REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Question regarding motorcycle restrictions

Hey skidmark (or any other officer here)
Just a quick questions. I have my class 6L with speed/supervisor restrictions removed, but still have dawn to dusk restrictions as well as NO passenger restrictions. In addition I also have full class 5 license.

My question is in regards to the restrictions. I read somewhere that icbc is trying to make it so that if someone is breaking restrictions with a motorcycle there is a 7 day impoundment. I have booked my class 6 road test but in the meantime want to know what the penalties are for breaking the passenger restrictions with a class 6L. Is it a fine (plus tow) or is there an actual impounment involved? I am just wondering for my own information, if it is in fact a 7 day impoundment or worse then I will not risk it. thanks
Advertisement
240zdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

New rider? Is it really worth the risk to not wait it out until your road test? I don't know how much you've ridden since you started, but, from a safety standpoint, riding with a pillion is quite different and requires you to be really comfortable with your bike.
I'm eager to take my class 6 road test too, so I don't need to be home by 9:00pm every day if I'm riding or out somewhere with friends with my bike. Need to wait until the end of August (that's when the earliest exam date I could book is), but I'll suck it up.

Found these on ICBC's website:
(ICBC | Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences)

25(15): Drive contrary to restriction (e.g., not wearing corrective lenses) - $109 - 3 points
194(3): Permit unlawfully seated passenger on motorcycle - $109 - 2 points

Theoretically, your bike could be impounded for seven days on the grounds of you being improperly licensed. (ICBC | Vehicle impoundment for other reasons)
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You also run the risk of your insurance being invalid because you are violating the restrictions. Read the back of your ICBC insurance/registration sheet...inside the box, point # 3... "use by persons.....may invalidate the certificate". Your passenger will be suing you personally, not ICBC in the case of a crash.

You will likely have your vehicle towed to prevent continuation of the offence. You will also get ticketed for whatever else you did when the Police decided to stop you and found out you were violating your restrictions. A stupid risky choice for so many reasons...BTW you will find yourself at the bottom of the restriction ladder as well.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

Good points from everyone.
It looks like it's not worth the risk.
Does anyone know what actual ticket would be given?
How would this be an improperly licensed violation? Isn't it a restriction violation?(similar to corrective lenses)
Why would the officer tow the vehicle, what if the passenger found a ride home?
Whatdo you mean by bottom of restriction ladder?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Any of the above I mentioned.
You could also be given one for not having a valid Dl because yours is not vaild if you are violating the restrictions.
The officer could tow the vehicle if he believed that you would continue to ride after he left.
You would get a prohibition for breaching the restrictions and this would likely mean that you would have to go right back to the start of your Learner period and begin all over again. It's up to the MV Branch as to what they impose for someone caught violating the restrictions. They take a very dim view of people who do that.

Riding with a passenger chanages the ride in a huge number of ways...it affects the way you brake, corner, accelerate, balance whlile stopped etc. The fact that you do not realize this means you do need time to develop your skills as a rider first. Once they are better then you are permitted to add the additional responsibility for the life of your passenger.

Last edited by zulutango; 08-08-2011 at 07:27 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the info
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #7

A question regarding prohibition from breaching restrictions. Can anyone actually confirm this.
Please no more "you're not experiences enough to ride with passenger" comments.
I am not a 20 year old with a crotch rocket trying to impress the jailbait down the street, I ride a dualsport and have been riding for about 10 years on and off
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

I can confirm that the motorcycle gets impounded for 7 days. Its one of the last boxes in the 7 day impoundment section on the Vehicle Impound form. Also, its worth mentioning that Section B, the section that includes impounds for restriction breaches for learner class 6 drivers, it is written in the instructions that police MUST impound the vehicle for offences under that section. There is no discretion there for police to use.

I can also confirm that the OSMV does/will suspend licences for people with learner/novice licences (2 or 4 wheeled vehicle) who get tickets for Drive Contrary to Restrictions. A lot less leeway for someone with a learner licence due to the fact that they generally will have less experience and have these restrictions for their own benefit.

I wish I could say that I've never heard a more stupid question than "Is it worth the risk?", but I have. Either way, its a stupid question. Is it ever worth the risk to put yourself into a situation like that? No. That one time, when it might not even by your fault, can financially screw up the rest of your life, and possibly someone else's.

Go in early on days off to see if there are cancelations, or find a hole-in-the-wall location that will have openings if you're that eager to have a passenger/ride at night.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Dude, you only need to wait a month to get your full class 6 after getting the 6"L", and 7 days is a 1/4 of that time. Totally not worth it to risk it, just get your test done asap!
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240zdan View Post
A question regarding prohibition from breaching restrictions. Can anyone actually confirm this.
Please no more "you're not experiences enough to ride with passenger" comments.
I am not a 20 year old with a crotch rocket trying to impress the jailbait down the street, I ride a dualsport and have been riding for about 10 years on and off
Posted via RS Mobile
You do realize the person giving you advice is a retired police officer, he's not making this up, your only asking for conformation because you don't like his answer.

If you drive contrary to restrictions you might as well not have insurance, because it will be voided if you need to make a claim. That enough is reason to wait.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #11

I am not arguing anything said here. All great information and I have already made the decision to not drive against my restrictions. Just trying to pull as much info as I can for my own knowledge and to inform others. I didn't want this to turn into a "what a stupid question, shame on you, you're going to cause a bunch of deaths" thread.
Seems like every question asked on this forum everyone goes into mom mode and starts scolding the op.

I just want hard facts, and I got them. Thank you.
Posted via RS Mobile