REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #76
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Hey buddy, whether I waste my time or not is none of your concern. I think I very well know i did the wrong here. I'm taking a financial hit either way which I very well deserve. But I'd like to say that if I was wasted, that cop would definitely have put me in jail. I'm an N driver, male and young, if I was drunk by any means I would have spent a night in jail. Please don't tell me if you were caught in a situation like this you wouldn't try and find a way to "alleviate" the situation for yourself, if you wouldn't then your a saint, props to you. And just for the record, it was 2 beers I had an hour earlier.

As for the other posts, thanks for the helpful replies to this situation.
I only had 2 beers?

I have my N. My friends and boyfriend tease me mercilessly because I won't drink ANYTHING within 3-5 hours of driving and even THEN won't have more than a mouthful of wine if I'm the one driving. Do you know why? On the back of my license it says 0 alcohol tolerance and I NEED to drive to be able to maintain the life I have.

It doesn't matter if you had 1 beer, 2 beers, a mouthful of wine or a whole mickey or rum. 0 alcohol tolerance means 0.

Get a DD, stay where you are for the night (or at least for a few hours), learn to drink your beer within stumbling distance from home, take a bloody cab (and don't bitch about the price cause it's sure as hell cheaper then what you are paying for this). Zero means Zero alcohol can be present in your blood or body while you're driving.
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #77
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupMKIV View Post
Thanks for the response. Yeah I don't plan to be like a delivery boy for a company or something. Just like say policing would it affect that? Or just like say being a driver for a company like Lordco? Anyone else care to chime in?

Thanks
well, you must be young to think that Vehicle = Delivery...

Im talking more like a service vehicle kinda thing where you work in a field and meet different customer on daily basis ..

examples as City of vancouver, BC hydro...etc.

or companies that does renovation from construction worker or to sales rep or even estimator ..

im not saying driving record has full influence on finding a job, but it limits your chances
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #78
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
When u get a dui, u have to pay the drivers risk premium. (DRP). Which is $905 everyyear for the next 3 years. $2715, plus other fees like getting the ignition lock calibrated everymonth which apparently cost about $100 everymonth
Posted via RS Mobile
oh I was unaware of this... so, even if the insurance is not under my name, I would still have to pay the DRP?

nvm, just read it. I am honestly appalled at how blatant ICBC is at taking our money. When I first received notice that I was required to do the ignition interlock, I called them and asked "Would it be possible for an alternative, such as, not driving for a year?". The woman said "No, even after when you apply for your license, you will still be required to get it installed.". Clearly they are more interested in the money, rather than keeping the roads safe.

The way they should assess these suspensions needs to be changed. The driver's abstract should definitely be reviewed before laying down what needs to be done.

Last edited by jonwon; 07-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.
jonwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #79
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Same thing happened to me </3.

They just sent me a letter saying i have to get that Driver ignition interlock device for a 12month period. This is straight up bullshit.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #80
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Straight up bs? You're the idiot who drank and drove. You deserve what you got..

Congrats on being a dumbass and thanks for the entertainment!
Posted via RS Mobile
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #81
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[quote=TheNewGirl;7526281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

It's actually against the law to refuse to provide a sample. If you do so you will be informed that you are accepting the full consequences of being fully intoxicated while driving, you will receive a suspension, you will get your car towed, you will be just as fucked.

They have increased the laws over the last year or so to close a lot of the loop holes here and I've asked a few lawyers and police officers. Not one of them has ever been able to think up a benefit to refusing and it's not an allowable defense in court any longer.
The only benifit to refusing is to the Police. A Crown Council report for refusal and subsequent trial takes only a fraction of time to do when compared with a full trial with readings etc..
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #82
I subscribe to Revscene

If you fail at the roadside on an ASD, are you allowed to request verification on the datamaster or are you convicted and sentenced on the spot with no chance of providing a sample on a more accurate machine?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #83
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwon View Post
oh I was unaware of this... so, even if the insurance is not under my name, I would still have to pay the DRP?

nvm, just read it. I am honestly appalled at how blatant ICBC is at taking our money. When I first received notice that I was required to do the ignition interlock, I called them and asked "Would it be possible for an alternative, such as, not driving for a year?". The woman said "No, even after when you apply for your license, you will still be required to get it installed.". Clearly they are more interested in the money, rather than keeping the roads safe.

The way they should assess these suspensions needs to be changed. The driver's abstract should definitely be reviewed before laying down what needs to be done.
No it doesn't need to be changed at all. You drink you drive you may 'potentially' hurt or kill someone. A mother, father, son, daughter. They lose that their miserable for life, you get caught you lose a couple grand and stuck doing shit like breathing through a breathalyzer for a year. Money comes and goes, but you kill them they're 6 foot under forever.

You can think oh I've only had a beer I'm fine, you probably are fine even in my opinion. But with that lenient attitude, you'll start to think oh just 4 shots I'm fine. Then eventually your hammered buddies need to get home too so you pull a hero, or that drunk chick that wants to get back to your place. She's not worth the consequences.

This is coming from someone who's suffered the suspension and on the probation from excessive speeding 98 on a 50. Someone who rides stupid fast on a sportsbike. It's not just being smart, it's being mature. If you do something wrong, don't bitch about the consequences, don't be a girl.
Posted via RS Mobile
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #84
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
How is voluntarily suspending myself from driving for a year being a girl? No ones bitching. I'm just pointing out that the new laws are simply a cash grab.
jonwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #85
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Funny how people don't care until they get caught... glad my family doesnt share the road with you...
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #86

Yeah, it's all fun and games til they get caught. Or Simnut's kid.

Only then is it unfair...
Old 07-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #87
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Yeah, it's all fun and games til they get caught. Or Simnut's kid.

Only then is it unfair...
Hehehe...you read and understand about as good as sebberry...no, actually I'm starting to think he TRIES to comprehend conversation.....I'm thinking your skull is just a "wee" bit too thick! You know what.....I don't expect a person of your mentality to figure it out anyways. I sure your hope you don't affect too many people in your "critical debrief" career......it think it takes a person with a little more understanding. So...only one thing I can say.....
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #88

Hey, I just call it as I see it. I'm sure other people here see it too, they're just not as e-thuggin' as I am.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #89
...on a mission....

Quote:
Hey, I just call it as I see it. I'm sure other people here see it too, they're just not as e-thuggin' as I am.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.........................
Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #90
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
LOL......

sorry bauss

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #91
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwon View Post
How is voluntarily suspending myself from driving for a year being a girl? No ones bitching. I'm just pointing out that the new laws are simply a cash grab.
Maybe because getting bitchslapped in the wallet is the only thing that most people seem to understand?

Live within the rules... you won't have to worry about it.

Better yet, if everyone lived within the rules, we'd ALL pay less - fewer payouts means lower premiums for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #92
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Maybe because getting bitchslapped in the wallet is the only thing that most people seem to understand?

Better yet, if everyone lived within the rules, we'd ALL pay less - fewer payouts means lower premiums for everyone.
I fully agree, you do the "crime", you do the "time"....BUT...

What if the rules are being bent by the province and officers to benefit THEIR side of the issue...how do we know where we stand as civilians? Laws only work if they are followed...to the letter of the law...as any court would say. The trouble with the new penalties is that they've tried to remove the "courts" from the process and made the police and the superintendent of motor vehicles the judge and jury. Keeping this in mind....I...a lowly citizen...have had to correct the OSMV in regards to the 12 hour suspension and how it is applied. You want that office to decide major issues?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #93
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
I guess you're a lightweight
Posted via RS Mobile
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #94
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
I fully agree, you do the "crime", you do the "time"....BUT...

