REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
2012 901 Porsche 911

Not overly impressed, 7-speed manual is the only really cool part. Amazing theyve kept it looking more or less the same for 50 years.

2012 Porsche 911 - Motor Trernd

Quote:
First Look: 2012 Porsche 911
7-speed Manual, a Whole Lot Bigger...But is it Any Better?
June 30, 2011 / By Mike Febbo
|

Okay, everyone, get it out of your systems. "Oh, look! A new 911 that looks just like the old 911!" We know that sentiment is going to fill the comments section below this article. For fans of the 911, we celebrate the fact that every new 911 still looks like a 911. The first car was a near-perfect design for its time, and all Porsche has had to do over almost 50 years of production is modernize it with each new generation. What really matters is what's under the skin, and the 2012 991 has plenty going on.

To start, the dimensions have changed more in one fell swoop than ever in 911 history. The wheelbase has grown by almost four inches, while the overall length has only grown by 2. This may not seem significant, but the 911 has always been defined by long overhangs, especially in the rear. The shorter overhang in back is accomplished by using newly designed transaxles that move the axle line 3 inches back in relation to the engine. This is a big step in Porsche's -- and more specifically the 911's -- ongoing battle with physics. The more mass that is positioned between the axles, the less cantilevering that takes place under high-load conditions, something that defines and hinders the rear-engine design.

Moving the engine and transmission forward means more intrusion into the interior. To increase passenger space, the A-pillars and windshield have been pushed forward. The A-pillar has moved 1.4 inches, while the base of the windshield center is pushed forward more than three inches, translating to a more rounded windshield, also part of the 911's ongoing evolution. Trunk volume is said to be the same at 4.8 cubic feet, while the front-mounted gas tank volume increases by nearly a gallon.

With all the extra size, you might think the 991 has put on some weight compared to the 997, but the new design makes extensive use of aluminum and magnesium along with the traditional steel pieces. The front and rear structure, floor, hood, and doors are all built from aluminum, while the rear quarter panels, front longitudinal crash structures, A-pillars, and roof frame are all steel. Even a few magnesium pieces are thrown in for good measure as structural supports inside the car. The mixed metal architecture did provide some challenges with construction. Like-metal pieces are welded but aluminum and steel joints are affixed with adhesives. The entire body is larger and stiffer than the outgoing 997, but it actually is lighter, with a base 991 Carrera weighing almost 80 pounds less than the current 997.

With every 911 generation, Porsche has made huge strides in handling development. The 991 will be no different, not only because of its improved weight distribution, but several new systems Porsche has developed for the new platform. MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension is still being used, but the geometry has been recalibrated to reduce dive and squat. Porsche will of course offer a range of performance options for the 991 chassis. Adaptive dampers were developed on the 997 and will return for the 991, augmented by an adaptive anti-roll system similar to the PDCC system found on the Cayenne. Adding to Porsche's alphabet soup will be a yet-unnamed electronically variable limited slip differential offered on PDK-equipped cars. The LSD uses the hydraulic pump in the PDK to change the lock-up ratio to suit driving conditions. Cars equipped with the seven-speed manual will still have to make do with a standard mechanical limited slip differential.

For the first time in 911 history, the 991 will switch to electric power steering. While most electric power steering units don't live up to Porsche standards, the company insists this system does. Not only will it reduce complexity and the number of hydraulic lines that run the length of the vehicle, but it also is more efficient, only drawing power when needed.

Porsche is giving the new cars more efficient powertrains as well. The 997 mid-cycle update marked a switch to direct-injection, but there is a bigger change for the 991 base model. The engine drops from 3.6 to 3.4 liters but gains 5 horsepower. S models will still use 3.8-liter flat-6s but will gain 15 hp, up to an even 400 thanks to new fuel injectors, hollow camshafts, and lighter variable valve timing gear. The lighter rotating and reciprocating mass inside the engine also allows for a higher 7800-rpm redline. Transmission choices are either the seven-speed PDK or a seven-speed manual transmission based on the three-shaft semi-automatic. The PDK has proven itself to be the faster of the two transmissions yet again. Looking at Motor Trend data, a PDK-equipped 2012 911 GTS with 408 hp and weighing 3272 pounds did 0-60 mph in 3.9-seconds. We estimate a more efficient Carrera S 991 with similar power will be slightly quicker.

Click to view GalleryWith the assembly line requiring a complete retooling for 991 production, we have to wonder how big of a gap customers will see in production of cars like the 911 and GT models. It isn't likely Porsche will want to see those nameplates, or customers' checkbooks, sit idle for very long. Porsche may move the development of those models along faster than in previous generations.

The 991 will make its first public appearance at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September and first drives are expected in the fall. New 911s have historically received a cool reception from enthusiasts, and this one might be downright frigid. This will no doubt be the best 911 ever, technically. But will it be the best 911 ever, emotionally?
Advertisement
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Right so the fact that they have converted it to almost a mid engine, improved fuel efficiency while improving performance, and have for the first time LOST weight in a new model isnt at all impressive?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Front end reminds me of the cayman lol
Posted via RS Mobile
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
And it's a 991, not a 901.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Considering 911's engine will always be behind the axle away from the center point; it is physically impossible to covert it to even "almost a mid engine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Right so the fact that they have converted it to almost a mid engine, improved fuel efficiency while improving performance, and have for the first time LOST weight in a new model isnt at all impressive?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Porsches Boxster, 911 have always been sharing front ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737! View Post
Front end reminds me of the cayman lol
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Why fix something that aint broke? Porsches have always been the reliable supercar and still are because they know whatsup.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Sorry im not more enthusiastic about it, I do like the car enough to have read the article and taken the time to post it on revscene.

Quote:
And it's a 991, not a 901.
Please excuse my typo, i did not mean to mislead anyone about it. If i could fix the title i would.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #9

Because new CAFE rules, new gearboxes that are smaller.. etc etc.

Please define your concept of a supercar.. I won't consider a bread and butter 911 a supercar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
Why fix something that aint broke? Porsches have always been the reliable supercar and still are because they know whatsup.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #10

For those who are interested more in the 991, Car and Driver's August edition have a more in depth article with interior pics etc.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post

did the R/F got smack up? or is it just reflection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post

Please define your concept of a supercar.. I won't consider a bread and butter 911 a supercar.
Try driving one and you'll say different. Your buying more then just 345 bhp when you buy a base model 911.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
you know im actually a bit relieved... seeing the camo'd versions of it made me fear it was going to look butt ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
did the R/F got smack up? or is it just reflection?
if you go to the site there's a gallery and the black one still has tape all over it specially on the fender

Last edited by StylinRed; 07-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
lol
Need my Daily Fix of RS

That thing looks so hot.. infact they all do.. I first fell in love with Porsche back in 1989.. when I was 7 years old. My dad bought me a Porsche 911 cab slant nose model.. It was like a 930 lol. I was just a kid but couldn't get over how beautiful the lines were on this car - especially the back end. Every since I built that model I have had this loyal passion for Porsche cars (most specifically the 911).

I love how Porsche has kept its word over the decades. They are loyal and confident in their design. You don't get a totally different car every 4 yrs out of the Porsche factory like other manufacturers. Porsche customers know what they are buying because they make subtle improvements based on the previous generation. So if you think about it, every generation has been perfected from the last and today this is without a doubt the best and most advanced 911 to date.
lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Let's hope VAG stays out of Porsche's business.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts
looks like any other 911..
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
i went to germany in the past month and its crazy how many people use there porsches as DD's...and im not talking about caymans, boxters or anything like that im talking 911 turbos and higher.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #18

I had a 993 C4 as a DD over in Ontario and put more than 40k in it as a DD over 2 years. Slap on winter tires in after thanksgiving and swap back when the summer comes you are good to go. It is time before PSM etc. The only driver's aid was the ABS.

That's why I asked before please define what's your definition of a supercar.. in my book, 911 doesn't quite qualify for one.

Quote:
Try driving one and you'll say different. Your buying more then just 345 bhp when you buy a base model 911.

Last edited by godwin; 07-03-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
i went to germany in the past month and its crazy how many people use there porsches as DD's...and im not talking about caymans, boxters or anything like that im talking 911 turbos and higher.
isn't the point of a porsche supposed to be that it's a pure bred sports car that you can DD? aside from the gt3/rs and cgt i don't see any reason it'd be crazy to drive a porsche everyday.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #20
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
they're trying to get that message across here now too
their new commercial involves a lady using a 911 as a DD to run errands and pick up her kids and speed isn't a msg involved in the adverts
Posted via RS Mobile
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #21
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
A teacher at my school drive a Porsche everyday... i think it was cayman or 911...
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoku View Post
A teacher at my school drive a Porsche everyday... i think it was cayman or 911...
Waat? Wow man no way! That's so crazy! Unreal..
Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post

maybe not a base 911, but the GT3RS and GT2RS are everyday supercars
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostslut View Post
Did I mention it is a high school teacher? but he never parks in the staff lot... only on the street where he won't get car dings XD
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostslut View Post
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote