REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Why do dogs like to pee on carpets?

Just got my wife a "Yorkie" puppy (8 weeks old) two weeks ago and have been house training it from day one.

The pup has gotten accustomed to pee on the training pad, but ever so often it will still take a #1 on my carpet? Does anyone know why? Please help.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I would guess because there's still pee scent on the carpet from the first time he released there. Try to clean it very hard to get rid of all the scent? Also clean under the carpet. How big is the carpet?
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

My dog used to do that too (but on laminate), its not because they like peeing on carpets, its just that when they have to go, they have to go. After doing that for the first time your pup left his/her scent there and thats why it keeps doing it. Just be persistent and always keep an eye on your pup, as soon as you see him sniffing around like he needs to go, just bring him over to the training pad and praise him like crazy if he goes on the pad.

Also, like Nlkko said, clean the carpet wherever he peed to remove the scent. Theres stain/odour removers at pet stores.

Good luck and have fun with the puppy =)
bsftong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Yeah try 'Urine Off' stain remover
Doesn't smell bad, and removes stains with ease,
I found 'simple solution' products unbearably smelly

Try crate training, paper training didn't work so well for me, my pup was fully house trained at about 12-13 weeks
Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

The only place with carpet at my place and my dog infests it with his pee, I really need that stain remover or change that room to tiles :s..
Posted via RS Mobile
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
VLS Pet Forum Mod

with my young pups that aren't potty trained I set timed potty times. The first day I take them out every two hours, also take them out after they have played. I leave a light short leash on them when they are loose in the house. This way if I see them sniffing or they look like they might have to go I just grab the end of the leash and take them out. I use x-pens if I'm busy doing something and can't be watching puppy (so if i'm making dinner or in the washroom). the second day he/she is home I bump it to three hours between potty breaks. When this has been successful for three days I bump the time up more. doing this I have trained all the dogs in two weeks so that they are successful with no mistakes. Puppies learn quicker when they are being successful.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #7

Thanks!

Thanks all for your help.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

have to watch for the signs that they have to go
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

You need to use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell. The stuff is a rip off at most pet stores but it does work. Its also great for when your dog pukes in you car as well. I use Natures Miracle Stain and Odor Remover but if you can find any enzyme laundry detergent it will be much cheaper.

My dog has never peed in the house but my cat did last year.
Sanjay_Burnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Toss out the training pads. Instead, put the dog outside every time it wakes up and keep the dog attached to you when you're inside. Praise it whenever is pees outside. Don't make a big production if it pees inside. Limit it's access to food and water and be sure to ut it outside after eating/drinking.
2002_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002_WRX View Post
Toss out the training pads. Instead, put the dog outside every time it wakes up and keep the dog attached to you when you're inside. Praise it whenever is pees outside. Don't make a big production if it pees inside. Limit it's access to food and water and be sure to ut it outside after eating/drinking.
Thanks bro for the advice.

When you say: "keep the dog attached to you when you're inside," do you mean have my dog by my side all time or on a leash?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I think he meant supervise the dog, which is pretty hard to do as you've got other things to do too. Praising him when he goes outside and make clear you're not happy when he goes inside is key. You don't have to give treat, "good boy", "good girl", a pet on the back is great. Then build a potty routine with gradually increased time between interval (week 1 you take him out every 2-3 hours, week 2 every 4 hours). Eventually your dog will learn to hold it for a very long period of time but dont abuse it. Be fair. Every 4-5 hours is decent.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
I think he meant supervise the dog, which is pretty hard to do as you've got other things to do too. Praising him when he goes outside and make clear you're not happy when he goes inside is key. You don't have to give treat, "good boy", "good girl", a pet on the back is great. Then build a potty routine with gradually increased time between interval (week 1 you take him out every 2-3 hours, week 2 every 4 hours). Eventually your dog will learn to hold it for a very long period of time but dont abuse it. Be fair. Every 4-5 hours is decent.

O.K. thanks for clearing that up for me = )