REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

rear ended someone...

Quick question guys, first time I have got in an accident and was wondering what the procedure is now...

last night I rear ended someone (basically he was in front merging into traffic and I was behind merging into it as well, there were no cars in the merging lane and when I shoulder checked to merge in and by the time i looked back in front of me he had stopped for some reason and i bumped him....luckily we were going at very slow speeds so damage was basically a small scratch (no dent in either bumper). I know i will probably be at fault for this since I was the one that bumped him, even though I have no reason why he came to a stop...but we exchanged information and I guess he went to report it to icbc.

anyways the next day i get a call from icbc and they want me to go in to make a statement as well as check my car, and apparently the driver is claiming for injuries too wtf...I am assuming based on the damage ICBC is not stupid and will not fall for this idiot claiming injuries?....basically the bumpers were scuffed and maybe even be able to be buffed out, this guy was in his mid 20's too so its not like I hit an old lady...

anyways I am just wondering when I go in on friday what I should say to icbc or just keep quiet and let them deal with it...and what can I expect can happen in terms of insurance premiums and or any money I have to put up front because of this accident....and is there a difference between a bumper clean up as opposed to this guy getting something for his 'injuries' in terms of money coming out of my pocket?

thanks
Advertisement
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
As far as I know (I've only been in one accident, same thing, I rear ended somebody), ICBC deals with all the injury claims and such, you lose the same amount of discount with or without injury. If they take it to court, ICBC deals with the lawyers and such.

To you, there should be no difference in terms of money out of pocket.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
last night I rear ended someone
anyways the next day i get a call from icbc
wow.. did they call you at 8am sharp today???

That guy has a 24hr family doctor? im pretty sure he will need a letter from a doctor claiming of such injuries, and it seems fishy that he claims to be injuried between last night and this morning. Not to mention he would need a doctors note to claim such things.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

this happened to me before i bumped a guy while stopping at a red light (i was super tired) but i was going very slow just crawling to a stop and accidentally bumped him then he claimed whiplash but ICBC denied his claim. ICBC has a low velocity collison claims so you don't have to worry, heres a pdf i found on ICBC regarding that.

http://www.icbc.com/claims/Injury-cl...arch=%22low%22
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
just curious what race was the person you hit?
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
As long as you hit him from behind, it will always be your fault. He doesn't need a reason to stop.

I rear ended someone years ago. He was making a U turn at a three way intersection on Granville (illegal) but it was still my fault for rear ending him.
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #7

i should clarified icbc only denied his injury claim but i still had to pay the deductible for his scratched bumper.

and i dunno if the race matters but he was Caucasian.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

just an FYI...ICBC wants to see your car is because they want to see if the "damage" would cause injuries that the person is claiming and confirm stories.....but in this case...if there is no visable damage and just a scuff....ICBC would tell that guy to go take a hike...

and what you should say with ICBC....just tell them like how you told us on this thread.

premium wise...it would go up if it's your fault...but by how much? i'm not sure....check with your broker
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #9

thanks for the reply guys, yeah I know from reading past threads and hearing stories from people, that the person who rear ended the other car is responsible most of the times,
which i will accept.

What makes me mad is the fact that this guy is trying to take advantage of the situation by trying to claim for injuries. Now if he is actually injured I apologize but I strongly believe based on the force i touched him at and the proof of the damage (scrape), that he was not injured, i dont think someone can get injured with the same force as a small push from behind by a friend. Anyways, hope icbc doesnt give him jack all, and they should penalize people like him who try to claim bs injuries which causes everyones premium to go up.

