REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   50 most delicious foods in the world? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/651316-50-most-delicious-foods-world.html)

LSF22 08-09-2011 04:56 PM

50 most delicious foods in the world?

50 Most Delicious Food In The World: Have You Tried Them All?

CNN published an article of the World’s 50 Most Delicious Foods a few days ago. That article caused a bit of news in Malaysia because the Assam Laksa landed on spot #7.

And true to form, this sort of things rankled Singapore. Both Malaysia and Singapore had a bit of an exchange over the press on why Singapore’s Chili Crab (ranked #35) and Chicken Rice (#45) is ranked lower than the Assam Laksa

Frankly, although this is fun to read, I won’t take this list very seriously. While some of the food listed deserves recognition, there are some that is rather dubious. In particular, … ketchup is ranked #39 and popcorn is ranked #50.

http://chowtimes.com/wp-content/uplo...wn-600x399.jpg

So I took a closer look. I broke down the top 50 food into country of origin.

If the above is true, then the United States are truly the culinary destination of the world. So, it does not surprise anyone that this is a list of most delicious food from the American viewpoint. Not that it is any problem.

Spoiler!

Chow Times » 50 Most Delicious Food In The World: Have You Tried Them All?

unit 08-09-2011 05:07 PM

no top 50 food list could possibly have any credibility.
food tastes are completely subjective.. not sure why people are getting butt hurt over this list.

dlo 08-09-2011 08:43 PM

YEEEEEE PHO and goi cuons!

Senna4ever 08-10-2011 12:14 AM

#16 should be Portuguese Egg Tarts!

I have to agree that such a list is highly subjective. Personally, I disagree with #28 & #32.

Meowjin 08-10-2011 02:03 AM

only anthony bourdain can make this list.

also schwarma would be up there and roast lamb would be on my list.

and not enough pork on that list

jeedee 08-10-2011 02:17 AM

Fuck

Shouldn't have read the list when hungry :okay:
Posted via RS Mobile

joquio 08-10-2011 03:35 PM

Döner Kebab in Germany (Berlin)
Best fast food EVAR!!!!!
There was literally a Döner Kebab joint on every corner.

http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/ui...7_15-doner.jpg

Meowjin 08-10-2011 03:36 PM

why not go to the source for donair.

also i had a pretty wicked donair in hanoi.

joquio 08-10-2011 03:40 PM

go to the source? I didn't get it lol.

I guess it's just a childhood/teenager memory from when lived in Berlin for 9 years......
I just can't get enough of it.

Hondaracer 08-10-2011 05:13 PM

isnt the source of donairs like Lebanon etc.?

In london they have millions of lebonese restaurants all owned by lebonese who couldnt even speak english, but their kebab was terrible compared to what i would normally get at donair affair etc. it was more like a fajita

BinsentoW 08-10-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7541140)

In london they have millions of lebonese restaurants all owned by lebonese who couldnt even speak english, but their kebab was terrible compared to what i would normally get at donair affair etc. it was more like a fajita

38. French toast, Hong Kong

Kinda like how french toast isnt from Hong Kong?

Culture_Vulture 08-10-2011 05:57 PM

I always love it when people refer to Japanese cuisine simply as "sushi". Really? To my average Caucasian friend, "sushi" consists of California rolls, chicken teriyaki and prawn tempuras.

Vansterdam 08-10-2011 06:48 PM

:sweetjesus: :sweetjesus: :sweetjesus:

Ikkaku 08-10-2011 10:59 PM

one of the worst list ever, especially with the list being so general.

ice cream??
lobster??
maple syrup is a food?

Manic! 08-11-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Nope It's Canadian.

Donair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A donair is a variation on the doner kebab. It was originally introduced in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in the early 1970s

I know :fulloffuck:

Shades 08-11-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 7541057)
Döner Kebab in Germany (Berlin)
Best fast food EVAR!!!!!
There was literally a Döner Kebab joint on every corner.

http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/ui...7_15-doner.jpg

Doener joints are like Starbucks in NA.

Quote:

You have to get your Doeners from the Turkish men, otherwise it's not the same.

Although, when I lived in Berlin I would get chicken Doeners from a Viet joint(Imbiss) and also chicken fried rice. Good Asian food is hard to come by and expensive in Germany.

joquio 08-11-2011 01:07 AM

Yup, them asian food in Germany are for Whities. Super expensive too.

Yes, the Turks make the best Döner Kebab.
I tried so many sherwama wraps here and everyone of them disappoint me. Couldn't bring me back the memory and taste of real Kebab.
One of the key ingredient is the bread. The Kebab bread has this nice harder texture and a little bit taste of sesame. Here the wrap are just bleh.
Also, one thing that ticks me off the most is here they also have this rotating stick with meat on and and it turns to grill. BUT EVERYTIME when they make your wrap they grab the meat from a metal container!!!! WTF why having the meat grilling when you are just gonna use some pre-cut ones from like yesterday?!?!?!

On a side note, in Berlin the Turks are like east indian and asian ppl combined in vancouver. Sooo many of them since every freaking Turkish family has like 10 children and the teenage turks are pretentious like surrey jacks here. Very annoying.

Oh and another killer food is the Berliner Wurst (Curry Wurst):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3463/...69d518d10d.jpg

http://data.blogg.de/2179/images/BerlinerWurst2.JPG

Not as filling as the Kebab but still dope.

bcrdukes 08-11-2011 01:29 AM

Oh man, I really miss doner kebab and currywurst. :drool:

Shades 08-11-2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 7541668)
Yup, them asian food in Germany are for Whities. Super expensive too.

Yes, the Turks make the best Döner Kebab.
I tried so many sherwama wraps here and everyone of them disappoint me. Couldn't bring me back the memory and taste of real Kebab.
One of the key ingredient is the bread. The Kebab bread has this nice harder texture and a little bit taste of sesame. Here the wrap are just bleh.
Also, one thing that ticks me off the most is here they also have this rotating stick with meat on and and it turns to grill. BUT EVERYTIME when they make your wrap they grab the meat from a metal container!!!! WTF why having the meat grilling when you are just gonna use some pre-cut ones from like yesterday?!?!?!

On a side note, in Berlin the Turks are like east indian and asian ppl combined in vancouver. Sooo many of them since every freaking Turkish family has like 10 children and the teenage turks are pretentious like surrey jacks here. Very annoying.

Oh and another killer food is the Berliner Wurst (Curry Wurst):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3463/...69d518d10d.jpg

http://data.blogg.de/2179/images/BerlinerWurst2.JPG

Not as filling as the Kebab but still dope.

Yeah, tell me about it. 2 dishes of dim sum cost me 12 Euros.

Haha have you tried Shawarmas in Berlin? Habibi's in Shoeneberg wasn't bad. Although, I must agree with you that I prefer the crunchy sesame texture of the Doener pita bread. I always asked them to leave the bread on the the panini grill longer for the extra bite. Garlic and hot sauce for me.

The meat on the spit is for decoration only you silly goose. LOL I love how they dress up the meat so nicely, too with tomatoes and bell peppers(or what you call Paprika) not like here.

I think they use the meat from the metal container to save time when there's a lineup rather than cutting it upon order, which they should be doing. I doubt they use day old meat though but what do I know. The mountain of meat is so questionable anyway. Is it beef, is it chicken, is it human, rat... I heard at one point in Germany the Doenar meat was making people sick so they had to regulate it better. My first two weeks in Berlin, I had a Doener daily until someone told me it wasn't healthy. Usually 1 doener = 2 meals for me Not bad for 2.5 Eu huh? lol

Turks = Surrey Jacks? Haha That's a pretty fair comparison. Most Turkish kids are either punks or they're arrogant because their family owns a fruit stand(very popular in Europe) they know they will inherit. My German friends have told me to stay away from certain neighborhoods as they got robbed there, but I have never had trouble with them. It's probably because they think I'm Jacky Chan :fulloffuck:

You, too? Germans sure love their currywurst. A friend from Berlin came here on exchange for a year and told me he missed currywurst. I thought it was only a tourist thing. What's so good about wieners with curry powder swimming in ketchup and mayo? However, I do miss the fries. I don't know what it is but they're so golden and crispy. Almost healthy tasting which makes me wonder how they would taste with our Canadian gravy.

Shades 08-11-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7541680)
Oh man, I really miss doner kebab and currywurst. :drool:

I miss thin crust pizza made by Italians and German Bread :okay:

Meowjin 08-11-2011 04:29 AM

my german/greek friend that emigrated here told me a funny joke.

what happens when you give a turk a corner kick during a soccer game?

a: they open a doner stand

Joq: Check out babylon cafe and get the lamb. That's as close as you will get to doner from europe.

and yes doner is turkish, schwarma is lebenese/iraqi (both different toppis) and pita/gyro is greek.

It's usually toppings and bread and seasoning that is the difference. Personally I love schwarma's but they are all equally good.

man I remember that doner from hanoi. Cost me 75 cents on an awesome french baguette with cabbage and lamb and a sweet white sauce. So fucking good. s

joquio 08-11-2011 08:15 AM

@Shades
Really? When I used to live in Germany (about 10 years ago) they always cut the meat fresh from the spit. Maybe they have changed now?
I don't know why but curry powder with sausage just taste so good. And yes, the fries taste sooo different and soooo good.

OH, I'm asian too BTW lol.

@Majin
That joke made me laugh :lol
Is babylon cafe the one in downtown by granville st?
I think I already tried it and if I remember correctly the wrap felt sooo small.

Alphamale 08-11-2011 08:27 AM

Hmmm...there's nothing from Korea on that list.

:troll:

InvisibleSoul 08-11-2011 08:44 AM

34. Maple syrup, Canada
39. Ketchup, United States

Really?

krazynuck 08-11-2011 10:00 AM

Did not know French Toast was from Hong Kong....

why are not nachos on the list ?!?!?!

that would be number one on my list