REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

insurance price goes up from a accident not my fault?

so i was rear ended, i made a claim.. and now my insurance price is up...

let me get this straight, if i get hit 100% not my fault, and i make a claim... my insurance prices still goes up?? even though its my 100% not my fault?

doesnt sound fair to me... my mom told me this but i think its bs...
Advertisement
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
No if it's not your fault your rates should not be going up. Sometimes they do shit like that and hope it just goes through. Call ICBC and ask them directly. Don't listen to your insurance agent because half the time they have no fucking clue what they are talking about. All the insurance agent has is what is in the computer and what is in the computer all comes from ICBC. I had this exact same situation and only through talking with ICBC directly was I able to get the raised insurance cost nullified and the proper rate scale applied.

Berz out.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

yup no way in hell should you be paying more for something thats not your fault...

i am still wondering why my damn insurance went up.. i geuss i will have to talk to icbc..
Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
1. Did ICBC *tell* you they deemed you not at fault, or did you just assume it because you were rear-ended?

2. How do you know your claim is the reason for your rate increase?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

well when i got hit i didnt have insurance, i completely forgot to re insure.. i was called up by icbc and asked if i was driving the vehicle that i was in at the time of the accident and i said yeah, they told me that, that car was not insured and at the point i just knew i forgot to reinsure the car... completely stupid, my birthday and getting my class 5 mixed me up..

so for number 1. i asked them if i would be at fault since i forgot to insure the car, they said no i was fine since she had insurance, i asked if my discount would decrease and she said no, in the end i got a check for around $225 since the damage was so small..

2. i have no idea if the claim is the reason why my insurance rate increased, it just increased when it should of decreased since i just got my class 5 befor i renewed my insurance.. reason why i thought it was the claim is cause my mom told me thats why my insurance price increased, she said even though i was not at fault 100% and i claimed, my insurance will still go up... i told her no... but after she said that i did not know what to beleive so i posted here..

edit- another question, my mom is using a car that is under my name(ownership) and i think insurance is under my name to but she is the princable driver, she did this so she could get cheaper insurance since there it is a second car under my name... i told her my insurance increased because one of the sisters in the family probably got into a accident with the car she uses..

so question is, if someone got into an accident with the car she is using, would my insurance go up? my sisters sometimes uses my moms car, and yeah you know women.. i think thats why it went up.. my mom insured the car with my insurance(but shes princable driver) without my consent.. dont know how she did it, probably her insurance guy..

pretty confusing story, hope you guys understand it, but just to be clear there are 2 cars, both under my name, the car i use my self i do not let anyone else drive.. the second car is my moms car which she lets my sisters use but it is currently under my name(ownership and insurance i think just that she is princable driver)..

Last edited by gretzky; 08-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Good thing you didn't have any serious accidents while uninsured. Had you hit a lawyer or a kid, your life would be over. Hope you're buying 3 million~ but to answer your question, yes, it went up because claims were made on your second car.
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
i have no idea if the claim is the reason why my insurance rate increased, it just increased when it should of decreased
Then why are you ASSuming it has anything to do with your accident?

If it was, it would show on your insurance papers as a change in the Claim Rated Scale. Maybe rates have just gone up for your area/car type/group/etc. Maybe some other aspect of your coverage has changed (deductible, liability, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote