REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #101
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I own a Black lab, nine years old, and I love her to death. But at the end of the day, is her life worth more than a human's?

Some say "defend those who can't defend themselves", but considering that no human can ever physically and mentally put themselves in the shoes of a dog (will be heavily deabted) , why are we more concerned about them than our own species?

You see a commercial about people starving, and right away you flip the channel. You see a bear suffering and you instantly feel remorseful and disgusted? I've been to places where people receive less recognition and aid than these animals, why are you not fighting for them? I hate to see these bears go through so much anguish, but what happened to the human race?

I know in North America, your dog is your best friend. My dog is my best friend, and I'd do anything for her. But considering all morality, if I were given the choice between her and a human being, what right do I have to choose her over someone who shares the same genes as myself?

I know some of you don't agree with me, and I respect that. Morality has, and will always be, an issue of perception. What one sees as right seems wrong to another, and that takes time to change. In China, I saw the immense division between the rich and the poor. People may have wealth, but class is profoundly and evidently lacking behind the money. The human race takes time to evolve, and though harsh, people have their own beliefs and though disgusting to me, and you, their upbringing and society has shaped their view towards the world.

Nonetheless, yuck. Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"
Advertisement
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #102
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

The way i see it, for some reason most believe human life is more precious than other life on this planet. I disagree, no human has the right to exist over any other creature on this planet. Equal rights on a shared planet. When it comes to animals its always let nature play its course when it comes to humans its medicare, medications, chemo therapy anything to keep our long and pretty much pointless lives going on this planet. Its why it so easy to feel bad for the creatures of this planet, as humans are responsible for so much of the suffering on this planet.
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #103
My homepage has been set to RS

I am very angry and sad after reading this. Its one of the cruelest thing I have read in a long while. While some of you might argue animal lives are less valuable than human life, this mother bear's action is a clear demonstration of love, so to me, they are as human as we are bears.

While I do believe eating animal/meat is natural as breathing, I also believe in treating them with respect. Have you guys ever wondered why Kobe beef, specifically Waygu, taste so fucken good? It is because they are fed good food, they get groomed on a daily basis and they are respected. They also get a more humane death. So the way I see it, happy meat makes for tasty tasty meat.

Last edited by Jackygor; 08-13-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #104
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
^this true, i remember seeing somewhere, a cow that was fed with 100% natural grass rather than artificial food, and was raised in a nice prarie land with humane treatment had more positive effects on humans rather than the incarcerated cows
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #105
spammin my services for a case of stella...

seems like Chinas secrets are coming out...slowly but surely...
shame

quality > quantity
midnight_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #106

^ Most of China is still 3rd world. In fact, most of the world is 3rd world.

Ghetto ppl act ghetto. I never knew this was supposed to be a secret. Did you expect them to agonize over reading books on couches or something?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #107
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,034 Times in 174 Posts
TCM - tastes like shit
Posted via RS Mobile
fs604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #108
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplex View Post
-_-
I wished we could do that to people instead sometimes.
Keep them in cages and harvest bile from their gall bladders?

Lulwut?
Posted via RS Mobile
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
^ Most of China is still 3rd world. In fact, most of the world is 3rd world.

Ghetto ppl act ghetto. I never knew this was supposed to be a secret. Did you expect them to agonize over reading books on couches or something?
yea, I guess you have a point...still quite disappointing facts... cancerous toys, shark fins, animal cruelty ...damn whats next? human parts ‘night market’?

quality > quantity
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #110

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
This thread is seriously sad,

that fois gras video is exactly why I dont eat duck, Also when at my friends chinese wedding (im white), they served us sharkfin soup and I told them I didnt want it.

Personally if I had a choice between a caged bears life, and a starving african's life, I would chose the bear, the planet is better off in the end.

Animals are not capable of evil, but humans are. How many people do you see per day that just makes you sigh? chinese people slaughtering animals for no reason, the middle east always at war, corporate minimum wage, which is pretty much slavery ect ect...

whereas if sharks are becoming extinct, I feel a responsibility to try and save them because we are killing them, and then what happens when humans have simply consumed every fuckin species on the planet?

In the grand scheme of things, human's will always attain survival, simply by our intellect, animals can not defend themselves against us, I couldnt care less about some kid in Africa, because there are millions of them that are starving, but there are millions more constantly getting nocked up and having baby's that are starving, why should I help them if they wont help themselves? Dont think of humans as greater than any other creature, think of every animal being equal, what happens when mosquito's or frogs become overpopulated in an area? you implement measures to re-stabalize the population. When there are millions and billions of people starving in africa and india and the middle east, you dont fuckin help them, you fuckin re-stabalise them, cruel, but necessary, Humanity is a virus that needs to be controlled and stabalized, not expanded.

I firmly believe every country should have a 1 or 2 child maximum law, seeing some family's have 4 or 5 children is fuckin recidulous, we have enough people consuming this planet as it is.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #111

Thanked 1,034 Times in 174 Posts
Just watched the gordon ramsay shark video, truly a must watch.
fs604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #112
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Good for Gordon Ramsay, but he's a hippocrit. Case of a 'do as I say, not as I do."

He supports force fed Foie Gras.

Ethical foie gras v force fed - The F Word - YouTube

The Foie Gras Assembly Line - YouTube
dont buy into this hippie bullshit.
gavage is not inherently inhumane. that would be like saying killing animals for food is inhumane...it depends on the facility and the level of care put into the process.
the major foie gras purveyors in north america (hudson valley, rougie, etc..) are very caring for their product.
if you ever see how gentle they are with their ducks/geese, it is way beyond the level of care at an average mass production farm.

geese do not gag like humans. they can easily take the feedings and they have no noticeable discomfort. they literally line up to get fed, and they actually happy to do it. they dont try to get away or show any sign of being subject to any level of torture. they dont throw up from the feedings, or get sick. ducks swallow their fish whole for fuck sakes.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #113
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post

that fois gras video is exactly why I dont eat duck, Also when at my friends chinese wedding (im white), they served us sharkfin soup and I told them I didnt want it.

Personally if I had a choice between a caged bears life, and a starving african's life, I would chose the bear, the planet is better off in the end.

Animals are not capable of evil, but humans are. How many people do you see per day that just makes you sigh? chinese people slaughtering animals for no reason, the middle east always at war, corporate minimum wage, which is pretty much slavery ect ect...

whereas if sharks are becoming extinct, I feel a responsibility to try and save them because we are killing them, and then what happens when humans have simply consumed every fuckin species on the planet?

In the grand scheme of things, human's will always attain survival, simply by our intellect, animals can not defend themselves against us, I couldnt care less about some kid in Africa, because there are millions of them that are starving, but there are millions more constantly getting nocked up and having baby's that are starving, why should I help them if they wont help themselves? Dont think of humans as greater than any other creature, think of every animal being equal, what happens when mosquito's or frogs become overpopulated in an area? you implement measures to re-stabalize the population. When there are millions and billions of people starving in africa and india and the middle east, you dont fuckin help them, you fuckin re-stabalise them, cruel, but necessary, Humanity is a virus that needs to be controlled and stabalized, not expanded.

I firmly believe every country should have a 1 or 2 child maximum law, seeing some family's have 4 or 5 children is fuckin recidulous, we have enough people consuming this planet as it is.
LOL any response I have to the Africa statement is just going to come off as super racist on my part.

I've never thought of animals as being equal to humans. I consider them to be meat we haven't killed and eaten yet.

For example, if an animal is crossing the street and emergency stopping for it in my car would cause someone to rear end me or cause any sort of danger for me or my car, I'm plowing straight through that raccoon or whatever.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #114
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Of course not. The price reflects the extra amount of work and overhead that goes into producing organic fruits or vegetables.

But just like how I wouldn't pay $32 for an organic cantaloupe, I wouldn't pay the premium on fair-trade, grain-fed, free-range whatever if that premium is too high. That's what it will come down to. Are you willing to pay $8 for a cruelty free chicken breast or $4 for one where you know the chickens are raised in cramped quarters and killed in one of those machines that looks like it's from Saw. Bottom line is cost versus benefits.
The $8 one obviously tastes better than the $4. Don't tell me you can't taste the difference with free range, grain fed, etc meat
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #115

Quote:
LOL any response I have to the Africa statement is just going to come off as super racist on my part.

I've never thought of animals as being equal to humans. I consider them to be meat we haven't killed and eaten yet.

For example, if an animal is crossing the street and emergency stopping for it in my car would cause someone to rear end me or cause any sort of danger for me or my car, I'm plowing straight through that raccoon or whatever.
we will just hafto agree to disagree then,

im the complete opposite,

I'd swerve and slam on my breaks to try and save the squirel / animals life.

