REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Everything about Hawaii (Oahu) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/650902-everything-about-hawaii-oahu.html)

boibuddha 07-18-2015 07:31 AM

Definitely book in advance. If you decide to go to the Polynesian Cultural Centre, book at least TWO days in advance because they fill up fast and I don't think they allow walk-ins.

I recommend going snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, it's a great experience. The wildlife has been conditioned to seeing people, they swim all around you with no f***s given.

If you're looking for a something free, check out the Pearl Harbor Memorial. They tell you both sides of the story and explain why the Japanese attacked without being filled with American propaganda.

The Diamondhead Hike is also free with a great view of the south side of the island. It's hot up there though, I went in February and I was melting. It's roughly a 45 minute hike (for reference, I do the Grouse Grind ~1hr)

beatdownvictim 07-18-2015 09:17 AM

Usually if I do day rentals I just rent from hertz they got locations at imperial Waikiki and Hyatt

God I hate jeep patriots got stuck with one last time and can understand why its such a POS

hamsup 07-19-2015 07:37 AM

There is a car rental place in King's Court plaza... i think its an enterprise or a national car rental...

fliptuner 07-19-2015 09:48 AM

Don't forget, a lot of hotels charge an additional fee for overnight parking

yray 07-19-2015 03:06 PM

Alamo is the cheaper branch of enterprise. Don't bother with Camaro convertibles, hawaii is where all the last gen convertible mustangs go to die.

racerman88 07-26-2015 07:55 AM

If you need cheaper parking, check out the Banyan parkade. It was at least $10 cheaper when I was there last year. It was convenient b/c it was down the street from our hotel as well. It is located on the east end of Waikiki.

noclue 07-26-2015 02:37 PM

There is free overnight parking near the zoo. I parked there with my rental car, you have to be out by 8-9am though. Pro tip, don't rent a wrangler cause the spare tire in the back of the jeep does not have a lock thus easy to steal. Less thing to worry about.

dat_steve 08-12-2015 07:49 AM

going to be in waikiki next month! staying in the hyatt on the strip. any recommendations for hikes/trails? (did diamond head last time already)

JesseBlue 08-12-2015 04:37 PM

Hike at the beach...nice scenery

Retrac 08-12-2015 04:46 PM

Koko head trail, it was brutal for me but well worth it.

fliptuner 08-12-2015 04:47 PM

Manoa Falls trail is just North of Waikiki. Just a bit farther and you can check out:

Kaniakapupu Ruins

beatdownvictim 08-12-2015 10:49 PM

Any feedback on the red eye flights back to Vancouver? What did u do during the day since you would need to check out of ur hotel but flight doesn't leave till 10pm
Got 2 small kids in tow ugh

dat_steve 08-13-2015 08:35 AM

most hotels will let you leave your luggage with them for the day. you can hop on the trolley to take you to ala moana and blow a few hours there shopping, eating, and the kids would probably like the arcade.

beatdownvictim 08-13-2015 11:07 AM

unfortunately they're 2 and a half and 8 months lol dont think they'd enjoy the arcade doh
may just buy a lounge pass and go to airport earlier i guess

Ch28 08-13-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatdownvictim (Post 8670281)
Any feedback on the red eye flights back to Vancouver? What did u do during the day since you would need to check out of ur hotel but flight doesn't leave till 10pm
Got 2 small kids in tow ugh

Took a red eye back to Vancouver via Seattle last time and we just left our luggage at the bellman's desk when we checked out. Told them when we'd be back to pick it up and they gave us our tags and that was it. I personally love taking red eye flights back home because you basically have the rest of the day to do whatever you want.

yray 08-13-2015 11:32 PM

Leave a tad early incase of traffic jam on the H1 which is guaranteed. Smart taxi driver would take Ala Moana blvd instead but you never know.

m3thods 08-14-2015 11:35 AM

Some hotels offer a room to freshen up for free before heading to the airport for red-eyes, so inquire with the front desk. I used this at the now-defunct Ohana Waikiki West, but the last hotel I stayed at didn't offer it (Aqua Waikiki Wave).

Personally if your kids are that young I'd go to the airport early and just relax. Your 2yo might be bored but there are some open air sightlines to planes that they can hopefully burn a few hours looking at.

racerman88 08-14-2015 12:39 PM

Hyatt Place offers the use of a room.

beatdownvictim 08-14-2015 10:45 PM

Decided to just book a extra day for the hotel and leave for airport at 7pm
Wasn't that much more for the extra day.
We r staying at the Wyndham beach walk last time they let us use a room for an hour
Great place for families!

JesseBlue 08-22-2015 08:45 AM

The room that is mentioned is called the hospitality room. Usually a 1-2 hour use.

keifun 08-23-2015 01:28 PM

I'm heading there for my honeymoon in late november

Staying at the moana surfrider on our last couple nights but our first 3 nights are still open.
Any recommendations?

Also thinking about renting a car for one day to do all the attractions that req a car to get there. Any ideas?

Thanks.

beatdownvictim 08-23-2015 02:23 PM

Definitely rent a car
Hit up Kailua or lanikai or head up to north shore and get eat some ono grindz brah around the island

No real recommendations from me since I like the quieter side of Waikiki I'm like a pseudo old man :(
3 weeks to go

dat_steve 08-24-2015 08:15 AM

anyone worried about the Tropical Storm(s) in the area? i've got three weeks or so before i go and i'd really hate to be rain/stormed/rainstormed out

beatdownvictim 08-24-2015 03:27 PM

eh never thought about it or concerned.. we're going around the same time there is going to be a block party on the 19th in waikiki!

dat_steve 08-26-2015 12:25 PM

Sewage system flooded around ala moana beach

http://www.weather.com/safety/floods...-spill-waikiki

hopefully none of you are there now/will be there in the next week or so