REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #26
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
911s are made such that the owner could live with it everyday so you'd see more of them. They're also more discrete, not growling and in-your-face like Ferraris and Lambos.

Also there are a lot of Boxsters and Cayenes and those aren't supercars. All Ferarris and Lambos are supercars.

Also Porsches are known for their amazing chassis (go drive a boxster), not for their engines.
Advertisement
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
its true, most non-car enthusiast people on the road wouldnt be able to tell a difference between a regular c4 and a turbo lol
:noob:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts

all you need is a yellowbird, a race track and lots of gas and tires
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #29
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
I've always loved Porsches and their design and heritage.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
911s are made such that the owner could live with it everyday so you'd see more of them. They're also more discrete, not growling and in-your-face like Ferraris and Lambos.

Also there are a lot of Boxsters and Cayenes and those aren't supercars. All Ferarris and Lambos are supercars.

Also Porsches are known for their amazing chassis (go drive a boxster), not for their engines.
this.

infact, you wouldn't believe how many porches( 911s/panamera, the more expensive models) are used as daily drivers in Germany. I went to frankfurt in the spring and their was a 911( also dozens and dozens of cheaper models like cayennes and boxster ) in every corner and they all looked dirty and beaten lol

proof...

Last edited by donjalapeno; 08-14-2011 at 12:06 AM.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #31
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
It's because Porsches aren't that rare. You couldn't buy a 458 right now even if you tried. If you somehow managed to find a wait list that wasn't a year in, you're going to be paying upward of $300k.

...while you can walk into a Porsche dealership with a bag of money and walk out with a 911.

That and Porsches are slightly douchey. I'm not saying all Porsches are driven by douches. I know some cool people here at RS that drive Porsches but just in general, when you imagine someone with a Porsche, they're middle aged dudes that get annoyed by your pronunciation of "Porsche", regardless of how close to correct it is.

I personally don't notice Porsches, really, unless it's a classic or a CGT. 911s aren't rare. I don't even particularly think they're that exotic, especially since given the same amount of money, you could get a more interesting car.
What a stupid comparison. You're comparing availability of a 458 to a regular Carrera? Porsche has a shitload of models, which model did you try buying with a bag of cash?

And what's your thoughts on Ferrari owners with their all Ferrari attire?
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #32
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
this.

infact, you wouldn't believe how many porches( 911s/panamera, the more expensive models) are used as daily drivers in Germany. I went to frankfurt in the spring and their was a 911( also dozens and dozens of cheaper models like cayennes and boxster ) in every corner and they all looked dirty and beaten lol
Tons of 'em are used as dailies in Vancouver as well. Try being around Marine Drive @ Taylor Way during rush hour.

As to the attention angle - I guess it depends on what sort of person you are. So many people, especially on this site, go apeshit over Lamborghini, but in my opinion, they are at heart more poseur car than performance car. This is not to say that they're slow, but they are designed to attract attention and scream OMG I AM IN AN EXOTIC CAR LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(just waiting for Rich Sandor to throw his thoughts into this thread...)
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^Don't tell Marco911 he drives a COMMON car....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #34
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts

FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts

Which is the inspiration of this:

There's always the midnight porsche. The real deal is very impressive piece of kit tuned by Porsche AG (i.e. the whole car was shipped back to Porsche head quarters to have work done, and then shipped back to Japan) Kitami Jun can eat a load of dick.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
saw porsche panamera S today in brown, and was like meh nice Porsche
see orange Lamborghini gallardo (at superstore, lol), o shit a lambo!

-this was in surrey so not too many of either car around
That's the guy who owns washworld on 72nd.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #37
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
Tons of 'em are used as dailies in Vancouver as well. Try being around Marine Drive @ Taylor Way during rush hour.

As to the attention angle - I guess it depends on what sort of person you are. So many people, especially on this site, go apeshit over Lamborghini, but in my opinion, they are at heart more poseur car than performance car. This is not to say that they're slow, but they are designed to attract attention and scream OMG I AM IN AN EXOTIC CAR LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(just waiting for Rich Sandor to throw his thoughts into this thread...)
Well if I'm rich and bought I supercar I'd probly choose the one that screams OMG I AM IN AN EXOTIC CAR LOOK AT MEEEEeeeeeeeeeee! Why waste 150G+ on a car that doesn't do that. Its not like you gonna ever take that car to its limit on city streets. Heck most people with a lambo don't ever go faster on the street, then the guy in the civic that is driving his car like he stole it. Same reason why they would buy the biggest yacht, house, and private Jet they could afford.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #38
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
Well if I'm rich and bought I supercar I'd probly choose the one that screams OMG I AM IN AN EXOTIC CAR LOOK AT MEEEEeeeeeeeeeee! Why waste 150G+ on a car that doesn't do that. Its not like you gonna ever take that car to its limit on city streets. Heck most people with a lambo don't ever go faster on the street, then the guy in the civic that is driving his car like he stole it. Same reason why they would buy the biggest yacht, house, and private Jet they could afford.
Ugh, you're one of those people... Textbook definition of poseurs. Poseurs in a lambo or poseurs in a civic, both are poseurs. There are plenty people who aren't interested in people looking at them and just want to be left alone.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

If you need a car for attention a Porsche isn't for you, except there's a ton of models that will make me look twice I know of. Its an everyday car that could give alot of the exotics a serious run for their money.

And one of my all time favorite photos...

How cant that ask for attention??
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #40
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
i love both old and new. i have a huge album of 911's haha.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #41
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
* fap fap fap fap... fap fap fap fap*
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #42
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
911s aren't rare. I don't even particularly think they're that exotic, especially since given the same amount of money, you could get a more interesting car.
I'll bite: What's a more interesting car than a 911 for the same amount of $?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #43
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
All Ferarris and Lambos are supercars.
There are only a handful of Ferraris and Lambo models that aren't total garbage.

With a couple of notable exceptions, all Lambos made prior to when the company was purchased by Audi are garbage.

Ferrari F430 and up are decent...the vast majority prior to these models are crap.

Aggressive, swoopy stying doesn't = Great car.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #44
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Looks like shit sounds like shit, yep porsche. Hell even the subbies boxer sounds better to me than the porsches 6.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #45
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
ummm the R8. Looks hella better too.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Funny most people seem to think those were the ones with the most "soul". Modern lambos dont grab attention like old ones did in their prime.
Seeing the average porsche is no more "wow" than seeing a 3 series bmw.
As you can see most of the porsches people in this thread have posted arn't the kinda porsches you'd see everyday anyways.
Quote:
There are only a handful of Ferraris and Lambo models that aren't total garbage.

With a couple of notable exceptions, all Lambos made prior to when the company was purchased by Audi are garbage.

Ferrari F430 and up are decent...the vast majority prior to these models are crap.

Aggressive, swoopy stying doesn't = Great car.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #47
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
A 911 Turbo is...what...$160k? Before you get to any options?

That puts you right between the two Aston Martin Vantages with the V8 at around $130 and the V12 at $190, as one example.

You can buy two GT-Rs.

I think someone said R8. That starts at $135k.

I just don't find Porsches very interesting. They're not very unique either. You see them all the time in Vancouver. Sure, maybe they're different years but when they all look the same, I guess that doesn't matter.

That and I don't think they're very good looking. I actually find 911s sort of boring. They say the shape is classic but it looks its age against more modern, contemporary looking cars in that price range. I wouldn't buy one given the money over the other options. I'd take the Aston if I wanted something good looking. I'd buy an M5 (around the same price range...$150k for a 2012?) if I wanted a supercar in a family car body.

That and I don't know how I would ever justify buying a 911 Turbo over a GT-R which is just as quick, if not quicker, produces pretty much the same numbers and cost half as much...or about as much as a base model 911.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #48
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts

VW Beetle 2011, finally received treatment in the style of the Porsche 911 GT3 RS | car modifications
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #49
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

One of the coolest men drove this one. Porsche makes great sports car that are built for everyday driving, switchbacks and laps at the track...more importantly, they are accessible to not just the ultra-rich.

To me, the lack of attention one might get while driving one is a plus.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #50
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
That and I don't know how I would ever justify buying a 911 Turbo over a GT-R which is just as quick, if not quicker, produces pretty much the same numbers and cost half as much...or about as much as a base model 911.
Maybe they have fixed the gear box now, but somehow I don't find Nissan cars too reliable, including the GT-R, with that clunky drive train which isn't particularly confidence inspiring. Safety is actually another consideration, as well as interior fit and finish. I don't need nappa leather everywhere but the car must not smell too much like plastic if priced at $100k.

At the end of the day, like someone who said earlier, Porsche cars are for enthusiasts who want a reliable, solid piece of German engineering which is fairly economical to maintain. Many Porsche 911 or Boxster owners put on snow tires and drive their car all year round.

They find them relatively cheap and practical, it is the wrong car if you want the maximum curb appeal. The lack of attention is a strength for those who enjoy speeding a little.

But then, some will prefer far louder, less common cars such as Aston Martins which really is to my opinion, more of a showoff car, similar to Maserati. Lots of money for the unique factor but little performance for the dollar.

Of course, the same people would have their sports cars orange, white, yellow or red too. Or with a matte finish, or with super loud exhaust and hello kitty headrests...
observer is offline   Reply With Quote