What if the rules are being bent by the province and officers to benefit THEIR side of the issue...how do we know where we stand as civilians? Laws only work if they are followed...to the letter of the law...as any court would say. The trouble with the new penalties is that they've tried to remove the "courts" from the process and made the police and the superintendent of motor vehicles the judge and jury. Keeping this in mind....I...a lowly citizen...have had to correct the OSMV in regards to the 12 hour suspension and how it is applied. You want that office to decide major issues?
Funny, if I say the same thing about impounds for excessive speeding you'd come back and say it served the speeder right for going too fast.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #95
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

People tend to cry about losing money but guess what... in the end its just money something that can be earned all your life.

But it really will hit them when they lose a love one or a friend to this. But guess what I don't wish this on ANYONE, I have been through that and its fucking hell.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #96
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Funny, if I say the same thing about impounds for excessive speeding you'd come back and say it served the speeder right for going too fast.
Ummm....nope!

I'll give you an example......

Have you ever read the back of a 24 hour notice? This is what it says....something you, the driver, gets to read AFTER you are served a 24 hour notice based on OBSERVATION alone:

“If a blood alcohol test was NOT administered and was not a basis for serving this notice, you have the RIGHT to forthwith request a test to determine your blood level.In the event the test indicates that your blood alcohol level does not exceed 50 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, the prohibition from driving is terminated. The prohibition will not appear on your driving record and you will be allowed to drive.”

Now, this is INFORMATION that an officer is giving you...as your right that is involved with a 24 hour prohibition. Do you see what I have underlined???? Tell me......HOW does this work with a Novice driver? A novice driver is NOT allowed to drive with any BAC.........so.....that information is incorrect for novice drivers...information that is PART of the MVA, section 215. IF that part can not be honored....how can section 215 be applied at all?

I am trying to make this as simple as I can. Section 215 was written way before the GLP came into affect...was not written for or not even amended for use towards Novice drivers. Section 90.3 was! But yet, novice drivers are still getting 24 hour prohibitions based on OBSERVATION alone! THAT IS MY ISSUE WITH THESE TWO SECTIONS!!!! A novice driver is being offered a right (by law according to sectionn 215) but it doesn't apply!!!! How does that work?

I am sick and tired of people thinking I'm trying to get someone off...or I'm RANTING because my son was issued a 24 hour prohibition. THIS IS NOT THE CASE PEOPLE!!!!! During my research of these two sections, 215 and 90.3, I've found discrepancies........a blatant disregard of a part of a section in the MVA.....an RIGHT a person is OFFERED, but CANNOT use. THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

Last edited by Simnut; 08-01-2011 at 02:02 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #97
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Sorry, didn't want to make a new thread,

Friend was driving company car while drunk. Pulled over, blew a FAIL

Got slapped with 3 month suspension on license and 30 day impoundment. How can the company (who are family) go about getting their car back WITHOUT installing the interlock breathalyzer device? The car is not primarily driven by my friend, there is another car in the family that my friend mainly drives. Can he get the interlock device installed on the car he mainly drives instead?
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #98
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

He will have to have an interlock device on any car he drives otherwise he's not allowed to drive it. It will be a restriction of his driver's licence.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #99
I subscribe to Revscene

I've been reading lots of reports of problems with the interlock devices throwing false positives, etc..

I can't see how safety is improved when the driver is forced to blow at random while driving - fumbling for the device to blow while driving on a busy road can't be safe, is it?

Having your car shut off in the middle of the road because it recorded a false positive can't be safe, can it?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #100
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Ok, one more question,

the only reason my friend got pulled over is because someone called in saying they saw a car speeding and driving erratically. Is it possible that my friend will be convicted of driving without due care, or something else based solely on another person's calling in? And for the 1 year that my friend has to drive with an interlock device, that 1 year begins after the 3 month suspension? Lastly, if my friend is caught operating a vehicle soberly, but without an interlock device within that 1 year period, what kind of penalties can my friend face?

Thanks a bunch guys. The owner of the vehicle has a hearing with ICBC in a week or so to see if they can get the vehicle back early.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote