REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

01 Corolla broken serpentine tensioner pulley bolt

Any DIY'ers or mechanics repair a sheared off tensioner bolt (the one the serpentine tensioner arm pivots on, threads into the block) on a 2001 Corolla? Friend's broke off on the hwy but still got it home. Actually didn't know it was broken except for some major squealing from the belt. With the bolt broken, the tensioner was sitting crooked and the belt was quite loose. The threaded end is still in the block, not sure what the best way to go about extracting it.

Did a few searches online and although it seems to be somewhat common, not too many tips on how to fix it as most just took it to a shop.

Seems I'll either have to remove the timing chain cover and pray there is enough threaded end sticking out to grab on to or lifting out the motor partially as there is not enough room between the shock tower and engine, and then drill and use an extractor.

Any advise or tips??
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i can't remember if that serpentine belt tensioner is bolted onto the timing cover, or onto the engine block... if it's on teh timing cover, just replace the cover... prolly take the average mechanic 3 or 4 hours to do it, plus parts...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfy View Post
i can't remember if that serpentine belt tensioner is bolted onto the timing cover, or onto the engine block... if it's on teh timing cover, just replace the cover... prolly take the average mechanic 3 or 4 hours to do it, plus parts...
For a corolla, it goes to the engine block. If you have enough tool use this guide to drill it out yourself. It may take up to an hour but it saved me $1000.
silveryhat is offline   Reply With Quote