REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Busters crushes wrong car by mistake (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652231-busters-crushes-wrong-car-mistake.html)

sebberry 08-23-2011 05:16 PM

Busters crushes wrong car by mistake

This is really rich...

A B.C. man paid a very big price for drinking and driving, after his vehicle was not only impounded but literally pounded as well.

Quote:

Theodore Gray called CTV News after a mix-up with a towing company left him taking transit to work and fighting to get compensated for the loss of his vehicle.

Gray's troubles began when he got caught drinking and driving and had his vehicle seized by police.

[...]

Article link

Brianrietta 08-23-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Busters is offering to pay him the black book value for a '92 Tercel, which is $800.

But Gray says his car was worth about $6,000 and he has the bills to prove it.

It's Petrokov all over again! http://www.revscene.net/forums/19708...hatchback.html

vitaminG 08-23-2011 05:44 PM

800 is a little low, although 6000 is a joke.

They should just give him the car they were supposed to crush.

wing_woo 08-24-2011 08:24 AM

The only thing I don't agree with the owner is the fact that he claims his car is worth $6000. Even the last Tercel's in 1999 are not worth $6000. Maybe he paid $6000 for it, but it's definitely not worth $6000. ICBC had offered him around $1300 which is a reasonable price for a 1992 Tercel unless he had very very low mileage and not a spot of rust on it.

Shugoy 08-24-2011 08:36 AM

wow that sucks bad, ^ and yah i think icbc's price was prob spot on its just its like that with all cars imo you never get what u invest =S

gars 08-24-2011 08:39 AM

Even if it had low mileage and not a spot of rust on it, it's still a 20 year old car. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for it.

taylor192 08-24-2011 09:07 AM

They owe him what the car is worth, plus the time/effort to acquire a new car. I'd be asking for rental car costs at the very least as well.

Limitless 08-24-2011 09:07 AM

Lmao $6000...

sebberry 08-24-2011 02:03 PM

I see everyone is missing the point as usual. Carry on :)

taylor192 08-24-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7556347)
I see everyone is missing the point as usual. Carry on :)

No-one gets your points anyways, you're usually off in your own land of fairy tales and pixie dust. :D

So what's the point? Drunk guy got his car crushed, seems like some good does come of this new system! :D

gars 08-24-2011 02:20 PM

The headlines could have read "Busters crushes wrong car, Man seeks to make money off mistake"

or

"Busters is still the most hated company in the city"

sebberry 08-24-2011 02:34 PM

The point is that the penalties for .05 does not include having your car crushed.

As for the value of the car - when you factor in maintenance, etc.. it's always worth more to the owner than the blue book value. This needs to be considered when Busters determines how much money to give the guy.

wing_woo 08-24-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7556381)
The point is that the penalties for .05 does not include having your car crushed.

As for the value of the car - when you factor in maintenance, etc.. it's always worth more to the owner than the blue book value. This needs to be considered when Busters determines how much money to give the guy.

This would be an ICBC case and they don't determine the value of your vehicle based on the blue book value. Dealers use that to determine how much to give you on a trade in.

ICBC will take into consideration any recent maintenance you did on your vehicle if you have receipts to prove it. The person isn't supposed to make any money off of the issue which it seems like what he wants to do by saying his vehicle is worth $6000.

ICBC is only required to pay you the amount it would cost you to replace the vehicle with the exact same one you lost.

This is the same situation of if you parked your car on the street and got totalled by a truck because you had a few drinks and parked your car so you can pick it up next day instead of driving home over the limit. It's an accident.

When my mom's car was totalled, she had bought a new set of tires the month before. ICBC actually factored that in and added the cost of new tires to the settlement claim so ICBC does take maintenance of your vehicle into consideration when paying out for total loss vehicles.

sebberry 08-24-2011 04:03 PM

In my perfect world, Busters would be held criminally liable. Busters was trusted to store the car and return it in the same condition, but instead through negligence took it to the crusher.

At the very least, the tow truck driver should be fined and fired.

twitchyzero 08-24-2011 04:31 PM

that car is worth $800...anyone who thinks otherwise needs to wake up and realized we're past 2008

gars 08-24-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7556488)
In my perfect world, Busters would be held criminally liable. Busters was trusted to store the car and return it in the same condition, but instead through negligence took it to the crusher.

The thing is - a mistake was made by Busters. The same mistake could have been made if he had parked illegally and had his car towed. Should the towing of illegally parked cars be questioned if that were to happen?

taylor192 08-25-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7556488)

More fairy tales and pixie dust.

In a perfect world blowing a warn would be a criminal charge, then whatever happens to the car afterwards wouldn't matter as it could get seized by the police.

Its a mistake, shit happens. If it were may car I'd be pissed, yet if they gave me the value of the car, mods, and recent maintenance with an allotment for a rental car until I can acquire a new ride I'd be happy.

melloman 08-25-2011 10:29 AM

^^ Yup in a perfect world...

Where ICBC wouldn't fucking exist.

sebberry 08-25-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7557204)
Its a mistake, shit happens. If it were may car I'd be pissed, yet if they gave me the value of the car, mods, and recent maintenance with an allotment for a rental car until I can acquire a new ride I'd be happy.

It's a pretty big cock-up. Someone needs to be fired for it. The only reason this hasn't sparked more outrage is because the car is 20 years old.

They don't make what I drive anymore. Most of the used ones available aren't in good shape. Finding a replacement for my car would be damn near impossible.

I'd be beyond pissed if there was a radar gun/ASD error, my car got impounded as a result and subsequently crushed. I've never been one to seek revenge, but that would put me pretty damn close.

sebberry 08-25-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 7557373)
^^ Yup in a perfect world...

Where ICBC wouldn't fucking exist.

And you think private insurance is a better way to go? HA!

melloman 08-25-2011 10:46 AM

The only downside to private insurance is if YOUR AN IDIOT.

If you physically cause the accident then you get hit hard.. but if your just the victim your still golden. Show me a case that differs from this.

Private insurance can also be shopped around for.. your can get all your 3rd party stuff from a different company without all the headaches if you try it with ICBC.

taylor192 08-25-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7557392)
It's a pretty big cock-up. Someone needs to be fired for it. The only reason this hasn't sparked more outrage is because the car is 20 years old.

They don't make what I drive anymore. Most of the used ones available aren't in good shape. Finding a replacement for my car would be damn near impossible.

My parents have the same issue with their Corvettes, they would be next to impossible to replace if written off in an accident that is not their fault. If they get into a not-at-fault accident they get a cheque, and then have to find another vehicle, no different than this case.

Suck it up buttercup that's how insurance works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7557392)
I'd be beyond pissed if there was a radar gun/ASD error, my car got impounded as a result and subsequently crushed. I've never been one to seek revenge, but that would put me pretty damn close.

Save the drama for your mama. The tolerances are set high enough that anyone cause in excessive speed or blowing a warn are beyond the mistake of any device.

sebberry 08-25-2011 10:54 AM

I don't know how old you are or what you drive, but get some insurance quotes for Toronto. You can do it online. Every time I did it the private rates are much, much higher than in BC.

gars 08-25-2011 11:29 AM

considering most of the people on Revscene are young males driving faster cars, private insurance is definitely going to be more expensive. As well - private insurance usually goes up if you get moving violations - that's why a lot of people in the states will lawyer up just for a speeding ticket, because it's worth it to pay the lawyer fees rather than higher insurance.

taylor192 08-25-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7557411)
I don't know how old you are or what you drive, but get some insurance quotes for Toronto. You can do it online. Every time I did it the private rates are much, much higher than in BC.

My parents pay less than $1000 for 4 vehicles in Ontario, cause they are 60 with very long clean driving records.

My little brother paid $3000 in Ontario for motorcycle insurance his first year, while I paid $1200 in BC on similar bikes (my bike is actually larger displacement) with similar ages and driving records.

I was paying $1200 for full coverage on my car in Ontario, even with an at-fault accident in the last 5 years. The lowest quote I found in BC added up to $1800.

Thus it is all relative, hard to generalize across the board.