REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
We have a large koi pond in our backyard with very expensive fish. We also have a dog that roams the yard all throughout the day. After we realized that the racoons were eating our fish and that our dog was chasing them late at night, we decided to take action to get rid of them.

Our neighborhood is not suspect to these kinds of animals but I believe our pond attracts a variety of new animals including raccoons/possums and several LARGE Cranes. We didn't want to lose our fish as I said, they're about $50-$100 each and we certainly didn't want our dog to get injured.

The solution was simple, go around the yard to make sure there aren't any areas where these racoons could nest. We have a fire pit and would stack wood against our fence. This appeared to be a nesting area so we got rid of it.

Secondly, we got the urine of an animal that is a natural predator...We obtained wolf urine from a pest control company and generously sprayed it all over the yard...

Almost 5 months later and all my Koi are still there and my dog no longer runs after wild animals in the middle of the night.
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
Hyde's Understudy

^ the wolf urine must made your dog scared shitless too lol
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
wolf urine.. wow.. wouldn't have thought about that.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
.... i was about to shoot them with my bb rifle, but my friend said that might not exactly be legal. ..
how about slingshot? or is it illegal to shoot at animals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Slingshots are considered illegal weapons as far as I'm aware.

And yes, it is illegal to shoot at animals.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #32
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Slingshots are considered illegal weapons as far as I'm aware...
are you serious? I made my own slingshot with tree branches like calvin and hobbes and went around shoot anything in sight when I was a kid ... lucky I've stopped after growing up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #33
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
are you serious? I made my own slingshot with tree branches like calvin and hobbes and went around shoot anything in sight when I was a kid ... lucky I've stopped after growing up ...
I believe they are illegal in the City of Vancouver but I don't know if that is still the case and if it extends to other cities/municipals.

This is why you don't really see any for sale at stores. I recall this being a fact because I went to the VPD Police Museum recently.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #34
Founder, RS Veteran

i woke up one time thing it was a robber on my deck but it was two raccoons. They were huge! Anyhow, I have a plum tree and they were eating the plums that had fallen on the ground and were searching for more food. I just turned on the outdoor light and it scared them away... get rid of the food source = no more raccoons.

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I think its Raccoons that are eating the grease out of my grease bucket under the BBQ, that is one plus.

However their shit is like tar. For a while they were crapping in the same area of my yard. So I bought this motion detector water sprinkler and that sold that problem. It will spray a good 35'-40'. Runs on a 9V battery. However now that its getting near freezing overnight I have put it away for the winter. Just remember to turn it off when you go in yard lol.
satanshollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #36
HELP ME PLS!!!

I know in Kelowna, when they had that rabbit problem, it was legal to shoot them because they were considered as pests.

It's probably better to ask city hall what policy is when dealing with raccoons.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I have the same problem except with neighbourhood cats. There are 2-3 that roam the yards mine included. I have a dog who tries and gets them when he's outside but there smarter then he is.

I was going to shoot them with my paintball gun as they will sit on my fence at times but then after some thought I realized that probably wouldn't be the best action. They shit in my yard at times which anoys me and they agitate my dog.

It ticks me off people are so irresponsible to let their animals roam like that. If I catch them I'm just going to grab them, crate them and drop them at the SPCA. At the very least it's going to cost the owners lots of $$$ to get them back.

Racoons aren't owned so I don't think that solution will work.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I have the same problem except with neighbourhood cats. There are 2-3 that roam the yards mine included. I have a dog who tries and gets them when he's outside but there smarter then he is.

I was going to shoot them with my paintball gun as they will sit on my fence at times but then after some thought I realized that probably wouldn't be the best action. They shit in my yard at times which anoys me and they agitate my dog.

It ticks me off people are so irresponsible to let their animals roam like that. If I catch them I'm just going to grab them, crate them and drop them at the SPCA. At the very least it's going to cost the owners lots of $$$ to get them back.

Racoons aren't owned so I don't think that solution will work.
1. What harm are the cats causing your dog, if any?

2. Your first option was to shoot them with your paintball gun rather than looking for deterrents such as scent deterrents and/or decoys?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
1. What harm are the cats causing your dog, if any?

2. Your first option was to shoot them with your paintball gun rather than looking for deterrents such as scent deterrents and/or decoys?
They are agitating him making him bark he doesn't like them in his yard as you probably know most dogs are territorial. His barking may also piss off other neighbours and unlike the people who let their cats run wild I actually care about my neighbours and what they might think. The cats will sit in the backyard and then if the dog comes out they'll jump on the fence and stare at him almost goating hiim, he goes ape shit barking at them. They are also also shitting in my yard. In 9 years my dog has never ran loose or been more then 40 feet out of my sight when off my property, it pisses me off people let their animal run wild on to other peoples property.

My first thought was to shoot them but I thought better of it. If I catch them I will take them to the SPCA.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I had the same problem, one particular cat would come up to the patio door and cause my bro's dog to bark like crazy at odd hours of the night.

Simple solution: water. Cats hate water, and a soaked cat in cold weather learns its lesson very fast.

One day a cat was outside the patio door, so we grabbed some buckets of water, held the dog back, slowly opened the door and surprised the cat. It never came back.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
As soon as i hear racoons i let my big persian cat out and it scares the shit out of them and there all gone within 30 seconds lol all my cat needs to do is scream and run after them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I had the same problem, one particular cat would come up to the patio door and cause my bro's dog to bark like crazy at odd hours of the night.

Simple solution: water. Cats hate water, and a soaked cat in cold weather learns its lesson very fast.

One day a cat was outside the patio door, so we grabbed some buckets of water, held the dog back, slowly opened the door and surprised the cat. It never came back.
That's mean as hell....doing safe things around the yard to prevent the cats from coming is one thing but pouring cold water on them when its cold out is harming them and potentially killing them if the cat gets hypothermia.

Cover different areas of your backyard that you think cats might be able to squeeze in or drill some 2x4 on the top of your fence, cats wont jump if they are in doubt of not making it.

Last edited by donjalapeno; 11-05-2011 at 11:11 PM.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
no wolf urine?
better use your own piss.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
there were 2 raccoons mating or fighting making cat fight noise, i shot it with a bottle rocket and it just twitched staring at me

taking my rifle out next time i see those bastards

oh yeah and i see these skinny ass looking coyotes wondering around my hood as well...
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
That's mean as hell....doing safe things around the yard to prevent the cats from coming is one thing but pouring cold water on them when its cold out is harming them and potentially killing them if the cat gets hypothermia.
It is less mean than what my big dogs would do to animals that wandered on our property growing up.

I'll repeat: if you care about your pet, keep them inside or on a leash. You never know what could happen to them. Cold water is probably the least harmful suggestion of this thread.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #45
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Raccoons are highly intelligent and curious creatures but they are a nuisance to any homeowner. There are different kinds of racoons. These creatures can destroy gardens, make a mess by tipping over garbage cans, and can cause structural damage in search of food. They are extremely adaptable. They are often found in suburban and urban areas, making their homes in man-made structures like attics, sewers, barns and sheds. At times the man-made traps wouldn’t work and even if it works , it wouldn’t last for long. The only alternative solution to such problems is prevention as well as complete removal. These could be done by the professionals in humane raccoon removal.
Dards1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
or just use used coffee grinds

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #47
RS Lurker, I don't post!

If you want to humanely keep raccoon's out of your yard, garage etc. without traps or poisons, your best bet is to use Electronic Pest Repellents.

These work by using an Infrared Motion Sensor that blasts a High Pressure Ultrasonic Sound Wave that are undetectable to the human ear.

They can be found on amazon.com Amazon.com : Yard Sentinel, Outdoor Electronic Pest Animal Ultrasonic Repeller, with Ac Adaptor, Extension Cord : Home Pest Repellents : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Tipguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #48
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I believe they are illegal in the City of Vancouver but I don't know if that is still the case and if it extends to other cities/municipals.

This is why you don't really see any for sale at stores. I recall this being a fact because I went to the VPD Police Museum recently.
Search Results Page | Canadian Tire
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #49
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000HE8NL2?pc_redir=T1

I bought this from Amazon and it is pretty awesome lol. Was looking for a professional grade slingshot.

Also had 3 giant ass raccoons living in my back yard a few years ago. they were awesome
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote