REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
DUHHH HELLLLLLLLLO

Where can I buy Tripod glider dolly for dlsr locally

I have recently been more into videography but I am lacking the proper tools to create better work.
I am looking for a glider track dolly to mounts onto tripodfor my d90. Since I have recently gotten into the camera world I am not familiar with hardcore camera stores locally.

I only know of broadway camera and future shop (which they dont have a lot of variety)

TIA

ps: something like these
http://www.glidetrack.com/home
Advertisement

For Sale
BMW Multimedia cord for iDrive
GDchoi's Closet Cleanout
GDChoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Locally there isn't much to choose from when buying a slider. Pretty much non existent in BC. Beau rents out Cinevate ones but I don't know if they sell them. I personally would pick one up online. Theres 2 types to look for:

Friction based slider: These are the cheaper sliders that usually slide on delrin or other low resistance matierial. The more weight you pack on, the more effort you'll have the slide. The benefits of this is that the weight and friction acts as a brake to slow down and smooth out your shots. Dust and so forth won't affect the rails as much. These can be found on eBay and made DIY from a company called IGUS who makes the rails and dollys. ($120+). In fact I think the Glidetrack uses the same IGUS rails, they just build em for you and add legs etc.

Roller bearing type sliders: They're kinda designed after a roller coaster in the fact that they have many roller bearings mounted on the inside and outside of a rail and sometimes over and on top (similar to how a roller coaster stays inverted on a track). It's incredibly smooth and extra weight means minimal more effort in sliding the camera across the track. It's more susceptible to dust and dirt on the tracks so they usually come with cleaner swipes to periodically clean the rails. Some of the more high end ones have a brake you can manually tighten to add resistance. These can be found the cheapest on eBay under a brand called Konova ($330).

The more expensive ones are marketed under Cinevate, Kessler Pocket Dollys, IndieHardware etc. ($500+)
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
DUHHH HELLLLLLLLLO

soo correct me if i am wrong but
slider vs track

slider more portable and dust etc doesnt effect track dollies but not as smooth as dolly?

For Sale
GDchoi's Closet Cleanout
Old 07-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Whoops I might've read your post wrong as I was reading on my phone. You were asking about a tripod dolly but I misinterpreted it as a slider that you mount on a tripod. Each has it's own pros and cons but the slider is definently more portable and easier to set up and use. Not to mention more solid. But the DIY Dolly can be much cheaper. Both are just as smooth. A dolly typically gets more sweep then a slider as people usually only get 32 inch sliders.

"DIY Dolly and Track"

Friction Based Slider

Roller Bearing Slider

JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
DUHHH HELLLLLLLLLO

thanks man!
I technically already have a track dolly system but its diy really badly with imperfections here and there. but I learned something to do about the wheels that slide on the track

take a look at my video and see the slight imperfections in the track set up

once i change up my wheels on my dolly hopefully it will be much smoother, may even pick up a tripod dolly for meets, cuz bringing my track is embarassing and takes forever

For Sale
GDchoi's Closet Cleanout