I'd feel so guilty if I ran something over and drove away,

whereas I would have zero guilt if I ran over an idiot or cyclist J-walking across the street.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #116

^ you are contradicting yourself when you say "think of every animal as equal" yet you would have no guilt plowing through people.
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #117

^ because people are idiots, even dogs know not to cross the street when shits going 100km/h
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #118
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
we will just hafto agree to disagree then,

im the complete opposite,

I'd swerve and slam on my breaks to try and save the squirel / animals life.

I'd feel so guilty if I ran something over and drove away,

whereas I would have zero guilt if I ran over an idiot or cyclist J-walking across the street.
So you would swerve into...like, on-coming traffic to save a squirrel? I'm not saying I'm going out there running over squirrels instead of avoiding them to save...tire tread but if avoiding them endangers my own life or the life of another human, then running them over is the more logical thing to do. First is my own safety and the safety of my passengers...then the safety of other motorists...then pedestrians and cyclists...then animals.

And I have zero guild for j-walkers or cyclists either. I agree with you. It's their own fault.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #119
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:

if you really believe this, why dont you kill yourself?

another example of the rampant hypocrisy of the "do as i say not as i do" types
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #120
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
if you really believe this, why dont you kill yourself?

another example of the rampant hypocrisy of the "do as i say not as i do" types
Do I believe humanity is an infectious plague raping the world of every resource at the expense of all other life, yes.

Would a decrease in the human population contribute positively to alleviating that plague, of course.

Should I kill myself to decrease the human population by a very small fraction of one percent, no, because living and spreading your views while living an eco-conscious life style will have a greater overall impact than committing suicide.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #121
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Do I believe humanity is an infectious plague raping the world of every resource at the expense of all other life, yes.

Would a decrease in the human population contribute positively to alleviating that plague, of course.

Should I kill myself to decrease the human population by a very small fraction of one percent, no, because living and spreading your views while living an eco-conscious life style will have a greater overall impact than committing suicide.
you should set up a cult and encourage + commit mass suicide, thus creating the greatest overall impact and "alleviating the plague," so to speak

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 08-15-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #122

Quote:
So you would swerve into...like, on-coming traffic to save a squirrel? I'm not saying I'm going out there running over squirrels instead of avoiding them to save...tire tread but if avoiding them endangers my own life or the life of another human, then running them over is the more logical thing to do. First is my own safety and the safety of my passengers...then the safety of other motorists...then pedestrians and cyclists...then animals.

And I have zero guild for j-walkers or cyclists either. I agree with you. It's their own fault.
damn I too hate cyclists and their goddamn bike lanes!!..grrrr
someone make them pay insurance!and take the riding course.

quality > quantity
Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #123

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, human's will always attain survival, simply by our intellect, animals can not defend themselves against us, I couldnt care less about some kid in Africa, because there are millions of them that are starving, but there are millions more constantly getting nocked up and having baby's that are starving, why should I help them if they wont help themselves?
Well, you're assuming they have the benefit of knowing what you know.

Differences Between Developed and Developing Countries

Quote:
Developing countries have high birth rates because
- Many parents will have a lot of children in the expectation that some will die because of the high infant mortality rate
- Large families can help in looking after the farm
- The children will be able to look after their parents if they become old or sick; there may not be a old age pension scheme
- There may be a shortage of family planning facilities and advice
In other words, not all their children will survive into adulthood and kids are their form of an RRSP.

This is basic stuff you should have learned in high school. Maybe you were slacking off like everybody else, and that's cool. But you get your education, social safety net, and healthy living conditions handed to you on a platter. Methods and reasons for contraception aren't hardwired into us when we're born, so if you were in Africa, you'd be doing the same thing they are.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #124
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:

In other words, not all their children will survive into adulthood and kids are their form of an RRSP.

This is basic stuff you should have learned in high school. Maybe you were slacking off like everybody else, and that's cool. But you get your education, social safety net, and healthy living conditions handed to you on a platter. Methods and reasons for contraception aren't hardwired into us when we're born, so if you were in Africa, you'd be doing the same thing they are.
Don't forget contraceptives like condoms and birth control pills cost money and if they don't have money for survival, why would they spend money on condoms.
HIV/AIDS in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #125

Quote:

I dont get it,

your basically aggreeing with me, they have kids because they KNOW some will not survive. Thats why I think they are stupid and shouldnt be helped,

if there was a 1 child law down there that was enforced, gradually reducing the population, there would be more resources and supplies for everyone else,

but instead they all decide to have 10 fuckin kids and may the strongest survive.

they're savages