REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i went wit full size suv cause it looks nicer and it has more luxury features. i would never buy a minivan. also, once i fold down my seats, i can put in a xl metal cage for my two pitties and also still have room for 2 adults to sit comfortably in the back.

i own a gas guzzling qx56. higher up, you do see a better view and also parallel parking i find easy, as i do have my rear view camera/parking sensors to assist me and you gotta love the 4wd ridin on bigger rims. i also like muscle roaring v8 sound, so i think it would be pretty weird to put a intake/exhaust on a minivan...
Advertisement
Dragon_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #27
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

some how this comes to mind right away when threads asking for advice comes up
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Why do two kids need 5 seats? Why isn't a sedan enough? 3 kids I understand cause the fights over the window seats are worth avoiding
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #29
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
Why do two kids need 5 seats? Why isn't a sedan enough? 3 kids I understand cause the fights over the window seats are worth avoiding
That has crossed my mind... but with 2 children, and childseats installed in the back seat that would eliminate any seating for the rear, leaving with just 2 seats for yourself and the wife. Leaves no space or room to take the grandparents to family outings or vacation. Or even space to take a friend or another child to the mall, parks, etc.
With a 7 passenger seating, 1 car seat can go the rear, and 1 to the second row leaving seating for another 2 passengers.
Reading what people have said in this thread, it comes down to if you will sacrifice praticality for the negative image that is portrayed with a minivan.

Last edited by hillmar; 07-24-2011 at 09:51 AM.
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

What hillmar said. Child seats have become so big, especially rear facing seats, that there is very little room for anyone else (or anything else for that matter) in a 5 passenger sedan. Once they are in booster seats or out of seats in general, a sedan is more than adequate.

I don't get the image thing though...when I see someone struggling to fit an infant or baby into their SUV at the mall, I don't think they're cool. I have a few friends who are onto their second child now and they all moved from their CUV/SUVs to a minivan or at the smallest, a Mazda5. You're raising a family, not trolling down Robson.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
RS controls my life!

Have you looked at the Kia Sorento? Comes available with 3rd row.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Buy the minivan rent the 4wd SUV when u need it. Or you could be nig rich buy the suv and some 30 inch rims and feed your kids off the 99 cent menu. Just so you can have your "looks".
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #33
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

So the roar of the v8 reminds you of how much gas your sucking down pushing your sofa on wheels around? Or do you really think your fooling anyone into thinking your suv sounds like it's "FAST"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_27 View Post
i own a gas guzzling qx56. higher up, you do see a better view and also parallel parking i find easy, as i do have my rear view camera/parking sensors to assist me and you gotta love the 4wd ridin on bigger rims. i also like muscle roaring v8 sound, so i think it would be pretty weird to put a intake/exhaust on a minivan...
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #34
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
have an uncle that just bought a 06 quest. came with a rear dvd player for kids.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Toyota Sienna would be my choice. SUV is a pain in the ass with the kids. Sliding doors are the best, especially knowing that the kids won't ding anyone else's door by opening them. I would feel safer trotting kids around in a Van than in a Car. I also find some people tend to back off a little bit when driving around a Van as well, because they often know there are kids in them. My observations anyway.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #36
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
2011 Honda Odyssey Touring
That's what I bought this year, after pouring over the data of every quality minivan on the market, and test driving a couple of the smaller 6-7 passenger SUV's on the lots. In the end, we stuck with the van. I have three kids between 6-8 years old and the minivan fits our lifestyle well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
Sliding doors are the best, especially knowing that the kids won't ding anyone else's door by opening them. I would feel safer trotting kids around in a Van than in a Car. I also find some people tend to back off a little bit when driving around a Van as well, because they often know there are kids in them. My observations anyway.
You sir, have keen observational skills.
I have my 20g STi, 2010 modded Tundra and 67' Beaumont to get my performance rocks off. When I'm driving the Odyssey, it's right lane, A/C on, easy cruising with XM satellite radio and drinks in the "cool box".
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Hmm... this thread is an eye-opener. Most of the pros/cons have been covered already.

I have 1 kid (with plans to have 1 more), and a 2005 Honda Pilot. I always thought it was "cooler" to drive a SUV as opposed to a minivan, but eliminating the risk of my kids dinging other people's doors is an attractive feature.

Some day down the road, I predict that I will switch over to an Odyssey...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #38
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

hiace anyone?

Seriously, if I were to by a brand new family hauler, it would be the mercedes e350 wagon. awd, seats 5 like the sedan and has 2 rear facing seats for 7 people total.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #39
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts

The new Sienna SE is pretty good looking IMO.

3.5L 266hp, with optional 4wd.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I would feel safer trotting kids around in a Van than in a Car.
Minivans are notoriously unsafe.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #41
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^

y is that
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #42
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
As others have mentioned already, a minivan is a far superior vehicle for hauling kids, espeically when compared to an SUV. Yes, both types of vehicles have stigmas and stereotypes attached to them, but once you have kids and realize the benefits of a van, you'll start to care less about what other people may think of a van. Apart from the ease of loading kids that are in baby seats, they're far easier when you're trying to load strollers and bags of crap (er, I mean kids toys). Plus while you may think that because you and your SO only have one or two kids that you don't need a third row... well, what happens when your kids want to hang out with their friends and maybe go to Chucky Cheese or Castle Fun Park? Suddenly that five seater doesn't work.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #43
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
Minivans are notoriously unsafe.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #44
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Plus while you may think that because you and your SO only have one or two kids that you don't need a third row... well, what happens when your kids want to hang out with their friends and maybe go to Chucky Cheese or Castle Fun Park? Suddenly that five seater doesn't work.
Noise control and you don't want your kids' friends parents finding out how hard mom can throw a shoe from the front seat....wait a sec....

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #45
I don't get it

Just get both! I have a Toyota Sienna (wife's) and a Toyota Highlander (mine) with same engines ~268HP 3.5L V6.

We use the Minivan for most family trips (Camping, Road Trips South/East). The Minivan is much more roomy and practical for my two daughters (4yo and 2yo), plus it can load gear like crazy and there is room for Grandparents/Cousins.

I drive the SUV (mid-size) as my daily-driver and also around town. I like the 4WD too. Third-row goes up & down when necessary but definitely does not hold cargo like the Minivan.
Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #46
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
This?

124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #47
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I was in the same situation last summer.
I have 2 kids and I opted to get an MDX.
First a van wasn't an option for me as the wife did not want a van.
I looked at the cx-9, highlander, mdx and venza.
my top choices were cx-9 and mdx. In the end I felt the MDX was bit of higher quality than the CX-9.
The CX-9 had great seating arrangement though as you can slide the 2nd row and get in from either side.
btw, if you are looking for car seats, I highly suggest you look at the Sunshine kids seats. they are a bit more compact and you can use them both backward and rearward facing. I switched from a Graco Nautilus to a Sunshine kids car seat. It is a bit more expensive but that extra hip room is worth it.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #48
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Nobodys wife wants to be seen in a minivan these days like theyre too good for it.

I personally would have no problem rolling around in an odyssey touring, they are really nice minivans, and pretty damn FAST too.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #49
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

have you considered volvo xc60?
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #50
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
dodge journey? can probably get some good discounts and they're not expensive to begin with. A little old though
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote