REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Headlight Color

I was wondering, what colors of headlight light emitted is allowed for your car.

Before you scream at me for after market HID's, I dont have them..

My car has parking lights and its normal headlights which are white in color, the parking lights are a single dark blue LED. When only the parking lights are turned on the headlights are a dark blue, no light is emitted onto the road surface or other cars, it just makes the headlights look like its glowing blue. When I turn on the headlights, a normal headlight xenon white/blue will emit from the headlights with the housing completely blue. The normal headlights aren't affected in anyway, but I just dont wanna get get pulled over for impersonating a police car or something. Is this okay?
Advertisement
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Sticky: The Answer to Almost All Questions About Lights

Read it.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #3

Like was said, read the stickied thread. But no, you're not allowed blue lights. Unless your car is a police car?
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

I did but there just the part I dont get

Quote:
This particular section also talks about lenses, bulbs and reflectors being marked in accordance with the Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. If there are no DOT/SAE/E code markings then NO, you can't use them.
I haven't changed anything that would fail the car in inspection

Quote:
For colour, the average vehicle is allowed red, yellow and white, and then only in the proper places. ANY OTHER COLOUR is illegal unless supported by a permit issued by ICBC or specifically mentioned in Division 4. Unless you are a police vehicle, you cannot have blue lights.
Thats the part, the car doesnt actually issue blue light like a police car, the headlight is still the same and still functions the same, just the parking blue LED is at the back of the headlight and just puts a blue tint in the headlight housing while the headlight still issues a xenon white light like every other car on the road, properly aimed, and not blinding anyone.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #5

If there is a blue light emitted (which it is, based on what you're saying, as it is visible), its not allowed unless your car is a police vehicle. If it makes it look blue when turned on, not allowed. Is it really that hard to grasp?
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
I am grateful grapefruit

Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
^
Well, I think those guys already face palmed you enough.

I'm actually more curious why you have this and why?
What does it accomplish?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Pics???
elcurto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

Why I have it is because it came on the car, Euro spec car with parking lights. You can put any T10 bulb in it, and it just gives off a tiny light which shines on the back of the head light assembly.

Its not hard to grasp but it doesnt seem like you understand what I'm saying, NO BLUE LIGHT is emitted onto the road surface as the headlights are on anyways, theres just a bluish tint in the headlight assembly. Its still a xenon light with just a light that is blue at the BACK of the headlight where the bulb is.

Range Rovers have more blue light emitted from their headlights than this, the projector lenses on them are more blue than my lights are....

I'd post a picture but I cant even pick it up with camera, it just looks white, if that helps you see how minor the blue is at the back of the headlight.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #10

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER LIGHT IS EMITTED ONTO THE ROAD OR NOT. IF IT IS NOT WHITE, YELLOW, OR RED, IT IS NOT LEGAL. IF THERE IS A DARK BLUE LED LIKE YOU SAY ANYWHERE ON THE VEHICLE, IT IS ILLEGAL. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW BRIGHT IT IS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg srs.jpg (19.8 KB, 0 views)
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
What car?
pics..
Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

So what you are saying is, you have those blue tinted halogen bulbs which you refer as "xenon bulbs" and they project a white light, yet when looking at the reflector housing is blue?
Or you mean there's a small LED or bulb at the back lighting up the housing blue?

Blue tinted "Xenon" halogen bulbs are illegal.

And Range Rover's HID light output is white. The blue is from the sharp cutoff from their HID projectors.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyGreenTea View Post
Or you mean there's a small LED or bulb at the back lighting up the housing blue?
He said there is a dark blue LED in the housing being used as a parking light. It can't be there, for it to be legal in Canada.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Whoops misread that.

"Demon eyes" is the term that he's looking for. Yes that's illegal.

Here's a pic (from google) in case you don't know what he's talking about. Just blue LED instead of red.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #15

Demon eyes are precisely what I meant, sorry. I didnt know the term for them. I wouldnt drive with the parking lights on because it just looks stupid and is illegal, but I cant turn them off when the headlights are on. So the lenses and the rear of the reflector assembly looks blue, exactly like the new Range Rovers.

The previous owner in Germany told me its internationally just illegal everywhere to use the parking lights while driving, so I understand that bit.

Theres no blue tinted halogen bulbs, no aftermarket HID garbage, everything is stock. I had my lights aimed and inspected and I was told its fine, but I wanted to make sure. I was told at the inspection, that driving with the parking lights is illegal, but because the lights meet standards I dont need to change them, I just dont wanna be hassled for no reason.

Reason I want to make sure is because, a friend of mine got a Skyline imported, and was extremely hassled over lighting and reflectors, I passed inspection even without reflectors, and no 3rd brake light? But my lights apparently meet DOT/SAE/E-Code standards and say it somewhere on them so its fine?

Last edited by rriggi; 07-21-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
So you wanted to have them glow when the car is off?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #17

No, it looks pointless, just making sure something like this wont give a rookie cop a reason to pull me over and harass me. No WV cops have said anything but ah well
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #18
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
As you have ignored numerous other posters here I'm sure you will ignore me also...but maybe if I type in bold print... any light that is not authorized is unauthorized and your LED blue light is unauthorized and illegal. Blue parking lights are not legal. Blue lights are restricted to Police use.

General lighting requirements

4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.

Just as a matter of note..."parking lights" are for the illumination of a parked vehicle unless they are also activated when the headlights are used during the required time of darkness. A vehicle parked roadside or in a parking lot is still on the "highway" and the lights are not legal, even if not switched on. The equipment is not approved as indicated above.

Last edited by zulutango; 07-21-2011 at 05:28 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
Its not hard to grasp but it doesnt seem like you understand what I'm saying, NO BLUE LIGHT is emitted onto the road surface
It's not hard to grasp, but it doesn't seem like you understand what everyone else here, including several officers, are saying: IT'S GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER THE BLUE LIGHT SHINES ON THE ROAD.

Just to be clear:
Quote:
emit [ɪˈmɪt]
vb emits, emitting, emitted (tr)
1. to give or send forth; discharge the pipe emitted a stream of water
2. to give voice to; utter she emitted a shrill scream
3. (Physics / General Physics) Physics to give off (radiation or particles)
If you can SEE the blue... then the fixture is EMITTING blue light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
....I just dont wanna get get pulled over for impersonating a police car or something. Is this okay?
Short answer is no. Argue the semantics of "emitting" all you want, but you CAN and eventually WILL get a ticket for the blue lights, and probably a VI as well. Simple as that. Easy fix: remove or disconnect the blue LED - problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #20

Thank you, thats all I needed to know. My only option then is to put different color in it as I'm just gonna get a bulb out warning.

I do understand what other people are saying, but half of them are talking to me as if I'm some kind of retard with a strobing blue police light who thinks its cool.

I discovered this whole thing when, I had to change out my fog lights, and during that process, I decided to look at the headlight bulbs and I noticed the wiring going to the back the assembly that contained a one blue LED, with the headlights on, I removed the LED from the housing and the only change was that the lens where the light is emitted from which is already blue, just goes a shade lighter...If that explains just how minor the change is, YES ITS STILL ILLEGAL I KNOW, but that's all it does and should help you gauge how minor the change is. If you don't own the car you wouldn't even know its there or not.

Only reason I asked, is because it got through inspection (while many other things shouldn't have apparently?) and is because the car allows you to just have the LED on if you choose, but its illegal and pointless.