REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

question about coilover thread protection..

So I just spent the big money on a nice set of coilovers, and they're actually the first set of new coilovers I've ever bought. Any tips on how to keep the adjustment threads and the upper mounts (got pillow ball upper mounts) from corroding? What do you guys do, just spread some anti-sieze compound on the threads? Wrap them in electrical tape? Or just deal with the fact that there's nothing that you can really do...
Advertisement
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,883 Times in 745 Posts
Anti-seize for sure and if you want to take it a step further, ziptie a bike tube around the exposed threads
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
I will be making sleeves out of nylon or gore-tex like material. like a little jacket for my shiny new coilovers
Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

Been doing some searching, and found this great DIY on another site:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t146...uspension.html

I think I'll try this out! Some guys are saying it may trap moisture in and cause more corrosion than normal though.. I was thinking to do something similar with some plastic drop sheeting and duct tape, but I guess that would hold in moisture for sure. This idea probably works good with the right kind of material.

Last edited by grey ghost; 08-12-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: linked to wrong page
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Been using anti-seize and no problems. Dirt in the threads is the real killer, I use a air gun to clean them before ajustments.
The_Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote