REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Dog help?

Ok so im adopting a dog from other owners that cannot provide a good life for the dog, its micro chipped neutered shots up to date, house trained . Just wondering since its micro chipped it wont be under my name, what should i do about that? Also can someone just give me information on like keeping it heathy? When to shower? How long of a walk per day ? toys? foods? Anything will help, thanks alot!
Advertisement
guesskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #2

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Keeping healthy - obviously walks outside/exercise.

When to shower - my house usually showers both our dogs once a month, I've read that showering a dog every few weeks isn't recommended. Every month/2 months should be good.

How long of a walk per day - up to you. I'd say 20 mins to an hour.

Toys/food - I find that tisol is a great place for toys/food. I barely have used/been to petcetera so I can't say for them. Funny story of mine on how my dogs found their love for specific foods. I fed one of mine shrimp one day and all he eats is seafood dogfood. Other one got his paws on dropped meat and all he eats is meat related dog food. We have to buy mixed seafood/meat/veggie dogfood for them, and the one that likes meat, whenever he stumbles on a seafood dogfood piece, he spits it out and only eats the meat flavoured ones lol

In all, be prepared to spend a lot of money but expect lots of love back from your dog. Have fun!
Posted via RS Mobile
jeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

A lot of this is going to depend on what breed the dog is and what age as well.

Diet wise I can not say enough good things about the Raw Diet. If you can't do this, make sure you are feeding your dog a Grain Free kibble such as Evo. I would avoid brands you get at most grocery stores.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

No offence, but Shouldnt you have already done your homework before deciding on adopting a dog and providing it a 'good life' that the previous owner couldnt? Its a big commitment.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Depending on the chip they used, the dog may have a tag with a contact number, and/or the owners should have the documentation for the chip that includes the serial number and a contact number. They should probably contact the company and have the records changed (they may not do it if you call and just tell them you're the new owner).

As for how often/how long to walk, that will depend a lot on the breed and size. Some need more exercise than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #6

its a toy size poodle, and for 604nguyen, i already did my homework, but believing everything i see on the internet won't help, i rather ask people that had experience! btw its white, im aware of the red stains around the poodles eye, what diet should i give it so it doesnt happen?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Poodles are a pretty active, aren't they? I'd say at the very least 1 hour a day. You can split it into 2,3 small sessions. Occasionally bring him to dog parks/beaches so he can socialize. It's good for his temperament. And I only bath my dog when he gets stinky, maybe once a month.

Tisol is a good place for premium food.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

yup try the "Go Natural" grain free as well
or go raw, my dog loves it
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesskid View Post
btw its white, im aware of the red stains around the poodles eye, what diet should i give it so it doesnt happen?
You can get products like Angel Eyes (and pay a fortune for them)... we use buttermilk powder to address the tearstains and eye crusties. You can find it in the bulk section at Save-On Foods - not buttermilk pancake mix, mind you, but the powdered buttermilk. Just sprinkle a bit on the food, or mix it in. It won't stop the tearing, but it will reduce the staining, and help keep it from getting hard and crusty.
Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #10

oh ic, so showers every month , walk an hour a day, feed 2 times a day , both dry dog food? or wet food too? any recommended wet food? How long should i let it outside for ? like just in the backyard sniffing and what not .
Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesskid View Post
its a toy size poodle, and for 604nguyen, i already did my homework, but believing everything i see on the internet won't help, i rather ask people that had experience! btw its white, im aware of the red stains around the poodles eye, what diet should i give it so it doesnt happen?
Little dogs are the easiest to go on the Raw diet with (because the proportions are based on the size of the critter).

As I said, Raw will help with many "common" health issues and keep his coat nice and body odor down. If you absolutely can't do raw for what ever reason grain free is a must.

But all the kibble in the grocery store and most vets offices are crap. Tisol or Bosley's carry some good brands Evo and Go I've had good experience with with foster animals, I'm sure other people use other ones. The food for Raw Diet can be all bought between your butcher and your grocery store.

He'll need to be walked at least once a day. You should be mindful that poodles are smart dogs too, they need something to do with themselves or they can get into trouble. I like the Kong brand of toys. You hide a couple favorite foods inside and then they have to gnaw and work at the toy a while to get it out.

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/dog-food-comparison.html <-- is a decent chart if you're going to go with kibbles.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #12

Something like agility is a good way to keep a dog's mind sharp, too... or learning tracking, or anything like that. If he's good with people and you're looking to do some volunteer work, you could look into joining a Therapy Dog program as well... all things to work a dog's brain and, funny as it sounds, make them feel useful.
Quote:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #13

Alright i picked up the puppy now its a minature pinscher and last night its been moaning and crying all night until i let it in my room and slept in there with his puppy coach, today hes been shaking a bit and sneezing this morning, we think the shaking is from to much energy and sneezing is from the dust that he got when he roamed under our beds, hes also been taking his businesses inside the house, and hes been scratching himself in the head or neck, i thought it was fleas or ticks but im not sure, hes clean and on july 21st he had a vet checkup and shots and he was healthy weighing at 3 lbs , any tips on house training and giving it a shower? we tried letting it outside for a walk and sniffing trees that have a scent . Its a 4month old puppy that just came from another owner and i understand its not like his home but are these actions normal?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Ive had to take care of a poodle for like 4 days, the first day he ran around the house super fast nonstop for some reason, i tried to settle him down but coudn't even catch him, day after he was perfectly fine.

Dont know why they do that....
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #15

Nothing unusual there, he's just nervous and in unfamiliar territory. Most important thing is not to baby him, or you'll just be reinforcing that behavior. "When I act neurotic, I get loves and pets, sweet!"

Like LP says, just gotta give him a little time to adjust. Take him outside frequently and give him lots of exercise to help keep his energy in check (min-pins are naturally very energetic).

Assuming his shots are up to date (ie. second set of puppy shots), some time at a GOOD dog park will give him a chance to socialize and run off some energy too - I highly recommend Clayton Heights off-leash park on 188th St. @ 70th Ave. in Surrey - they have a separate small dog area and generally lots of good dog people there with other well-socialized, well-behaved dogs (there are always exceptions, of course, but we've found this one to be one of the better ones overall).
Quote:
Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #16

Im not sure if hes tired right now but hes just sleeping and now im about to bring him out and see what happens .
Old 08-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #17

At that age, he'll probably nap a lot... we're babysitting a 9-week-old chihuahua right now and he's like that - bouncing around one minute, can't keep his eyes open the next, up and at'em again 15 minutes later.
Quote:
Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #18

Is it normal for it to tear? It tears when im doing my work and when he tries to hop on me and i put him down, also when i lay on the coach, he tends to hop on and sit on me, i saw somewhere that i can't be too spoiled with the dog or it will have behavior problems later on, anyone wanna shed some light on this?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #19
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Tearing is normal, at least for poodles. My Daschund used to tear when we've just got him but it stop a month later. We don't know what's the cause, it's probably because we changed his food.

Yea, definitely don't want to spoil him too much or he'll become a head case later on. Set a boundary. If he do something that you don't agree with, discipline him. You shouldn't let him sit on top off you, the same as you shouldn't let him jumping on the sofa, not when you've just gotten him at least. He should only sit on your lap when you invite him in.

Don't forget to reward him with petting/treat when he does something right.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #20

Is it good if a 4month min pinsher sleeping alot cause its still a baby? it sleeps after every walk .
Old 08-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
VLS Pet Forum Mod

puppies sleep alot, just like babies. Set up a potty schedule. So out every two hours for the first two days then bump to three hours stay at that till the dog has been successful for three days consecutively. After that up to every four hours. Best to set a potty time a half an hour after they eat. The dog is going to act strange for the first couple of days till he/she is use to the enviroment. Tearing is normal to an extent, main thing is it is clear in color. Any sort of green or yellow tint to the tears I would get a vet to check it out. Dogs scratch don't jump every time it happens. If they seem to be scratching in a particular spot excessively pull back the hair and look for red dots, black bits, or fleas. The red dots are from bites, the black bits is flea droppings. If none of those are present just keep an eye on the spot in case its a hot spot. Stick polysporin on the skin if it's pink or red.
Short walks twice of three times a day is good for a pup that size, that age. You do not want to damage their growing joints before they form. I would wait on going to an off-leash puppy park till the dog is comfortable with you. You want to encourage the dog to bond with you the humans before you start bringing in other dog bonds.
Just set your ground rules and stick with them, they have to be what you want and not what others think they should be. Everyone is different in what they want their rules to be. If you stick to those and are diligent on the potty training you will have a happy puppy.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #22

Just a note on the scratching, too: if you're putting a new collar or harness on, the dog could be scratching because it feels unfamiliar, and may still scratch a bit after you take it off. Just give it time, and try not to change it up too often before he can get used to having the collar or harness on.
Quote:
Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #23

How do you exactly potty train it with training pads, i tried alot of different methods that worked for other people. I put up a barrier so it couldnt leave and i was going to let it go after it poops in there and he will also get a treat, but as 4hours past, nothing happened so i just let it out . I tried picking her up when she was doing her business, she just walks and pee/poops while running. When she pissed on the floor, i got the training pad and dabbed abit of the urine on, the next morning, she went there to take a piss, but she will not poop there, she poops around the hall way and the living room and the washroom if the door is opened.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #24

^try crate training, took about a little over a month until he got it. Potty trained by 3 months

My now 4.5 month puppy can hold for an entire workday, and knows that inside is not for business, outside only
Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #25

alright thankyou revscene for helping me bring a new member to the family!!