REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
How I Mod your mother

Provisional Acceptance

Hey guys,

Thought I'd ask here since the person I need to speak with at BCIT is away until September.
Maybe someone has been in a similar situation and can shed some light here.

I've applied to the Technology Entry program at BCIT, in hopes of transferring into the ABET program shortly after.

The program head of the Tech Entry told me that when you apply, you're also applying to your follow up. In my case, this is the ABET program.

Provisional acceptance can be granted after the heads of ABET review my application. Does anyone know on what circumstances they grant provisional acceptance?

I've been told if you have related work experience its a HUGE plus, but this isn't directly from the program heads themselves so I'm still left without a clear answer.
Advertisement
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
I am Hook'd on RS

I did TE last year (grade 12 level), they give you a list of programs and what grades need to be achieved/kept in order to obtain provisional acceptance on orientation day.
http://www.bcit.ca/files/cas/communi...rereq_grid.pdf

have a look at that grid.

Goodluck in your upcoming semester!
gdhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhillon View Post
I did TE last year (grade 12 level), they give you a list of programs and what grades need to be achieved/kept in order to obtain provisional acceptance on orientation day.
http://www.bcit.ca/files/cas/communi...rereq_grid.pdf

have a look at that grid.

Goodluck in your upcoming semester!
Thanks!

I was told that some programs offer provisional acceptance right off the bat, and the student needs to maintain those marks on the grid to KEEP their PA.
The more competitive programs like ABET, you have to be eligible for provisional acceptance AS WELL as maintain those marks to KEEP your PA. But I was never given a definitive answer as to what makes a student eligible for PA to the competitive programs.

I'm really confused now

BTW, how did you find TE, and what was your follow up?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
Thanks!

I was told that some programs offer provisional acceptance right off the bat, and the student needs to maintain those marks on the grid to KEEP their PA.
The more competitive programs like ABET, you have to be eligible for provisional acceptance AS WELL as maintain those marks to KEEP your PA. But I was never given a definitive answer as to what makes a student eligible for PA to the competitive programs.

I'm really confused now

BTW, how did you find TE, and what was your follow up?
\

I think its if your HS marks meet or exceed PA marks you get PA, and when you finish TE and your marks meet/exceed PA marks then your in.

I originally wanted to do CIVIL (when I initially applied I didn't get PA for it) but then right before TE day i decided to switch to MECH (which i got PA for at the end of the year). I did grade 12 level (set C) and I didn't find it to challenging (the only gr 12 course I needed was phys 12). My advice to you is to keep up with your classes (reading the chapter before the lecture notes always makes what the teacher says more understandable). And def visit the peer tutoring center, I think its still Mauricio and Ivan.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
How I Mod your mother

^Thanks for your response, I'm kinda nervous about the physics portion of it

I'll have to speak with the program head once he's back from vacation and find out exactly how it works just to be certain
Quote:
Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
^Thanks for your response, I'm kinda nervous about the physics portion of it

I'll have to speak with the program head once he's back from vacation and find out exactly how it works just to be certain
Your taking phys 11?..Yea Jimmy Lowe's the guy to talk to you (good chem helper to!)
Old 08-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
How I Mod your mother

Actually looking at the grid it looks like I need physics 12
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

Ya now that I think of it a friend of mine is going into arch, only grade 12 class he had to take was phys. I still have my Phys book if your looking to buy. Actually I have all my books still lol. Also dld the torrent for the phys book because for one id rather use my labtop then the text and that torrent includes the solutions to all the problems in the book. I find working backwards a big help when im stuck on a problem.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
How I Mod your mother

^Cool, if I get in I'll give you a shout for those books

Got a message from the Admissions supervisor that I was missing my resume and letter of intent (I'm assuming this has something to do with the provisional acceptance portion)
So I wrote one up and mailed it along with my resume.

Hoping for the best!
Quote:
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Alright sounds good man
Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
How I Mod your mother

Just to update I ended up getting accepted into the January intake of tech entry and was granted provisional acceptance as well so I'm pretty happy about that

From reading the email from the admissions officer it seems I'll be in the stream that covers grade 11 courses
Quote: