REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #26
lol
Need my Daily Fix of RS

That's really sad news.. the manual transmission is such a key element to the driving experience.. especially if you're purchasing an exotic! how the hell are you supposed to lay a patch or break out the ass end at any given time with a grandma enabled paddle shifter. I do love the idea of paddle shift. It's proven faster n all. It is a lot nicer if you're daily driving stuck in traffic everyday. But if you take your exotic out every weekend in the summer, most likely its a weekend cruise where the manual is no big deal.

I would definitely buy a manual exotic.
Advertisement
lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
I bet the next next generation of kids will shitalk stick shifts
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #28
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
kind of off topic, but a lot of people say music that are made in that era are better than today's.
best music is the late 80's/ early 90's. Todays music is meh. Theres still good music out there thats made today but the mainstream stuff is a hit and miss for me.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmatic View Post
I bet the next next generation of kids will shitalk stick shifts
I also bet they'll abuse plan b, and die killing each other one way or another.

Does anyone else find it sexy when a chick drives standard? I don't care if she stalls, least she's tryin!

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #30
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
chicks + standard transimission = hot

But I like it when they do it good, lol.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #31
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
kind of off topic, but a lot of people say music that are made in that era are better than today's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
^

really off topic.
Hell has frozen over, I finally agree with a Timpo post.

Though I'm not talking about the "style" of music since that's subjective. As someone who worked extensively in the music industry throughout the 80's (recording studios and FOH mixing) I find myself sick of all the shitty processing and "fixing" of modern music.

Although products like ProTools have brought editing and production to the home studio (and therefore, a lot of lesser-known musicians), it's also resulted in a lot of crap out there. It used to be when you listened to an album you could pick out slight mistakes here and there. You knew there was a musician that originally sat down and played the entire song through (probably several times) and they picked the best take.

If they made a big mistake, then the method to correct it required a bit of work. The musician would listen to the track they layed down and play along. The engineer would literally press "record" at the point where the "mistake" occurred and record the new portion live from the musician to replace the "bad" portion on the tape. This didn't always work and sometimes the "insertion" of the new part was so obvious that it just sounded better to leave minor mistakes in the recording than to try an do an "obvious" fix.

This type of "editing" required a significant amount of skill from recording studio engineers. This along with the skills of even a simple task like finding the best location for a microphone to achieve the sound you want (so many people today don't even understand the huge difference this can make). The attitude today is "just record the tracks and we can fix it later in ProTools".

To me this is exactly the same as electronic nannies on cars. What used to take a lot of skill is now replaced by computers. Sure the end result can be "perfect" but it's also sterile. Just like most modern recorded music.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #32
Need to Seek Professional Help

Nothing can replace heel-toe downshifting into a corner

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
Nothing can replace heel-toe downshifting into a corner

YouTube - ‪Race Car Driver & His Footwork‬‏
not true,

The 370Z's synchro rev match is superior to this.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #34
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
^Yea but do you use a third pedal
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #35

meh... it's just a phase shift in generation.

People from the last generation will think music was better in the 90's. Same with cars.

People from today's generation will think today's music is better than what will come out in the next generation...

Sooner or later, they won't even have sequential/dual clutch gear changes. It'll be all computer controlled for optimized gear change for the fastest lap times...
pk_volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
oh god i drove my friends altima CVT

takes "slushbox" to a whole new level
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #37
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
You can argue that quartz watches are superior to mechanical/automatic watches because they keep time better and are more reliable. That is the purpose of a watch, to be able to reliably tell its user the time.

However, mechanical watches are sought after by enthusiasts even if they have to worn to keep them moving and even if they are less reliable. These people appreciate the precision of the watch's movement and the inner mechanisms that make the watch work.

It is the same with automatic vs manual transmissions. Automatic transmissions have reached the point where they are superior to manuals. For a car to be "better" it has to go faster reliably, that is its purpose, and the newer automatics serve this purpose better.

However, manual transmissions are sought after by enthusiasts even if they shift slower and are less reliable as no one can shift perfectly all the time. These people appreciate the connection afforded by a manual transmission. The mechanical link felt when rowing through the gears one after another. A perfectly executed rev-matched/heel-toe downshift is much more satisfying than just pulling a paddle. A driver is just so much more involved when there is a third pedal and he uses both feet.

Haha I feel like one of those older people that say things were better in the good old days
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Haha I feel like one of those older people that say things were better in the good old days
Some things were. I love new technology, but technology shouldn't replace everything.

- Modern fuel injection computers extracting the maximum HP out of an engine due to their precision in controlling fuel/spark = win.
- Having a car "drive itself" for you = fail.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #39
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

For some people, the act of driving brings no enjoyment, ie people that are driving a prius. They aren't trying to get any type of experience out of driving aside from getting to Point A to B with A/C and a speaker system.
Fuhrėr-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #40
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
if automatics are so superior,

why is it you always see automatics being rebuilt all the fuckin time? all manufacturers, all models,

and they are twice as difficult to work on,

my civic has 330 thousand K's, manual transmission still rock solid,

ive never seen an auto tranny come close to approaching 300k
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I don't know how a new computerized DSG or equivalent could EVER be considered more reliable than as an old fashioned manual. They're more complex, therefore more parts to break or go wrong.

I've never heard of a manual gearbox breaking from anything other than a manufacturing defect or serious abuse (IE Putting a stock Mustang T5 behind 500 horsepower).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #42
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Havent driven a manual car yet but I'm so interested in learning. Automatics boring, ugh.
Posted via RS Mobile
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #43
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Just after they release the "worlds most emotional gearbox". Interesting.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I don't know how a new computerized DSG or equivalent could EVER be considered more reliable than as an old fashioned manual. They're more complex, therefore more parts to break or go wrong.

I've never heard of a manual gearbox breaking from anything other than a manufacturing defect or serious abuse (IE Putting a stock Mustang T5 behind 500 horsepower).
What makes them reliable is they don't make common mistakes that people do. They don't ride or abuse the clutch and they don't "slam" the shifter in the next gear.

Of course, this is offset by the greater number of parts so I think in the end there's not really much difference.