REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

would a smaller oil restrictor help this problem?

right now i am running a 0.065" oil restrictor that came with my turbo.
oil feed is a -4AN.
oil return is a -10AN, as short as i can make it and goes only downhill. maybe a small section that is horizontal.
engine oil pressure is 80~90 psi above 3500 rpm.

i was told there was blue smoke coming out from the exhaust when the engine was under load.
after a hard run, i can also see smoke coming from the turbo, and that smoke contains oil. the engine bay area around the turbo has a film of oil from this smoke.
i believe oil was seeping out the exhaust side. i have yet to take out the intake piping to check for oil in the pipe.

the turbo was brand new from Precision when i installed it.
it is a ball bearing turbo.

would using a 0.035" restrictor help?
or should i troubleshoot else where?
would high crank case pressure cause the blue smoke too?
Advertisement
Bath Tussue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Yep, improving crank case breathing it what I would look at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzystar View Post
I am better than everyone, you, your brothers, sisters, fathers, moms, even your fucking dogs. I can drive all drivetrain platforms and all types of industrial machinery, and I got a fucking nuclear sub, yeah thats right, a fucking nuclear sub.

fuck you, and all your shit.

this is revscene in it's entirety. /thread.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I would run a smaller restrictor. I have the -4an .030/.035 one from kinetic on my car since october. My friend has run them on 3-4 bb turbos with no issues.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

i had a chance to take off the intake piping.
there were tons of oil in there too.
but i was not sure if the oil is from the oil vapour that came out the exhaust side.

i am currently working on making vents on the valve cover and making a 1/32" oil restrictor.

Last edited by Bath Tussue; 07-03-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

update: problem fixed.

i did several things at the same time, so i don't know which one is the real solution.
first, i made a 1/32" restrictor. turns out the restrictor originally in the turbo is actually a 0.035", so i didn't use the one i made.
i also took out all the intake pipes and cleaned out all the oil in there. every piece of pipe was covered in oil. the bottom of the intercooler had a huge puddle in there.
i also rerouted the oil return so there are less horizontal travel. and from that, i was able to cut 2 inches off the length of the hose.
taking out the oil return caused a lot of engine oil to leak out, so i also did an oil change with 2L of Motul 300V and 3 L of 8100.

the result is that there were no blue smoke at all during the 15 minute sessions on the track.

but after the first hard session, an insane amount of smoke was coming from under the hood. the oil that leaked before got soaked byt he turbo blanket, and those oil were burning off. after that, the car is just fine with the exception of melted waste hoses
Old 07-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Huh? Almost no oil should leak out when you remove the oil return, it should be above the oil level in the pan. If oil dumps out when you pull the return line something is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzystar View Post
I am better than everyone, you, your brothers, sisters, fathers, moms, even your fucking dogs. I can drive all drivetrain platforms and all types of industrial machinery, and I got a fucking nuclear sub, yeah thats right, a fucking nuclear sub.

fuck you, and all your shit.

this is revscene in it's entirety. /thread.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

sounds like the restrictor fixed things. try going back to the old one to confirm.
benr is offline   Reply With Quote