on another note, does the severity of the damage reflect the increase in my premium?...i would hate to think my premium would go up a significant amount over such minor damage.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #10

in my case the damage to the bumper was minor so it would makes sense for me to pay for me to pay for his damages instead of letting my premium go up. ICBC will give you a choice to either pay for his damages yourself and ur premium stays the same or let icbc pay and ur premium goes up so depending on how much they quote you, you may want to just pay out the damage and your car will not get fix or again pay for it yourself, which was what i did.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Chances are, his injury claim will be denied. I was rear ended, maybe $500 damage to my bumper, just needed to be resprayed. I tried to claim injury (main reason being, I couldn't turn my head for 2 weeks) and it was denied. Sucked for me because I had to pay for 10 months of physio out of my own pocket...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
The accident is your fault, but fight the injury claim if it goes through! You can choose to reject ICBC's decision and fight it. The reason I say this is because if an injury claim is made, ICBC will not give you the option to pay out of pocket to cover the damages, they will increase your premiums.

Last edited by Redlines_Daily; 06-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #13

thanks for the reply guys....whats the maximum amount of damage that would be more beneficial for me to pay out of my own pocket rather than increase my premium?...Im not exactly too sure how the increase in premium works, is my premiums go up for how long?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #14

It depends on what discount level you are on, and are your previous driving history. Call ICBC 1-800 number and they can explain to you. IF you remain accident free for the next 3 years then your premiums will go back to what they were at before the accident.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
Your ICBC adjuster should have the calculations for cost of premium increase vs. estimated outright repair cost.

As for premium increase, I believe it's a standard 6 discount levels per accident, at 5% per level. So if you were at 35% discount, you will be at 5% discount. If you were at 10% discount, you'll be at a 20% premium.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/claim-record/CRS

your premiums are relative to the base rate. since you had an accident any discount you have will go down a certain number of levels, if the number of steps you go down is below the base rate, then you will have a surcharge on the claims rated scale. There is a way that you can get your discount back up to where it was as long as you drive a certain time without incident. I can't remember the specifics. Damn my insurance license expired long ago.....
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

just pay icbc back for the other persons claim, so you won't have to use your premiums
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
just pay icbc back for the other persons claim, so you won't have to use your premiums
ICBC usually will not let you do this if there is a personal injury claim involved
Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Don't be too quick to judge. Even though it was a slight bump, those are enough to usually make you feel pain the next day. The guy did the right thing by going to a doctor. As for his claim with icbc, that will be dealt with him, icbc, and any lawyers he hires.

Expect to be at icbc for 45 min. They gonna check your car, and you will be in the office giving statements, and probably signing a few forms.

The only time you have to worry about injuries, is if you have insurance that won't cover them.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
if your injured from a slight bump in the rear of a car, dont go outside you pansy ass. (not directed to anyone just people who try that kind of BS).

My accident my car hit a curb and ended up hitting a guy in the front passenger side of his car and I got 100% at fault cause my car came from behind and hit him.. can you believe that one? Spinning out of control and its my fault, HA.

Edit: also he brake checked me thats why I hit the curb
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
ICBC should issue a 2 minute minor for DIVING. jks in other words have like a strict policy that if you try to fake an injury and there is no sufficient proof, then have the guy pay for his damage
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
if your injured from a slight bump in the rear of a car, dont go outside you pansy ass. (not directed to anyone just people who try that kind of BS).

My accident my car hit a curb and ended up hitting a guy in the front passenger side of his car and I got 100% at fault cause my car came from behind and hit him.. can you believe that one? Spinning out of control and its my fault, HA.

Edit: also he brake checked me thats why I hit the curb
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
cant fail me
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV View Post
ICBC should issue a 2 minute minor for DIVING. jks in other words have like a strict policy that if you try to fake an injury and there is no sufficient proof, then have the guy pay for his damage
yeah i agree, pisses me off that hes trying to do this considering he was perfectly fine when i talked to him (which wasnt a surprise considering i only nudged him haha)
Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
yeah i agree, pisses me off that hes trying to do this considering he was perfectly fine when i talked to him (which wasnt a surprise considering i only nudged him haha)
These are the same people that will attempt to sue a fast food place if they spill hot coffee over their own lap.

It's nothing but a attempted cash grab. Don't stress yourself over it, the system will sort them out.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote