REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

ICBC Claim

So I crashed a particular motorcycle in a corner (single vehicle accident). 2nd accident, first one I didn't claim and fixed it myself.

Now, the bike is 500km from Langley where I reside, so it'll take money to bring it back here, get a proper estimate (i still don't know how much the estimate is) of how much it'll cost to fix, but I digress.

I might make a claim since the damages look really bad. I paid (let's say) $6,000 out the door, but I declared the value at $4,700 (I assumed declared value was excluding tax/freight).

Anyways, my problem is I don't know how much they'll give me. I hear ICBC's first offers are low-balls (but one ICBC lady said my declared value minus the deductible is what I'll get), and it's possible to negotiate. Is this true? I have yet to speak to my adjuster (I will next week, hopefully).

Also, does anyone know if it's possible for Premiums to go down without having a bike/vehicle insured? Coz I know new drivers (Learners) without vehicles insured under their name still accumulate yearly discounts.

So if I claim and my insurance goes up 45%, i can grab the money and get a family member to insure my next vehicle (probably a car, might just ride on track, street's too unpredictable), will my insurance premium rates gradually go down even if i don't have a vehicle insured under my name?
Advertisement
imbty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
same thing as a car. Compare prices with simular bikes for sale and insurance will work the same as well.

What ever you do don't buy another bike sounds like you will kill your self on one if you get another.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
same thing as a car. Compare prices with simular bikes for sale and insurance will work the same as well.

What ever you do don't buy another bike sounds like you will kill your self on one if you get another.

Yea. I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to continue riding in the street.

At the moment, I don't have a car and won't be able to drive (I'm still on my Learner's stage) so having a bike again ASAP would be nice, but I think it would be wise to just wait till next season before I decide if I want a street bike or not.

I'm pretty confident that I don't want to give up riding altogether though. I might just have to take it to the track.

Any advice for being low-balled by ICBC? Can I even persuade ICBC to tow my bike to an actual dealer (maybe one in Vancouver, rather than in Kelowna) to get a real estimate of what needs to be fixed to get the bike in legal/safe running order?
imbty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Do your research and have it with you when talking to your adjuster. Have a bunch of prices of what ppl are selling their same model bike for
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
I'm invisible

After 3 years from the ICBC charge date, you will either go back to base rate, or you'll will back to the same discount right now. Even if you don't insure anything...
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
After 3 years from the ICBC charge date, you will either go back to base rate, or you'll will back to the same discount right now. Even if you don't insure anything...
You sure there are two options (back to 0 or back to current discount level)
I was under the impression that it is back to 0 % discount once the surcharge disappears
Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

It depends on what level you were on before. For example, I got caught in the snow a few yrs ago and I had to make a claim, I was at 30% but after the claim I went up 3 levels so went to a 15% for 3 years but this year I go back to 30% which is where I was at before. I think he was trying to say if you were at 0%discount and you make a claim, you go to a surcharge of +20% or something, you go back to 0
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
I'm invisible

If you are at base rate or at a surcharge when the claim happens, you have the base rate rule: No matter how high your surcharge is before the claim, after 3 years you will go back to base rate (assuming no more new additional claims).

For example, lets say your at base rate (0%).

You get into 1 accident:
Today:+6 steps = +6(75% surcharge on "no discount" premiums)
Next year: = +5(55%)
Year after: = +4(40%)
Year after that: = base rate (0%).

If your are -6(30%) discount and 1 claim happens...

today: +5 steps = -1(5%)
Next Year: -2(10%)
Year after: -3(15%)
Year after that -6(30%) recovery rule (also assuming no new additional claims)

The claim does not disappear, it stays on your record for 20 years.
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan-insuran...-costs/crs.pdf

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 08-31-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote