REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Yaris owners, current or previous, in here!

Ok, so I'm looking for a 'new' daily driver. I already have a fun weekend car, so I'm not looking for some high hp beast... enter the Yaris

I'll be looking for a sedan, w/manual, most likely '07+

How do you guys like them? Treat you well? From what I've been reading, they're pretty low maintenance. My g/f had a 97 Tercel, and that car seemed bulletproof (the motor anyway ) So if the Yaris is even close reliability wise, then I'm sold. Few questions though...

I haven't sat in one for a looooong time. How much room is there for bigger dudes? I'm by no means fat, but I am 6'1", so some legroom would be nice...

Gas mileage. I'm sure it's good, but how many kms on average are you guys getting??

Any suggestions, or expeirences, would be great
Advertisement
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i think you'll be better off with a corolla or if you can spend a little more get a matrix...
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I drive an 07 yaris. goes from a to b, and its cheap on gas. I used to drive a corolla before, and I find the yaris a bit lighter and better on corners.

the only thing that will take time getting used to is the display panel is in the center of the dashboard.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Yeah, the key here is CHEAP, lol. Yes, a Corolla or Matrix would be better... but defeats the purpose of cheap a-b transportation.

Yaris is cheap to buy, maintain, insure (anyone want to chime in here?), and awesome on gas.

vafanculo, what's the leg room like?
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Lol had leg room all typed out on my iPhone but it got erased.

Drivers seat is fine. Passenger can be a lil uncomfortable if you are a bigger guy. Back seats are fine.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Ask hyde
Posted via RS Mobile
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I have a '07 sedan 5-speed. Driver's leg room requires getting used to but not uncomfortable. Might have to awkwardly reach out to the steering wheel since it doesn't telescope, so depending how far you slide the seat forward your driving position may feel awkward. Foot room is limited so it's hard to heel and toe. Front passenger's left knee may get in the way of fifth gear. Sedan also has decent leg room at the back for two passengers your size; rear headroom is limited. Most days I really enjoy it - frugal, responsive mid-range, tossable - other days it feels asthmatic. Here's my fuel log since 2006. Fuel economy varies from 32 - 40 MPG US depending on your right foot.
ah yum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

had a yaris / fit from work.. imo, fuel economy was similar, but the fit hatch can hold much more and it had better driving impressions. yaris had a spongy marshmallow suspension vs the sporty one on the it. i liked driving the fit more
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed View Post
Ok, so I'm looking for a 'new' daily driver. I already have a fun weekend car, so I'm not looking for some high hp beast... enter the Yaris

How do you guys like them? Treat you well? From what I've been reading, they're pretty low maintenance. My g/f had a 97 Tercel, and that car seemed bulletproof (the motor anyway ) So if the Yaris is even close reliability wise, then I'm sold. Few questions though...

I haven't sat in one for a looooong time. How much room is there for bigger dudes? I'm by no means fat, but I am 6'1", so some legroom would be nice...

Gas mileage. I'm sure it's good, but how many kms on average are you guys getting??

There is tons of leg room if your 6'1. Im 6'1 and a big dude and i have no problem slippin in and out of them (I work for toyota, hence why I do all the slippin)
Fuel economy is great, but I cant tell you how great. I would need a pie chart to show off how great.
The comment about the hardest thing to get used to is the center dash cluster is spot on. Its in the middle. Its a bit different.
I do find they are a bit low geared for the hwy, anything over 110 in the mountains and it hunts for the right gear a little bit. Other than that I would not hesitate to own & operate one daily
rs420 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed View Post

It treats me very well. Extremely low maintenance. The only thing that could possible be even remotely troublesome about it mechanically is the sub par water pumps Toyota puts in them (which is an issue for other models as well, Corolla, matrix etc.). There's enough room for you. The inside is a lot more spacious than the exterior makes it look to be. Mileage is great. I get about 7.5(+/-)L/100km. I never fill it full. Drop in half a tank at a time.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote