REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
MVA 146 (1)

Just dug up a 2 month old traffic ticket of mine that I had already delivered a notice of dispute for, I decided to take a look at what the offence actually was.

Quote:
146 (1) Subject to this section, a person must not drive or operate a motor vehicle on a highway in a municipality or treaty lands at a greater rate of speed than 50 km/h, and a person must not drive or operate a motor vehicle on a highway outside a municipality at a greater rate of speed than 80 km/h.
This is a direct quote from the BCLaws.ca document and it's all that is under 146 (1)

Link

On Alderbridge Way where I was ticketed between garden city and no. 4
the speed limit is 60km/h, 146 (1) says you must not drive at a greater rate of 50km/h and nothing more, does this mean the offence is inaccurate?

Google Street View Link

The reason I decided to dispute this ticket was because I know for certain that I was not speeding at the time, when I was ticketed I was still in first gear and my car cuts off at 50km/h exactly in 1st gear, the officer also didn't radar me and was unable to tell me how fast I was going when he pulled me over. Regardless, I am just wondering about the wording of 146 (1) and the fact that the posted speed limit was above 50km/h
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

That section you quoted is a default speed limit when there are no other signs posted. The posted sign is the speed you do.

What clocked speed was indicated on the ticket?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
That section you quoted is a default speed limit when there are no other signs posted. The posted sign is the speed you do.

What clocked speed was indicated on the ticket?
There is no clocked speed on the ticket

146 (1) doesn't say anything about posted speeds though which was why I was curious, the wording is poor, I know it is common sense but would that be a valid point to make? Is there another 146 (1) out there? lol
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Read the next subsection:
Quote:
146 (1) Subject to this section, a person must not drive or operate a motor vehicle on a highway in a municipality or treaty lands at a greater rate of speed than 50 km/h, and a person must not drive or operate a motor vehicle on a highway outside a municipality at a greater rate of speed than 80 km/h.

(2) The minister responsible for the administration of the Transportation Act may, by causing a sign to be erected or placed on a highway limiting the rate of speed of motor vehicles or a category of motor vehicles driven or operated on that portion of the highway, increase or decrease the rate of speed at which a person may drive or operate a motor vehicle or a category of motor vehicle on that portion of the highway.
There are 9 more subsections that deal with exceptions to (1).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Read the next subsection:

There are 9 more subsections that deal with exceptions to (1).
wouldn't that be a different offence? shouldn't there be a difference between an officer writing an offence for 146 (2/3/etc) and 146 (1)?

Sorry this is my first ticket and I don't know much about them, and the RS search bar doesn't really help me
Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
146 as a whole deals with speed limits in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
146 as a whole deals with speed limits in general.
I understand that but he wrote me up a ticket for 146 (1) explicitly,
It's a very different offence compared to something like 146 (11), it just seems like when something is explicitly stated on the ticket it should be that offence explicitly, not in general, not sure if "in general" holds water in court

Quote:
(11) A person must not drive or operate a motor vehicle on a lane in a municipality that has enacted a bylaw under subsection (8) or in the treaty lands of a treaty first nation that has enacted a law having the same effect at a greater rate of speed than 20 km/h.

Last edited by ilvtofu; 09-04-2011 at 05:38 PM.