REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

About to get a dog...

Im about to get a dog, a small one less then 25pounds , anything i should know like shots? vets? and what i should have for it to maintain a good lifestyle? thanks in advance
Advertisement
guesskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Is this your first dog ?

If so get ready , because you sir will be taking on a life, it is like having a sibling you will have to take care of it and teach it things , at times it maybe frustrating but it is all worth it.

I just recently got my first dog, you gotta train them well and not give them so much freedom in the beginning or else they will walk all over you.
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Hyde's Understudy

Make sure you read the dangers of some foods. Raisins grapes can be deadly for dogs. Don't give them oily food or table scraps. Bring your dog to a vet and they will tell you what to do and when. Buy dog food from a pet store and ask them for a more natural diet with no fillers. Having a more better diet will mean a better life and less vet bills.

Just make sure you never hit your dog as punishment. Be patient and love him/her 100% because they love you more than themselves.

Yes I love dogs more than humans most the time
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

I've been looking to get a dog for quite a while now and will be doing so next month. Anyone wanna post some tips/help for a first timer?
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

yeah its a lot of work, read some books first, make sure u are willing to commit to the dog the next ~10 years

then start looking

but anyway, stay away from petshops, look for a reputable breeder,
what kind of dogs you guys looking for?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Female Driven

my boxer is turning 1 years old tomorrow! it was a tough year i gotta admit...but i still love him nonetheless after all the sofas and walls he chewed through....

just a heads up :P

sometimes it's also worth it to check american breeders..i got Brembo (my boxer) at the exit just right past the border

Goodluck!

----------------------------------
Before sex, you help each other get naked. After sex, you only dress yourself.
Moral of story: In life, no one helps you once you're fucked.
FI-Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI-SP23 View Post
my boxer is turning 1 years old tomorrow! it was a tough year i gotta admit...but i still love him nonetheless after all the sofas and walls he chewed through....

just a heads up :P

sometimes it's also worth it to check american breeders..i got Brembo (my boxer) at the exit just right past the border

Goodluck!
I'm looking at getting a boxer as well! How was the first year?
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Female Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
I'm looking at getting a boxer as well! How was the first year?
just note that boxers CHEW and require A LOT of attention. haha
they are VERY energetic dogs but great company haha

some cute things to note...they sleep on their backs...farts and then chases their own butts, and snores haha (the list goes on!)

although my dog is very time consuming, i don't regret getting him
the puppy years of a dog's life is the most expensive imo.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #9

^werd
I have an only 3 month old french bulldog
vet bills so far ~$300
plus toys and food and other accessories
Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Female Driven

^ did you get insurance? you should really consider getting insurance...i got mine through BCAA covers illness and accidents for up to a couple thousand dollars

i think food is the most expensive if you really care for your dog's health...especially for a french bulldog or a boxer like mine, they are prone to have heart conditions (though i've heard bulldogs have more health issues)..i considered buying a french bulldog too btw :P cute and fun dogs (i'm more into these types of dogs with the flat nose haha, i.e. bulldogs, boxers, boston terriers, pugs

i decided to buy a boxer over the others is because i prefer big dogs that i can take him with me to outdoor activities like biking, camping, etc...plus they're more fun to hug! and i don't wanna be like those typical vancouver girls that buy loud yappy pomeranians...friend has one and he is ANNOYING and MEAN. Bigger dogs ,so it seems, are more friendly and not likely to bark as much (just my personal point of view)

btw 604nguyen, i saw a guy at the steveston parade that had a 3month old french bulldog too! haha he was the most adorable thing ever!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
VLS Pet Forum Mod

find a local dog training place (research as some are better then others). They can be great help through all the stages and give you tips and hints to work through things. Things to get before dog comes home: a chew toy, a soft toy, water and food dishes, leash, collar (get an adjustable buckle that way it will fit for a bit), Some sort of bed or crate. If you can send a blanket, kennel pad to the breeders to put in with the pup/dog that way when they come home with it it will have familiar smells.
Do not buy a bunch of toys as every dog is different in what they like to play with.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

train train and train in the beginning... however, small dogs are easier to teach than big dogs... so if you're getting a small one they tend to listen quite easier. start walking without a leash from the beginning
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
VLS Pet Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
train train and train in the beginning... however, small dogs are easier to teach than big dogs... so if you're getting a small one they tend to listen quite easier. start walking without a leash from the beginning
small dogs are easier to train ? It's that alot of people don't expect much from small dogs. A small dog is not easier to train. I have trained from small to big the only thing to note is to adjust your training to the dog. Some dogs are softer, some are thicker headed. Trust me even the small dogs can be stubborn. This misconception of small dogs being easier is what gives small dogs such a bad rap when people don't train them properly and they have bad manners and social skills.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

spca is your friend. but most puppies are from out of town so you won't meet them before hand.

got 2 dogs at home from spca. both are under 2 years old, and awesome. older is a jack russel/cockerspaniel boy, the younger girl is a terrier/chihuahua.

2 dogs is so much win. as i type this i have a dog laying on my feet.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
i've had 3 dogs in my life, a labrador, a pitbull (both larger dogs) so easy to train, and now i have a french bulldog (relatively smaller dog).....stubborn little guy and real slow learner....

i dont think size really matters, just depends on the dog, but if anything, i find the smaller ones are harder