a smaller restrictor. I have the -4an .030/.035 one from kinetic on my car since october. My friend has run them on 3-4 bb turbos with no issues.

Bath Tussue 07-03-2011 07:32 PM

i had a chance to take off the intake piping.
there were tons of oil in there too.
but i was not sure if the oil is from the oil vapour that came out the exhaust side.

i am currently working on making vents on the valve cover and making a 1/32" oil restrictor.

Bath Tussue 07-08-2011 07:48 PM

update: problem fixed.

i did several things at the same time, so i don't know which one is the real solution.
first, i made a 1/32" restrictor. turns out the restrictor originally in the turbo is actually a 0.035", so i didn't use the one i made.
i also took out all the intake pipes and cleaned out all the oil in there. every piece of pipe was covered in oil. the bottom of the intercooler had a huge puddle in there.
i also rerouted the oil return so there are less horizontal travel. and from that, i was able to cut 2 inches off the length of the hose.
taking out the oil return caused a lot of engine oil to leak out, so i also did an oil change with 2L of Motul 300V and 3 L of 8100.

the result is that there were no blue smoke at all during the 15 minute sessions on the track.

but after the first hard session, an insane amount of smoke was coming from under the hood. the oil that leaked before got soaked byt he turbo blanket, and those oil were burning off. after that, the car is just fine with the exception of melted waste hoses

Captain Bondo 07-13-2011 06:31 PM

Huh? Almost no oil should leak out when you remove the oil return, it should be above the oil level in the pan. If oil dumps out when you pull the return line something is wrong.

benr 10-26-2011 02:58 PM

sounds like the restrictor fixed things. try going back to the old one to confirm.