REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #26
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
M60 V8 have a history of problems.. you can actually still find ones with old blocks running around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
get this 530i. Doesn't matter what model car it is, use what is specified. I believe it is 89 octane required.

BMW 530

pros:
-BMW individual
-automatic (the 5hp18 is probably the better of the autos that came in the e34 chassis)
-32 valve V8 (its going to be more economical than a m30 535i, but worse than an 525 for sure)
-local BC car

cons:
-maintenance costs (its a bmw, and its a V8. Its gonna cost you)
-fuel consumption (its a pig in the city, and decent on the highway)
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,545
Thanked 5,086 Times in 1,625 Posts
1991 BMW 5-Series 10th Anniversary Motorsport Edition Sedan E34 - Langley Cars For Sale - Kijiji Langley Canada.

I think this suits your criterion almost perfectly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
1999 Mazda Miata - FOR SALE (See Listing)
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #28
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Mr.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I had emailed him already, but thanks. No traction control is a backbreaker. At that price point, I'd rather import one myself and save a few thousand.

@guy who said to bring it from Europe: I considered that.

But it would be ~2-3000 to ship to Montreal, then I'd have to ship it here. Way more expensive than Japan.

I've found that people for some reason think they are entitled to a 50-60% markup when selling a car imported from Japan. Yeah right.

Last edited by Mr.C; 08-23-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
skylinergtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 569
Thanked 279 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
M60 V8 have a history of problems.. you can actually still find ones with old blocks running around.
that statement is false:

the nikasil engine blocks were mainly affected in the United States for their high sulfur content in gas (mainly california).

Canada hardly had that many engines failing.

majority of the cars have had their engine replaced under the BMW extended warrenty (10 years/160,000kms).

You can tell the engine has been replaced just by the serial number located on the block:

M60B30:
1 725 970 - Nikasil
1 741 212 - Nikasil
1 745 871 - Alusil

M60B40:
1 725 963 - Nikasil
1 742 998 - Nikasil
1 745 872 - Alusil


Even if the engine is still the original Nikasil Block, if it runs good, and compression shows that the engine is in good health. It will not have any problems later down the road with loss of compression due to the cylinder lining. In fact, good running nikasil engines have been proven to provide better dyno results for better power compared to a alusil engine.

The M60 is a pretty bulletproof engine in my opinion. It was meant to basically not be open and last in the ballpark of 300,000-500,000kms.

You want an automatic car, well with a 525 or a 535 you are bound to need an automatic transmission rebuilt down the road. The GM 525i transmissions are known to be garbage, as well as the 4hp22 535i transmission. The 5hp18 in the 530i is the reliable of the bunch in the E34 chassic. The 5hp30 in the 540i is also a decent transmission, but is likely to a valve body flaw.

The way I see it, is the M60 engine is no different to an i6 engine in terms of reliability. They all need a coolant system overhaul to be done, thats for sure.
__________________
-Rod

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,838
Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
I've owned both and would only consider a 535 5 speed again or the very rare 540 5 speed. the 535 is notably faster then the 525 and parts are no more difficult to obtain nor are they more expensive.
Tell your missus its time to learn how to drive. All the cool girls can handle stick.
__________________
Rise Auto Salon

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More


We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
What do you think you've got here a 500hp drift machine? Throw some pilots on there and good luck breaking traction in that old boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I had emailed him already, but thanks. No traction control is a backbreaker. At that price point, I'd rather import one myself and save a few thousand.

@guy who said to bring it from Europe: I considered that.

But it would be ~2-3000 to ship to Montreal, then I'd have to ship it here. Way more expensive than Japan.

I've found that people for some reason think they are entitled to a 50-60% markup when selling a car imported from Japan. Yeah right.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
G'd up! w000weee
 
mmmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,140
Thanked 225 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
What do you think you've got here a 500hp drift machine? Throw some pilots on there and good luck breaking traction in that old boat.
I agree.

Traction control rarely comes on anyways unless you're driving your car in the snow. However, if you drive your car in the snow, I'd suggest winter tires anyways.
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #33
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
My understanding is the e34 import numbers are far higher in the US than Canada. We know places like Anacortes supplies gasoline to the Pacific NW region including BC. Hence less Canada cars failing can probably be due to sampling more than anything else.

It is also my understanding that the OP is going for a JDM car. Japan uses low sulphur because their gas comes directly from the Middle East via Singapore.

BMW Extended warranty won't cover JDM cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
that statement is false:

the nikasil engine blocks were mainly affected in the United States for their high sulfur content in gas (mainly california).

Canada hardly had that many engines failing.

majority of the cars have had their engine replaced under the BMW extended warrenty (10 years/160,000kms).

You can tell the engine has been replaced just by the serial number located on the block:

M60B30:
1 725 970 - Nikasil
1 741 212 - Nikasil
1 745 871 - Alusil

M60B40:
1 725 963 - Nikasil
1 742 998 - Nikasil
1 745 872 - Alusil


Even if the engine is still the original Nikasil Block, if it runs good, and compression shows that the engine is in good health. It will not have any problems later down the road with loss of compression due to the cylinder lining. In fact, good running nikasil engines have been proven to provide better dyno results for better power compared to a alusil engine.

The M60 is a pretty bulletproof engine in my opinion. It was meant to basically not be open and last in the ballpark of 300,000-500,000kms.

You want an automatic car, well with a 525 or a 535 you are bound to need an automatic transmission rebuilt down the road. The GM 525i transmissions are known to be garbage, as well as the 4hp22 535i transmission. The 5hp18 in the 530i is the reliable of the bunch in the E34 chassic. The 5hp30 in the 540i is also a decent transmission, but is likely to a valve body flaw.

The way I see it, is the M60 engine is no different to an i6 engine in terms of reliability. They all need a coolant system overhaul to be done, thats for sure.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Mr.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
I'm looking at a 535iA now. No traction control, but I'll just suck it up and learn how to drive in the snow, if it ever happens.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #35
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Best traction control in the winter is winter tires. Even the cheapest walmart brand is better than all seasons.

If you can spend a bit more ,get a quaife diff. I love mine in my e46.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I'm looking at a 535iA now. No traction control, but I'll just suck it up and learn how to drive in the snow, if it ever happens.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #36
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,397
Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
I used to own a mint '92 JDM RHD E34 535iA. DiamantSchwarz-Metallic. It had 77,xxx KMs on it when I sold it. Belongs to a guy on the island now, he's on IVOAC. Damn I miss that car. Only wish it had a sunroof.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #37
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
skylinergtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 569
Thanked 279 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I'm looking at a 535iA now. No traction control, but I'll just suck it up and learn how to drive in the snow, if it ever happens.
if you have traction control, then add winter tires.

if no traction control, get an LSD differential and snow tires.

With either of these combos, these cars are quite impressive in the snow. I personally have not driven much in the snow with my E34, but these cars are common in euro countrys. There is plenty of talk to how they are great in the snow with appropriate gear due to the very close to 50/50 weight distribution.

Good luck!
__________________
-Rod

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #38
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
GabAlmighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Posts: 5,320
Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,240 Posts
Lol, traction control.
__________________
'16 Ram 1500
'85 Corolla
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #39
I don't get it
 
bloodline129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 433
Thanked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Don't do it, I dealt with few imports of BMW outta Japan n boy did I get problems... Price is right but the safety inspection is gonna kill you, oh n they mostly come with blown head gasket n a sealer until u change the fkn oil
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,108
Thanked 6,920 Times in 1,327 Posts
Traction control = a smaller throttle body before the throttle body.
It doesn't do shit on snow. Please get LSD and snow tires
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #41
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,545
Thanked 5,086 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
It doesn't do shit on snow. Please get LSD and snow tires
+infinity!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
1999 Mazda Miata - FOR SALE (See Listing)
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #42
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Mr.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
if you have traction control, then add winter tires.

if no traction control, get an LSD differential and snow tires.

With either of these combos, these cars are quite impressive in the snow. I personally have not driven much in the snow with my E34, but these cars are common in euro countrys. There is plenty of talk to how they are great in the snow with appropriate gear due to the very close to 50/50 weight distribution.

Good luck!
links? I suck at driving, and I'm having second thoughts. The one i'm looking at doesn't have an LSD. How would I go about swapping one in, and how much would it cost?
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #43
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
Buy a god damn volvo , suck at driving you`ll need it so the rest of us can spot u from a distance on the road.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #44
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Mr.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Buy a god damn volvo , suck at driving you`ll need it so the rest of us can spot u from a distance on the road.
At least I admit it.

How many people, especially on here, admit they aren't good enough to drive a RWD car with no traction control nor LSD in the snow, even with proper tires?

I'll pass on the "god damn Volvo", unless it's a 1995 T5R on the cheap.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #45
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,108
Thanked 6,920 Times in 1,327 Posts
it needs no special skill to drive a E34, beside the car itself and the steering wheel are heavy, it's a good car to begin with.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #46
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
N.gen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 568
Thanked 58 Times in 15 Posts
mmmmm
N.gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #47
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
skylinergtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 569
Thanked 279 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
links? I suck at driving, and I'm having second thoughts. The one i'm looking at doesn't have an LSD. How would I go about swapping one in, and how much would it cost?
depending on the ratio you want (or preferred), and LSD differential is probably around $250-$400. Labour is about a few hours at a local shop.
__________________
-Rod

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #48
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Mr.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
depending on the ratio you want (or preferred), and LSD differential is probably around $250-$400. Labour is about a few hours at a local shop.
I found a decent looking one for sale. A chipped 525i, looks decent, tons of upgrades. Won't look as nice, but I guess I can always pick up bits and pieces later.

Where should I go to get body kits painted and installed?
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,310
Thanked 580 Times in 230 Posts
850R wagon is the way to go. Wife will love the extra room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
At least I admit it.

How many people, especially on here, admit they aren't good enough to drive a RWD car with no traction control nor LSD in the snow, even with proper tires?

I'll pass on the "god damn Volvo", unless it's a 1995 T5R on the cheap.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net