REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   72 Hour Suspension (https://www.revscene.net/forums/651176-72-hour-suspension.html)

91LS-VTak 08-07-2011 02:13 PM

72 Hour Suspension

I blew a warning and got a 72-hour suspension. This happened Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2am. When can i get my license and car back? Wednesday afternoon or Thursday?

XplicitLuder 08-07-2011 03:29 PM

tsk tsk tsk :nono: , dont feel like doing the math to find out LOL so just call in wednesday and ask ? If you get it then, good. If not, then you know its thursday :troll:

91LS-VTak 08-07-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBruegmann (Post 7537466)
tsk tsk tsk :nono: , dont feel like doing the math to find out LOL so just call in wednesday and ask ? If you get it then, good. If not, then you know its thursday :troll:

LOL, there's no "math" involved. 72 hours is 3 days so that means Wednesday at 2am my car and license should be available. But I thought I saw a post that said your license is suspended for 3 COMPLETE days, so technically the day that you get suspended on doesn't count towards that 72 hour period. In my case, that would mean i could get my car Thursday.

ninjatune 08-08-2011 03:35 AM

Thursday it is... Depending on the tow company, you'll have to wait for business hours to pick up your vehicle. Thursday you can also attend driver services to pay for a new license.

TheNewGirl 08-08-2011 07:45 AM

According to the RCMP, the day you get your suspension doesn't count. So it's 3 full days after that.

sho_bc 08-08-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatune (Post 7538032)
Thursday it is... Depending on the tow company, you'll have to wait for business hours to pick up your vehicle. Thursday you can also attend driver services to pay for a new license.

And if the vehicle is yours, you won't be able to pick it up yourself without showing you have a licence if they allow a 12:01am pick-up, so bring a friend to drive away. And remember that until you go and get your new licence, you are an unlicenced driver even though the suspension is over.

Simnut 08-08-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7538219)
And if the vehicle is yours, you won't be able to pick it up yourself without showing you have a licence if they allow a 12:01am pick-up, so bring a friend to drive away. And remember that until you go and get your new licence, you are an unlicenced driver even though the suspension is over.

Well, technically, you DO have a license. It is not suspended.....you are just prohibited from driving. You do not go get a new license..you just get your existing license back. There is a difference between suspension and prohibition. Suspension.....is like NOT having a license..it isn't valid to "use". Prohibition means you are prohibited from.....like prohibited from driving in this case for the 72 hours....a difference. You may get a VT if you get stopped and you don't have your license ON you AFTER your prohibition...but it won't be a VT for driving will suspended. But, wise advise...take a friend with you if you don't physically have your license on you. :fullofwin:

sho_bc 08-08-2011 10:03 AM

Incorrect. You lose your licence during the 3-day suspension (you are prohibited from driving during that time). In order to become re-licenced, you have to go and renew your licence/get a new one. Any time you are prohibited from driving, once that prohibition ends, you are unlicenced until you attend a Licencing Center, pay the fees for a new licence and get that piece of yellow paper that is the Temporary Drivers Licence.

With the 24hr suspension, you are still licenced once that 24hr period is over. Not the case with the IRP.

sho_bc 08-08-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simnut (Post 7538232)
Well, technically, you DO have a license. It is not suspended.....you are just prohibited from driving. You do not go get a new license..you just get your existing license back. There is a difference between suspension and prohibition. Suspension.....is like NOT having a license..it isn't valid to "use". Prohibition means you are prohibited from.....like prohibited from driving in this case for the 72 hours....a difference. You may get a VT if you get stopped and you don't have your license ON you AFTER your prohibition...but it won't be a VT for driving will suspended. But, wise advise...take a friend with you if you don't physically have your license on you. :fullofwin:

To save yourself $276, do not listen to this. With the Immediate Roadside Prohibition, which you received, we return your licence (the actual piece of plastic) to Victoria, to the OSMV. You are required to go to an ICBC licencing center and pay the re-instatement fee to have your licence re-instated

Simnut 08-08-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7538241)
Incorrect. You lose your licence during the 3-day suspension (you are prohibited from driving during that time). In order to become re-licenced, you have to go and renew your licence/get a new one. Any time you are prohibited from driving, once that prohibition ends, you are unlicenced until you attend a Licencing Center, pay the fees for a new licence and get that piece of yellow paper that is the Temporary Drivers Licence.

With the 24hr suspension, you are still licenced once that 24hr period is over. Not the case with the IRP.

Point taken and I stand corrected. :)

It's funny, in their fact sheet....the Solicitor General uses the term "suspension" of the license when talking about the IRP's, which in my mind is the correct term and explains what you have said. The MVA uses the term "prohibition" when talking about the IRP's and the two terms DO mean different "things". Immediate Roadside Prohibitions are essentially suspensions, and the Automatic Roadside Driving Prohibitions (which the 24 hour prohibition falls into)are just that...driving prohibitions, right?

sho_bc 08-08-2011 10:35 AM

Just trying to save the spread of mis-information.

Once ticketed for "No Drivers Licence", your licence file/record gets flagged and you become a Vehicle Impound candidate until you pay off fees/fines. If caught driving again while flagged as such, you deal with another impound, another No DL ticket and a driving prohibition served on the spot. If caught driving again without having sorted all this out yet, there is another impound, another No DL ticket and charges for Driving While Prohibited.
Posted via RS Mobile