REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,024 Posts
New Kia Forte5?

Hello, just wondering if anyone here owns or have any experience with the new Kia Forte5? My brother is looking at a new car and its currently a toss between a Mazda3 GS or Kia Forte5 EX.

With the promotion going on at Mazda they are roughly within $1000 between the two cars. To me Mazda is a more established brand though Kia has been doing pretty good lately, plus they have better/more features for the price. We would love to wait a year for Sky-Activ stuff from Mazda but we need the car in the next 2 months or so.

Also another suggestion for hatchbacks around $23-25k, new, after tax?

Thanks.
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
just got the Elantra Touring GL $20k after taxes.. got it on the 0% for 84months.
very roomy.. not bad car so far.. price is decent... this promo is over now...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
i would get a elantra sedan....those things are nice.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
my boss got a forte5 a couple of months back and likes it. doesn't look too bad. i don't remember why he chose it over the mazda3 though.

ever thought about the ford focus hatchback?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
i would get a elantra sedan....those things are nice.
He wants a hatchback, and only a hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
my boss got a forte5 a couple of months back and likes it. doesn't look too bad. i don't remember why he chose it over the mazda3 though.

ever thought about the ford focus hatchback?
Mazda3 list price is 3k more, maybe that's why, but they are doing a promotion right now which closes the gap.

We did look at the Focus, but a higher price and higher interest rate makes the monthly payments significantly higher than the Mazda3 or the Forte5. Coupled with skepticism about the longevity of the DCT gearbox, we passed on it.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
buy it cash and you can get a better deal generally. plus you won't get hit by interest rate, just an immediately depreciated asset.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'd try to do a short-term lease take over on say, a Mini cooper/civic, and then pick up one of these bad boys.. (It's supposed to come with either the Sky-G or Sky-D diesel engine in North America)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoderncultureo View Post

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
buy it cash and you can get a better deal generally. plus you won't get hit by interest rate, just an immediately depreciated asset.
That I understand, but he doesn't have 20k to put out on the car hence why low interest finance is attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
I'd try to do a short-term lease take over on say, a Mini cooper/civic, and then pick up one of these bad boys.. (It's supposed to come with either the Sky-G or Sky-D diesel engine in North America)
I know about the CX-5, I like it a lot, but we are avoiding SUV/CUVs (pointless) and I don't think the CX-5 is going to come under 30k new.

On top of that, my parents are basically letting him take the family surplus minivan to trade in for a new car.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^The CX5 is basically a raised Mazda3/5. It's almost like a RVR (a taller Lancer). I would think it's fair to think the base FWD model to start at around 21-22k. It's one class smaller than the CX7, and that car starts at $28k with the 2.5 I4 GX model (the 2.3 Turbo is no longer standard, but the GX is at least $5-6k cheaper)

I like the styling of the Kia, but their suspension damping is really horrible compared to even a Corolla. Also, I dont think they've updated the 2.0 engine on the new batch of Kias yet (the engine is quite coarse sounding.) I would lean towards a Mazda 3 GX hatch over a comparable Kia based on the ride quality and resale value alone.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

As an aside, I noticed Nissan is offering the Rogue at 0% financing on up to 84 months (Nissan Canada - Buying - Nissan Finance). I believe MSRP is about 25K, so if your brother likes it, it might be worth checking out.

All we know is, I'm called The Stig
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #11

^ The CX5 possible consideration then. We did try out the RVR, nice car, but terribly slow, and expensive imo.

Interesting about the engine on the Kia, are they still running the 2.0/2.4 "world engine" without DI in it? I was expecting the Kia to be quite stiff as I had a Elantra Touring as a loaner for 2 weeks and it was stiff as hell. The old engine was ok in the Elantra, gas pedal was more of a volume control than acceleration control lol.

We went to test drive the Mazda3, my brother likes it a lot. Coming from a Caravan, I don't think any small car would be disappointing. He also tried out the Focus and actually likes it better, but didn't believe the extra "niceness" was worth the 4% finance rate.

EDIT: TheStig posted while I was typing this.... But the Rogue. Isn't it a little on the big side? If anything we would be more interested in the Juke, which.... costs too much.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I am 100% biased when I say this, but Honda Fit! Traded in my IS in December and have absolutely no regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote