REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Sultan of Brunei rumoured to sell off Supercars

Taken from Top Gear
Is the Sultan of Brunei selling his supercars? - BBC Top Gear

Quite a few Ferrari's.
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts

this is NICE!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
more...

unfortunately these cars have been just sitting there for years, most even have the original factory miles on them
Quote:
But the Sultan's neglect was so all-encompassing that many of them, including the Enzo, the Jaguar XJ220, the BMW Nazca V12 and the Cizeta V16 pictured above have the same mileage on their odometers that they left the factory with. That kind of car hoarding might appeal to a few collectors and museums, but here it's a tragedy. Not only did a wealthy despot waste his country's resources on toys no one enjoyed, there's no telling how much of their engines and suspensions have converted into a rust-and-oil cobbler.
http://jalopnik.com/5828222/sultan-o...he-never-drove
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
holy shit. Nazca C2. need for speed II nostalgia anyone?
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
holy shit. Nazca C2. need for speed II nostalgia anyone?
I want that Cizeta. V16 ftw!
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Rust? Brunei? You're joking. Probably have somebody maintaining them.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Wow the Nazca looks pretty sweet.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Hmm not surprising actually, my friend's uncle had picked up a lower end benz AMG that used to belong to the Sultan in Brunei. There was a rumour going on in car community that the Sultan was trying to set up a business in New Zealand to offload a majority of his cars a few years ago. I wonder if he's just tired of having the cars or if the economy is in that rough of shape.
Onassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

I believe this is actually Hyde's garage we are all looking at.

Until someone actually spots his Yaris in that collection,we won't know for sure.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onassis View Post
..I wonder if he's just tired of having the cars or if the economy is in that rough of shape.
For the Sultan of Brunei, I think the economy is doing just fine
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
probably gonna get failed but the F50 front end is so ugly
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Guy on Mercedes Forum picked up a extremely rare Mercedes SL 70 AMG off the Sultan with 450 clicks on it for 5,500.

Alot of the cars are modded to the teeth with rare one off options, and usually all the cars are British imports to Brunei
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
that enzo...

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Old news but perplexing to see again.

"Exotic car broker Michael Sheehan discovered an amazing case nine years ago when he was invited to purchase rare Ferraris and McLaren F1s from a Brunei collection. He writes about it in the current issue of Sports Car Market.

Brunei is a family-owned oil Sultanate of 400,000 people located on the island of Borneo in southeast Asia. A brother of the sultan was finance minister until 1997, when the Asian financial crisis hit Brunei. The Arthur Anderson accounting firm was called in to audit the books. The accountants found that between 1983 and 1998 $40 billion had disappeared and that the finance minister himself had personally spent $14.8 billion.

The finance minister had a collection of 2,500 exotic cars, 500 properties, five yachts, and nine world-class aircraft. He had managed to spend $900,000,000 in the London jeweler Asprey, apparently guaranteeing the old age retirements of a number of attractive women who consort with kleptocrats.

The finance minister was allowed to keep 500 of the cars, but he had to turn in the rest of his loot--to no avail as we shall see.

Sheehan went to Brunei to view the cars. From his general description of the collection, I estimate that the finance minister had paid six figures for the least expensive car in the collection. Many cost much more. McLaren F1s cost $1,000,000 new. They are more valuable now. In October 2008 one sold at a London auction for $4,100,000. Many of the cars were custom built. Some of the high speed Ferraris "were coated in radar-absorbent matt-black coatings and fitted with infrared cameras for night driving." Easily more than one billion dollars of Brunei's oil revenues had found their way into the finance minister's car collection.

Sheehan reports that the cars were stored in about 12 buildings "surrounded by a high wall topped with razor wire and with a bomb-proof front gate" and patrolled by "armed Gurkhas with very serious German shepherds." The security was for naught, because "the air conditioning was off, but the tropical sun was not." Years of heat and humidity had destroyed the cars. The storage facilities had become a car tomb.

Sheehan concluded that most of the cars were in such a state of ruin that only a few of the cars had sufficiently high inherent values to support commercially viable restorations. The best use of the rest, Sheehan decided, would be to turn them into an artificial ocean reef."

If anyone would like to fail me, this was written February 2011 by former Reagan Administration Assistant Secretary of the Treasury.

Last edited by rcoccultwar; 08-09-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: spelling
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #15
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
2500 exotics? ... And he only allowed to keep 500.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcowboy View Post

Sheehan concluded that most of the cars were in such a state of ruin that only a few of the cars had sufficiently high inherent values to support commercially viable restorations. The best use of the rest, Sheehan decided, would be to turn them into an artificial ocean reef."

How awesome would that be to dive on a reef of Ferraris?
slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Dudes like thew Salton need to be hung and not for the abuse of cars. But maybe someone will get a Ferrari for cheap and do a K series, LS1, or a 2JZ swap.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Dudes like thew Salton need to be hung and not for the abuse of cars. But maybe someone will get a Ferrari for cheap and do a K series, LS1, or a 2JZ swap.
No, they should be hung for spending like shieks while the country was poor and in disarray. One of my old employees was from Brunei, and the stories she told were enough to make you realize that the Sultan and his crew are horrible people.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
No, they should be hung for spending like shieks while the country was poor and in disarray. One of my old employees was from Brunei, and the stories she told were enough to make you realize that the Sultan and his crew are horrible people.
Exactly.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

well i lived there and it was not him to blame but his brother...

when i was there he and wives/wife (whatever) took care of the people...every birthdat was 5 bucks for everyone + some goodies...jerudong park was absolutely the greatest plus it was free...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
She's 60 now, and I'm sure has a little different memory of living there...

You do realize that the country has been under martial law since the 60's, don't you?
Sounds like a great place to live. Martial law, but they give you $5 on your birthday.

Where do I sign up?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
well i lived there and it was not him to blame but his brother...

when i was there he and wives/wife (whatever) took care of the people...every birthdat was 5 bucks for everyone + some goodies...jerudong park was absolutely the greatest plus it was free...
So that's around 2 million. The cost of a couple of his cars and a lot less than one of it's planes.

I have no problem people spending money how they want as long as they earned and did not steal it. He also has a big taste for prostitutes some underage.

The World's Largest House - International Business Times -

is is the home of Sultan of Brunei's istana nurul iman.

It contains 1,788 rooms, 257 bathrooms, and a floor area of 2,152,782 square feet (200,000 m²). Amenities include 5 swimming pools, and an air conditioned stable for the Sultan's 200 polo ponies, a 110-car garage, a banquet hall that can be expanded to accommodate up to 4,000 guests, and a mosque accommodating 1,500 people.

The palace was built in 1984 at a cost of around $1.4 billion USD and has 564 chandeliers, 51,000 light bulbs, 44 stairwells, and 18 elevators. It is also a home to a car collection that includes custom-made Ferraris and Bentleys as well as 165 Rolls-Royces.

Edit: The park is not free anymore.

Last edited by Manic!; 08-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
So these cars were bought and store at a hot and humid garage? Poor cars really.............
Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
She's 60 now, and I'm sure has a little different memory of living there...

You do realize that the country has been under martial law since the 60's, don't you?
Sounds like a great place to live. Martial law, but they give you $5 on your birthday.

Where do I sign up?
I lived there for 10 or so years and yes it was a great place to live...schooling was cheap, food was good and cheap, people were friendly...so what's not to like... I don't know what your smokin but the place is not as bad as what you hear... Like I said I lived there... Did you?
Posted via RS Mobile
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So that's around 2 million. The cost of a couple of his cars and a lot less than one of it's planes.

I have no problem people spending money how they want as long as they earned and did not steal it. He also has a big taste for prostitutes some underage.

The World's Largest House - International Business Times -

is is the home of Sultan of Brunei's istana nurul iman.

It contains 1,788 rooms, 257 bathrooms, and a floor area of 2,152,782 square feet (200,000 m²). Amenities include 5 swimming pools, and an air conditioned stable for the Sultan's 200 polo ponies, a 110-car garage, a banquet hall that can be expanded to accommodate up to 4,000 guests, and a mosque accommodating 1,500 people.

The palace was built in 1984 at a cost of around $1.4 billion USD and has 564 chandeliers, 51,000 light bulbs, 44 stairwells, and 18 elevators. It is also a home to a car collection that includes custom-made Ferraris and Bentleys as well as 165 Rolls-Royces.

Edit: The park is not free anymore.
The amusement park portion is not there anymore.., was sold of because of his brother
Posted via RS Mobile
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote