REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

View Poll Results: Bone stock car: upgrade to aftermarket alarm system / Keep factory alarm
My car is bone stock but I have an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer 9 15.52%
My car is bone stock but I kept the factory alarm/immobilizer 26 44.83%
Thread does not apply, but I'd go aftermarket even with a bone stock car 9 15.52%
Thread does not apply, but I'd keep the factory alarm/immobilizer with a bone stock car 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Bone Stock Sedan and Aftermarket Alarm

Hey guys,

Do any of you guys drive a bone stock car with factory alarm? Or did most of you upgrade your factory alarm to an aftermarket system even though you do not have any mods?

bone stock = not a single aftermarket part in the car (stock stereo/stock rims/stock everything). think of it as a 2010 BMW sedan fresh from the dealership or a 2010 Civic from the dealer.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Where's the option for "This thread is gay."?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
It's more functionality than anything....Compare what the factory alarm can do and the model of aftermarket alarm you are trying to install.... If your aftermarket alarm wins then by all means go ahead.

A 2010 BMW isn't exactly something you can steal with a screw driver though so I'd put my money elsewhere.....like a mortgage.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
It's more functionality than anything....Compare what the factory alarm can do and the model of aftermarket alarm you are trying to install.... If your aftermarket alarm wins then by all means go ahead.

A 2010 BMW isn't exactly something you can steal with a screw driver though so I'd put my money elsewhere.....like a mortgage.
ok - lets say its a 2008 civic or 2008 toyota.

Factory alarm:
- lock / unlock doors
- alarm is triggered if door is opened when armed
- fob does not confirm actions
- no timed lock
- key has immobilizer chip

Aftermarket
- lock / unlock doors
- alarm is triggered if glass is broken/doors are opened when armed (i'm not getting a hood/trunk pin)
- fob confirms all actions
- timed lock (lock after 30 seconds) - this is one thing i'll miss.
- needs key for immobilizer

Am I missing anything??
To me there is only one feature i'll miss - the timed lock. I'm not convinced on spending $500+ for a timed lock feature.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
summer - AC
winter - defrosted

Autostart -

Also, since my truck is turbocharged, I can set a delay on shutdown to cool the turbo.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #6

2008 then oh haha yeah still worth it to put on alarm....

like my 2010 Cube then it's pretty retarded to add alarm because it'd have everything your aftermarket alarm does except it's 1-way.

timed door lock - it has speed sensitive central locking
immobilizer chip on key - ECU integrated immobilizer
factory shock sensor

all in standard package....Most cars from 2010 would come with these

Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
MiX iT Up!

i just read my car has timed door locks
it has immobilizer chip on key
i dont know if it has a shock sensor (how do i find out?)
what is an ECU integrated immobilizer?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
My friend put an aftermarket alarm on her fit, everytime I drove by with my Z the alarm would be set off, i didn't need to rev or anything just moving from a standstill... lol make sure the proximity sensor (or w/e they call it) is not retarded.

I am looking to put a power door/alarm/immobilizer in my miata though, any suggestions? can it be done for <$200?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
MiX iT Up!

^ I got powers doors( solenoid + programming + install) added on my old car for $110 from NMotion. This was 6 years ago. One solenoid failed after 5 years replacement was done by catalin for $20 iirc.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Personally, ive always installed an alarm with previous cars ive owned just to give me that peace-of-mind piece.

Ive recently picked up an sti, and to be honest, i DONT think i'll install an alarm.

Why not? Because...
-I either park in my garage or in high traffic areas.
-Not too many people out there can easily hot wire a new car and drive off with it.
-If someone was to break it, most likely they'd want to steal something (ie, headunit, sunglasses, backpacks etc...) And they'd most likely be successful if they pop the hood and cut the battery. Unless you were to install a back up battery.
-Factory already comes with the "security" blinking light to detour thieves.
-Factory already unlocks driver door, as well as all other doors if i push the "unlock" twice.

Why i would? Because...
-It'd be nice to have shock sensor. Although its annoying when sensitivity is turned high.
-Turbo timer would be an asset with my particular car.
-Trunk release would come in handy.
-Autostart is benefital in the winter and summer

Conclusion...
-With all the goodies added to my aftermarket alarm, plus unit and install, you'd be looking at around $700. Is it worth it to you?
-Even with a hightech fancy alarm, a good thief will always be able to break in and steal what they want. If not drive off with your car.
-If i was to get another, i'd defiantly stay with a compustar 2wfm-as.
-2way's are nice. but the likelyhood of going "out-of-reception" is high.

Bottomline...
-But one if you've got the extra cash to blow and want your car to sound different upon "lock/unlock", aswell as some of the nice features of it.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

^ Thanks for the response. I don't have extra cash to blow. and If i do go with alarm it will be a 2wAM system.

the things that appeal to me are the shock sensor - in case some idiot tries to break the glass.
Like you I park in a garage at night, and rarely park in a secluded area for an extended period of time.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
RS Licensed Vendor

It really comes down to what kind of car, what area you live/play/work at, etc etc.

Most newer cars come with factory alarms nowadays which are good and serve their purpose. But sometimes you wish you had a little extra protection which factory alarms don't give you.

Often times factory alarms are very easily disabled. Factory alarms don't have shock sensors. Most don't having paging or GPS capabilities. Here's my story with not owning an aftermarket alarm. I used to live in Van in a residential area, then basically a delivery truck backed into my car and left a big dent in my hood. I didn't notice it right away, and because the factory alarm was not triggered I never knew about it. So basically out a deductible and the hassle. A cheap shit $200 alarm would've let me catch the culprit.

All in all, it's all personal preference. Aftermarket is generally better in terms of what it's capable off. If you LOVE your car then I recommend an aftermarket alarm. If your car is just a car to you and you never leave anything inside it then whatever....again depending on the car and where you live also. I often have customers install paging alarms because joyriders keep scoping out their stock rides.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
This thread is useless especially you don't specify which car explicitly. Also what do you want the alarm to do? Stop people from stealing your car? or people breaking into your car?

Different cars have different options eg some Z4, 3er just misses the motion sensor which you can add etc. The rest of the BMW range have motion sensors standard.. so you might want to specify exact model instead of throwing two random make and models.

ICBC requires built in ignition immobilizer on new cars over the last few years.. so nearly all new cars, will have that built in to the ECU.

IMO bone stock car, if you are neat and tidy AND park indoors you shouldn't need aftermarket alarms.

Last edited by godwin; 07-06-2011 at 03:46 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
This thread is useless especially you don't specify which car explicitly. Also what do you want the alarm to do? Stop people from stealing your car? or people breaking into your car?

Different cars have different options eg some Z4, 3er just misses the motion sensor which you can add etc. The rest of the BMW range have motion sensors standard.. so you might want to specify exact model instead of throwing two random make and models.

ICBC requires built in ignition immobilizer on new cars over the last few years.. so nearly all new cars, will have that built in to the ECU.

IMO bone stock car, if you are neat and tidy AND park indoors you shouldn't need aftermarket alarms.

exact model: 2008 mazda 3

i guess my beemer example was too extreme..

Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Mazda 3 has a very active local forum, just go on their forum search then ask questions. All cars have security weak points, it always come down to know where they are and correct them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

If you leave nothing important in the car then I would just stick with factory. Mazda 3's had that security flaw in the door, no aftermarket alarm can prevent that from happening. Your factory alarm should go off if the door is opened.

I would only recommend an aftermarket if you wanted a shock sensor, GPS, 2way paging or all of the above.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
Mazda 3's had that security flaw in the door, no aftermarket alarm can prevent that from happening.
Shitty thing is the problem's been rectified but crackheads are still going to try it. $300 deductible down the drain, alarm or not.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #18

in Cman's example whether you catch the culprit or not is really a matter of chance in the end. Even with after market alarm a dent in the hood = less than 5 seconds later the culprit has already GTFO if he has no intention to pay for it anyway. How likely are you going to rush to the car in split seconds' time just as the 2 way is triggered?

An aftermarket alarm won't do you any good in day-to-day dings and bashes. A factory ECU integrated immobilizer is really difficult to overcome as it is so if you are worried about getting the car stolen that's the big solution already in your car. Then the break-ins.....are you going to be able to call the RS beatdown crew in time?

Just sayin'

Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
MiX iT Up!

the big appeal on aftermarket for me is the

- time door locks - even if the door is opened (current car , if i open the door , the auto locking does not engage)
- shock sensor

could care less for gps - cuz car isn't going anywhere.
could care less for 2 way - but will get 2 way if im getting after market.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
unless you live or frequently park your car in a shady area, IMO those reasons you mentioned aren't enough to warrant after market. i'd be fine with stock. just make sure you don't leave stuff out in the open in your car and make it a habit to always check to ensure your car is locked

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: