REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Question regards to Acura TSX 'Check Emission System' (https://www.revscene.net/forums/650594-question-regards-acura-tsx-check-emission-system.html)

isedera 07-28-2011 11:11 AM

Question regards to Acura TSX 'Check Emission System'

Hi, I have Acura TSX and I already drove about 125,000Km.

On Monday I was driving down 91 Hwy and suddenly 'Check Emission System' & 'Check VSA System' light came up. I wasn't able to raise my RPM above around 4000. If my RPM is around 3,000~4,000 my car was choking. (gives 2 farts from the back.) So, went to my work and turned off the engine. Even I restart the engine, it still gives me 'Emission' light but no VSA light.

I asked my friend and he said it could be the spark plugs, so he did replace it for me. My friend said I have a small crack at some of the spark plugs which can cause a big trouble to my engine.

After replacing the plugs, it seem it was Ok. I tried to raise my RPM and it was working fine. but yesterday, I wasn't driving fast or raising the RPM at all but this Emission & VSA light came up again.

Does anyone know what's the problem?

I gotta tell few more details:

1. I didnt change my engine oil for a long time. It passed over 4,000 atm. Could there be something to do with the engine oil filter or engine oil? ( yeh I know, I'll do an oil change very soon.) My car is not lacking with engine oil. I did check it and it's a bit more than enuf. (which I topped over long time ago)

2. Since my car is old and lack of money, I started to use regular oils starting from this year. I hardly doubt this is the problem but if I'm wrong, correct me please.

jaemc 07-28-2011 01:59 PM

Come bring it in to Burrard Acura n come find me I'll get it scanned for you for free!

isedera 07-28-2011 02:03 PM

Thanks for the offer Jaemc, but can you kind of tell me what's wrong with this?

jaemc 07-28-2011 02:17 PM

The VSA light usually gets triggered by the Check Emissions light. The VSA light being on could be the thing preventing you to rev above 3-4000RPM.

As for finding out your specific problem you've gotta bring it down here for me to help you out.

isedera 07-28-2011 02:27 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I'll drop by someday.

geeknerd 07-28-2011 02:45 PM

Someday? Lol if it was me id take up the free offer and go today.tmrw unfixed car problems can only get worse :(

jaemc 07-28-2011 02:47 PM

^ Agreed :) Our latest appointments are at 3PM. When you drop by come find me (Jaemc) and just say you're from revscene.

inkcognito 07-29-2011 06:02 AM

is that a common problem with the tsx's?

jaemc 07-29-2011 08:23 AM

Nopes it isn't common for the TSX's. The most common problem for that year TSX is probably the center console lights dimming but there's a warranty extension regarding that issue.

syee 07-30-2011 11:26 PM

The car could be in limp mode. It did that with my TSX when I had rodents chew through the wiring for my transmission. It wouldn't shift past 1st gear and I had the VSA and CEL light on.

I'd take up jaemc's offer to scan the OBD and see what's causing the problem. At least it will be easier to give a diagnosis that way. It's almost impossible to tell based on your description.

Phil@rise 08-05-2011 11:16 AM

Check emissions warnings could that not be a loose or missing gas cap.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 04-30-2016 10:21 PM

I just got a check emission system light on a 2006 TSX with 118,000 KM, I just checked the gas cap and tighten till clicked, what other solutions are there? please help thanks.

syee 04-30-2016 10:24 PM

Even if it is your gas cap loose, it takes a little while for it to clear. Like mentioned previously, find someone with an OBD scanner and get the code read to get more info.

souldrunk 06-08-2016 09:10 PM

Got the same issue, check emission light came on. Car is struggling to Rev. Anyone know?

2006 Acura TSX at 152000km

syee 06-08-2016 09:26 PM

Is it just the CEL on or is the dash lit up like a Christmas tree?
Either way, like advised in the past, get someone to read the code to find out for sure.

souldrunk 06-08-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 8762312)
Is it just the CEL on or is the dash lit up like a Christmas tree?
Either way, like advised in the past, get someone to read the code to find out for sure.

Just the check emission light is on, car is shaky and struggles when I rev.

I probably will get it checked, not too keen on bringing it to the dealership though. They couldn't resolve an issue I had before and still paid them for resetting other codes... Ugh guess I'll take the hit anyways lol

syee 06-09-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by souldrunk (Post 8762328)
Just the check emission light is on, car is shaky and struggles when I rev.

I probably will get it checked, not too keen on bringing it to the dealership though. They couldn't resolve an issue I had before and still paid them for resetting other codes... Ugh guess I'll take the hit anyways lol

Any competent mechanic will have an OBDII reader. You could also head out to Princess Auto or CT and pick one up for pretty cheap if you just want to see what the code is.

skidz 06-13-2016 06:25 PM

my guess is the o2 sensor

DSM 99 07-12-2016 09:52 PM

have you checked the air in your tires lately ? i've heard that a low tire pressure can cause the VSA light to illuminate. but in this case I would suspect a dirty MAF and or throttle body , or a faulty APP sensor .