REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
91LS-VTak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: richmond
Posts: 3,009
Thanked 82 Times in 29 Posts
72 Hour Suspension

I blew a warning and got a 72-hour suspension. This happened Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2am. When can i get my license and car back? Wednesday afternoon or Thursday?
Advertisement
__________________
Brickyard '03 350z

Roll That Shit, Light That Shit, Smoke That Shit!

Quote:
(told to me by the stupidest person in the world)...
'Yeah, i've been to taco time before, but i got in trouble...I had a Mexican girlfriend who wanted to go to a mexican restaurant for our anniversery, so i took her to Taco Time"
91LS-VTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Throw yo paws in da air!
 
XplicitLuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State of Trance
Posts: 5,035
Thanked 2,721 Times in 934 Posts
tsk tsk tsk , dont feel like doing the math to find out LOL so just call in wednesday and ask ? If you get it then, good. If not, then you know its thursday
__________________

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts


2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
91LS-VTak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: richmond
Posts: 3,009
Thanked 82 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBruegmann View Post
tsk tsk tsk , dont feel like doing the math to find out LOL so just call in wednesday and ask ? If you get it then, good. If not, then you know its thursday

LOL, there's no "math" involved. 72 hours is 3 days so that means Wednesday at 2am my car and license should be available. But I thought I saw a post that said your license is suspended for 3 COMPLETE days, so technically the day that you get suspended on doesn't count towards that 72 hour period. In my case, that would mean i could get my car Thursday.
__________________
Brickyard '03 350z

Roll That Shit, Light That Shit, Smoke That Shit!

Quote:
(told to me by the stupidest person in the world)...
'Yeah, i've been to taco time before, but i got in trouble...I had a Mexican girlfriend who wanted to go to a mexican restaurant for our anniversery, so i took her to Taco Time"
91LS-VTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
ninjatune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LMD
Posts: 3,145
Thanked 228 Times in 71 Posts
Thursday it is... Depending on the tow company, you'll have to wait for business hours to pick up your vehicle. Thursday you can also attend driver services to pay for a new license.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
TheNewGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 1,476
Thanked 521 Times in 263 Posts
According to the RCMP, the day you get your suspension doesn't count. So it's 3 full days after that.
__________________
~ Just another noob looking for a clue
TheNewGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
Thursday it is... Depending on the tow company, you'll have to wait for business hours to pick up your vehicle. Thursday you can also attend driver services to pay for a new license.
And if the vehicle is yours, you won't be able to pick it up yourself without showing you have a licence if they allow a 12:01am pick-up, so bring a friend to drive away. And remember that until you go and get your new licence, you are an unlicenced driver even though the suspension is over.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
...on a mission....
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: n
Posts: 281
Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
And if the vehicle is yours, you won't be able to pick it up yourself without showing you have a licence if they allow a 12:01am pick-up, so bring a friend to drive away. And remember that until you go and get your new licence, you are an unlicenced driver even though the suspension is over.
Well, technically, you DO have a license. It is not suspended.....you are just prohibited from driving. You do not go get a new license..you just get your existing license back. There is a difference between suspension and prohibition. Suspension.....is like NOT having a license..it isn't valid to "use". Prohibition means you are prohibited from.....like prohibited from driving in this case for the 72 hours....a difference. You may get a VT if you get stopped and you don't have your license ON you AFTER your prohibition...but it won't be a VT for driving will suspended. But, wise advise...take a friend with you if you don't physically have your license on you.
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Incorrect. You lose your licence during the 3-day suspension (you are prohibited from driving during that time). In order to become re-licenced, you have to go and renew your licence/get a new one. Any time you are prohibited from driving, once that prohibition ends, you are unlicenced until you attend a Licencing Center, pay the fees for a new licence and get that piece of yellow paper that is the Temporary Drivers Licence.

With the 24hr suspension, you are still licenced once that 24hr period is over. Not the case with the IRP.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
Well, technically, you DO have a license. It is not suspended.....you are just prohibited from driving. You do not go get a new license..you just get your existing license back. There is a difference between suspension and prohibition. Suspension.....is like NOT having a license..it isn't valid to "use". Prohibition means you are prohibited from.....like prohibited from driving in this case for the 72 hours....a difference. You may get a VT if you get stopped and you don't have your license ON you AFTER your prohibition...but it won't be a VT for driving will suspended. But, wise advise...take a friend with you if you don't physically have your license on you.
To save yourself $276, do not listen to this. With the Immediate Roadside Prohibition, which you received, we return your licence (the actual piece of plastic) to Victoria, to the OSMV. You are required to go to an ICBC licencing center and pay the re-instatement fee to have your licence re-instated
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
...on a mission....
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: n
Posts: 281
Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Incorrect. You lose your licence during the 3-day suspension (you are prohibited from driving during that time). In order to become re-licenced, you have to go and renew your licence/get a new one. Any time you are prohibited from driving, once that prohibition ends, you are unlicenced until you attend a Licencing Center, pay the fees for a new licence and get that piece of yellow paper that is the Temporary Drivers Licence.

With the 24hr suspension, you are still licenced once that 24hr period is over. Not the case with the IRP.
Point taken and I stand corrected.

It's funny, in their fact sheet....the Solicitor General uses the term "suspension" of the license when talking about the IRP's, which in my mind is the correct term and explains what you have said. The MVA uses the term "prohibition" when talking about the IRP's and the two terms DO mean different "things". Immediate Roadside Prohibitions are essentially suspensions, and the Automatic Roadside Driving Prohibitions (which the 24 hour prohibition falls into)are just that...driving prohibitions, right?

Last edited by Simnut; 08-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Just trying to save the spread of mis-information.

Once ticketed for "No Drivers Licence", your licence file/record gets flagged and you become a Vehicle Impound candidate until you pay off fees/fines. If caught driving again while flagged as such, you deal with another impound, another No DL ticket and a driving prohibition served on the spot. If caught driving again without having sorted all this out yet, there is another impound, another No DL ticket and charges for Driving While Prohibited.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net